Windows 10: How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!!

Discus and support How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Cortana UI hides along with the taskbar when set on 'Autohide' and freezes everything if the new Expandable Menu is up with the exception of escaping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Edwin New Member

How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!!

Cortana UI hides along with the taskbar when set on 'Autohide' and freezes everything if the new Expandable Menu is up with the exception of escaping via the Start button. Feedback sent.

How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!! [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 3, 2015
  2. Edwin New Member

In order to follow this procedure, you'll need to be signed on as administrator and you'll have to show 'Hidden files, folders and drives':

Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide - Windows 7 Help Forums

WARNING: This method essentially disables all web results and the Bing engine when searching from the Start Menu or the Taskbar Search;
    furthermore, it will completely disable, in fact, uninstall the entire Cortana/Search UI and you WILL NOT be able to retrieve it aside from doing a 'clean' installation.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend doing this just for kicks seeing as how we are all eager to try out Windows 10 features fully and completely, however, if you feel you must, please proceed with caution!

(Click on the pictures to enlarge)

First, right click on and uninstall the 'Search' App itself:

Next, disable the search interface from the taskbar, it will be non-functional anyway:

then navigate to the folder highlighted in red and pin the 'Search' icon to your taskbar:

then, invoke all searches from that icon, it will retrieve app/application, settings and file results; the web links will be 'dead':

Edwin, Feb 8, 2015
  3. How about just turning off the Search icon/box and then pinning the All users Start menu / Search to the taskbar.?

Taskbar -> Properties -> Toolbars -> Search on the taskbar : Disabled

An alternative method *Wink

Bill

Slartybart, Feb 9, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

I guess my underlying intention was to direct this method toward those that didn't want Cortana or Bing results to make an appearance whatsoever but, I couldn't find the thread so, I posted the method here.

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get rid of used Search which blocks my Menu!! - Similar Threads - rid used Search

2. How to get rid of playback menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of playback menu?: How do I get rid of this menu that appears whenever I want to change volume? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-rid-of-playback-menu/9a59b778-177e-4dae-ae20-fca8f168e58a
  3. How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?: I have just noticed that my search menu has become this monstrosity today. I can't find the option to turn these off anywhere.Does anyone know how to get rid of these? If there's no way to get these off, recommendations of alternative operating systems would also be...
  4. How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of ads in my start menu search?: I have just noticed that my search menu has become this monstrosity today. I can't find the option to turn these off anywhere.Does anyone know how to get rid of these? If there's no way to get these off, recommendations of alternative operating systems would also be...
  5. Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu: Using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-rid-of-quick-searches-and-associated-telemetry/4cf89197-3e70-4fa2-a52d-4008d7af9018
  6. Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu: Using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-rid-of-quick-searches-and-associated-telemetry/4cf89197-3e70-4fa2-a52d-4008d7af9018
  7. Get rid of Quick Searches and associated telemetry in the Searches menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Search Menu Blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Menu Blocked: Hi, when i press the windows button and directly start typing to search something, the menu is blocked by a grey part, and it disappears when i tap anywhere on the search menu. Anyway to fix this?...
  9. How to fix this Start menu getting blocked by search ‍♂️

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to fix this Start menu getting blocked by search ‍♂️: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/shafqramli [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m91bq4/how_to_fix_this_start_menu_getting_blocked_by/
  10. How to get rid of web search results in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of web search results in start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/flawr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hv7e5r/how_to_get_rid_of_web_search_results_in_start_menu/