Windows 10: How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!!

Discus and support How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did offer that in Post #2 , but it didn't seem to work for him?? (post#3) Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Feb 1, 2015.

1. davehc Win User

How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!!

I did offer that in Post #2 , but it didn't seem to work for him?? (post#3)

davehc, Feb 2, 2015
  2. Edwin New Member

Yeah, even with all the icons disabled, the search box still falls on the taskbar when opening the Start Menu! *Sad

Edwin, Feb 2, 2015
  3. The search box is positioned on the taskbar
    taskbar properties

How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!! [​IMG]
    Use small taskbar buttons = Sherlock icon

Use small taskbar buttons = Search box

The issue, as I see it, is that the icons on the taskbar don't shift right when the search box is opened with the magnifying glass. Should they?

My take is that you can only perform one operation at a time - enter search criteria in the search box or use the icons on the taskbar. I think the behavior is by design. Open the search box where it belongs and cover up the taskbar icons. I suppose the search box field could remain unused and icons would always be shifted right - but that takes up a lot of taskbar real estate.

Float above the taskbar ala start search is a good idea. Hey, I tested this and saw the issue .... now just to check..... the search box floats above the taskbar (WU???? - nah, just defender)

Wait-a-minit ... I did toggle the taskbar button size.
    cognus - try that., it might just be a sticky problem - I've seen a few where changes require more than one take (personlize - solid color background takes 3)

Taskbar properties -> General tab :

Use small taskbar buttons = Search box
    Apply

- then, flip it the other way -

Taskbar properties -> General tab :

Use small taskbar buttons = Sherlock icon
    Apply
    I think I'd go a little crazy(ier) if the icons were shifted every time I used search - but that's just my take.

Let's see what MS gives us next build !

Bill

Slartybart, Feb 2, 2015
  4. davehc Win User

Woops. Forgot again - I'm using the alternative start menu.

davehc, Feb 2, 2015
  5. Geneo Win User
    Don't autohide the task bar. This is the only workaround I know of.

Geneo, Feb 2, 2015
  6. caperjack Win User
    I know this has likely already been said ,but what does it matter if it covers the icons ,if your searching you don't need to use those icons anyway until you finish doing your search ,*Biggrin

caperjack, Feb 2, 2015
  7. cognus Win User
    edwin is on the right issue - I cannot reproduce it exactly on my other Win10 setup, but I got close and it appears to be related to Cortana setup. in both cases, I had not used the search-from-taskbar after a new build was installed, so it was "first run" in a sense. A tall rectangle pops up. In the first case, which started this misguided thread, I just ignored the 'above' and entered a search string for a local program - partially, and hit the key. after that point, whenever I hit the "Start", that tall rectangle would popup with the "stuck" search term and no results. finally rebooted.

on the 'other' Win10 setup, on a new build install [9926], the search-taskbar widget was different - it defaulted to the spyglas icon instead of the search box, but when I checked the "settings" on it , the 'search bar" appearance was actually checked. for fun I changed it and nothing happened - the spyglass remained. oh well. But when I entered a term, the Cortana Setup box popped up. Tall rectange [see screen capture]. But this time is diff, the box only persists if I go back to hitting the search function itself. When I hit the Start Button, I get the rectangular form of the Search Box off to the side where it should be, normal/small size, nothing else.

and just a related note - I took the bait to setup Cortana in the tall rectangle and opted-out, but the box still jumps up as though its waiting for first setup.

anyway - its beta code so....

Yeah, even with all the icons disabled, the search box still falls on the taskbar when opening the Start Menu! *Sad

cognus, Feb 2, 2015
  8. cognus Win User

image:

ah... i made it sorta replicate - this isnt exactly what I saw, but it is positionally consistent - the content of the rectangular popup is diff but the effect is the same, only the first instance I couldn't open the Start Menu without that box again 'sticking' on top of everything
    here:

cognus, Feb 2, 2015
  9. AddRAM Win User
    No clue why it`s not dissapearing if you click the desktop.

AddRAM, Feb 2, 2015
  10. if It's still happening, try dropping your screen resolution down a notch.

Slartybart, Feb 3, 2015
  11. cognus Win User
    no thanks. not taking a sledgehammer to a flea

cognus, Feb 3, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    @ cognus:
    2 questions:
    1.-Are you logged on with an MS account or a local account?
    2.-does that box still stick there as if it's waiting for you to make a decision to 'Get Started with Cortana'?
    (and you can't click on an empty space on the desktop to make it disappear?)

Edwin, Feb 3, 2015
  13. cognus Win User

Local only.
    and again to clarify: that "sticky" problem occurred on my X120e shortly after 9926 was first installed, and after a full reboot did not recur, but in truth I did not try to provoke it either, and needed to remove that HDD to get some work done. On a different system, I can provoke what I sent [second attachment] by opening the Menu, then sliding the cursor ever so slightly right so it 'trips' the search function which throws that Cortana un-setup box over the menu, but it does not 'stick'.
    Again, local only. It seems to be set for only one answer: login with your live/outlook/hotmail account

cognus, Feb 3, 2015
  14. cognus: Here are some suggestions you can test

Click on the Windows logo to dismiss the search dialog
    or
    press the Winkey
    or
    Alt-tab
    or
    connect to the Internet - you don't have to switch to a MSA, just be connected Cortana hangs (Settings Cortana and Speech hang on two of my installs)
    or
    expand or shrink Start
    or
    type something in the search box and try clicking anywhere else (WinLogo is a good place)

I have lots of tools in my toolbox - try some, just as a test.
    or
    wait until the next bld drop.

The sledgehammer doesn't fit in my toolbox - I have to go out back and get that out of the shed *Wink

Bill

Slartybart, Feb 3, 2015
  15. caperjack Win User
    the purpose of this preview is to help Microsoft get things right ,and using a MS acct is a must to send info back home to papa, to help with win10. its not going to work right on all computer ,so we must come to realise that and let some issues with win10 slide .*chuckle

caperjack, Feb 3, 2015
Thema:

1. How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!! - Similar Threads - rid used Search

2. How to get rid of playback menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of playback menu?: How do I get rid of this menu that appears whenever I want to change volume? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-rid-of-playback-menu/9a59b778-177e-4dae-ae20-fca8f168e58a
  3. How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?: I have just noticed that my search menu has become this monstrosity today. I can't find the option to turn these off anywhere.Does anyone know how to get rid of these? If there's no way to get these off, recommendations of alternative operating systems would also be...
  4. How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?: I have just noticed that my search menu has become this monstrosity today. I can't find the option to turn these off anywhere.Does anyone know how to get rid of these? If there's no way to get these off, recommendations of alternative operating systems would also be...
  5. Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu: Using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-rid-of-quick-searches-and-associated-telemetry/4cf89197-3e70-4fa2-a52d-4008d7af9018
  6. Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu: Using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-rid-of-quick-searches-and-associated-telemetry/4cf89197-3e70-4fa2-a52d-4008d7af9018
  7. Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Search Menu Blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Menu Blocked: Hi, when i press the windows button and directly start typing to search something, the menu is blocked by a grey part, and it disappears when i tap anywhere on the search menu. Anyway to fix this?...
  9. How to fix this Start menu getting blocked by search ‍♂️

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to fix this Start menu getting blocked by search ‍♂️: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/shafqramli [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m91bq4/how_to_fix_this_start_menu_getting_blocked_by/
  10. How to get rid of web search results in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of web search results in start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/flawr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hv7e5r/how_to_get_rid_of_web_search_results_in_start_menu/