Windows 10: How to get SMB2 or SMB3 working

Discus and support How to get SMB2 or SMB3 working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Win10 installed, and I have a media player on the network running LibreElec with KODI. On Win10 I have the Downloads folder shared on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by THRobinson75, Feb 6, 2019.

1. How to get SMB2 or SMB3 working

I have Win10 installed, and I have a media player on the network running LibreElec with KODI.

On Win10 I have the Downloads folder shared on the network, and on the Kodi system, I have to change the settings from using a minimum of SMB2 down to SMB1, then manually add the shared folder using the IP address and share folder name. Browsing won't find it at all. It use to, back when the media server was running Windows as well, but now, not at all.

How... on the Win10 system... do I get it to use SMB2 or SMB3?

:)

THRobinson75, Feb 6, 2019

2. Windows 10 1803 Server and Clients, problems with SMB. Network Path not found.

I would like to say, that with 1803 and Windows 7 clients no issues at all.

SMB2 seems to be working. Too bad we can't disable SMB3 without disabling SMB2 as well. There doesn't seem to be a way.

Justin Shafer, Feb 6, 2019
  3. SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

I've heard the same from several sources and have reverted to smb1. Even so, I wonder why smb2/smb3 isn't enough to provide access to the networked resources. Thanks for the reply.

m.b.

Major Bystander, Feb 6, 2019
  4. obeahcay Win User

How to get SMB2 or SMB3 working

Windows 10 November Update - cannot see other network devices

I'm struggling with this too. 100 users, mix of Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. The November update removed the ability of the Windows 10 machines to see more than a couple computers on the network- and no servers or NAS's show up. Any affected computer returns
    "system error 1231" on a regular or elevated command prompt with 'net view'.

I have tried everything on this list, and the only thing that works is disabling SMB2 and SMB3. Run the commands from this KB -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547
    - to disable. Use elevated PowerShell. With SMB2 and 3 disabled, my Windows 10 computers show all the nodes on the network, as they did before, and 'net view' performs as expected. Enabling SMB2 and SMB3 toggles
    it back.

I'm trying to figure out what is the common thread between the five computers that show up- it's not the case of the computer name, OS, or anything else I can figure out.

But turn SMB2 and SMB3 off and the net view and network in Windows Explorer display perfectly in Windows 10 after the 1511 update. Turn them back on, system error 1231 reappears.

I was hoping Microsoft would fix this in the November Patch Tuesday release, but doesn't appear to be included. This is

obeahcay, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

How to get SMB2 or SMB3 working

1. How to get SMB2 or SMB3 working - Similar Threads - SMB2 SMB3 working

2. How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?: I am getting this Windows error message when I try to open up an external hard drive. "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to \\MYCLOUDEX2Ultra\Public Microsoft Windows Network: You can't connect to the file share because it is not secure. This share requires the obsolete...
  3. How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?: I am getting this Windows error message when I try to open up an external hard drive. "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to \\MYCLOUDEX2Ultra\Public Microsoft Windows Network: You can't connect to the file share because it is not secure. This share requires the obsolete...
  4. How to user SMB2 on Windows?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to user SMB2 on Windows?: Hi, I have a problem accessing my Synology DS218J NAS from my Windows 10 desktop. I get the following error when I try to access it. [ATTACH] The NAS is working fine, as I can access the web portal from the same desktop. I can also access the NAS from other laptops and...
  5. Smb1 to smb2

Smb1 to smb2: My computers can't see my network drive so I need to upgrade from smb1 to smb2 so does anyone know how to do this? 149566
  6. smb 1 to smb2 upgrade

smb 1 to smb2 upgrade: I attached a USB 3 drive to my Linksys 7310 router, then mapped a network drive from one Win10 laptop to bulk several GB of files - no problem. When I try to map to that share with another Win 10 laptop, I get an error message that the share is using SMB 1, and SMB 2 is...
  7. aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10

aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10: Hallo Community, aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10 ? ( Ich will mit Win10 auf einem Windows NT Prof. SP3 Druckerserver im Intranet mit SMB1 drucken: entweder muß ich bei Win10 SMB1 aktivate oder bei Win NT SMB2 aktivate ) Antwort:...
  8. Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2: I have an external hard file connected to a WiFi network. When i try and access the file I now get a message from MS that SMB1 is no longer supported due to security problems. Use SMB2 instead. Where in MS land can I find more info?...
  9. How Can I Get SMB2 On Version 1803 Of Windows 10

How Can I Get SMB2 On Version 1803 Of Windows 10: Hi, How Can I get version SMB2 On Windows 10 so that I can access my File server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-can-i-get-smb2-on-version-1803-of-windows-10/77dd7b0b-3eae-49df-b695-2c223b8b9075
  10. Does Windows 10 home support smb3

Does Windows 10 home support smb3: Using windows 10 home as a test bed I cannot seem to connect to server 12 with smb3. Does win10home support smb3 or do I need to upgrade to pro? Thanks. 91124

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why are smb2 and smb3 removed?

2. smb 3 doesnt show up in windows 10

3. cant get smb3 to work synology

4. how to change from smb1 to smb3 with win10?,
  5. smb 3 not working on win10,
  6. how to get net view to work over smb2