Windows 10: How to get Snipping Tool to start in Clip Mode immediately AND prompt to save after...

Discus and support How to get Snipping Tool to start in Clip Mode immediately AND prompt to save after... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; tl;dr: In Windows 7 Snipping Tool opened it's crop selection immediately upon starting, in 10 you have to hit "New". You can add /clip as a value in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/saw141_official, Feb 1, 2020.

1. How to get Snipping Tool to start in Clip Mode immediately AND prompt to save after...

tl;dr: In Windows 7 Snipping Tool opened it's crop selection immediately upon starting, in 10 you have to hit "New". You can add /clip as a value in "Properties" for Snipping Tool but it does not let you save the selection or edit it; I want to be able to start the selection crop immediately, and be able to review and save the selection.

I found this Superuser post https://superuser.com/a/1314799 where a user describes how you can edit the starting target for Snippingtool.exe in it's Properties, and add "/clip". I did this, and it does make Snipping Tool open the cropping selection menu immediately...However when you do, it only copies your selection to the clipboard and does not open the menu for revision. So there's no option to highlight anything, draw on, or even save the selection if you add "/clip". I tried running SnippingTool.exe as an administrator (my user account already is a top admin account with full UAC) and that didn't work.

I found the Registry path for Snipping Tool at [Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\TabletPC\Snipping Tool] but configuring the values did not allow for this interaction, with or without "/clip" added to the target's start function. Is there possibly a non default Registry DWORD I could add to allow this?

tl;dr: In Windows 7 Snipping Tool opened it's crop selection immediately upon starting, in 10 you have to hit "New". You can add /clip as a value in "Properties" for Snipping Tool but it does not let you save the selection or edit it; I want to be able to start the selection crop immediately, and be able to review and save the selection.

submitted by /u/saw141_official
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/saw141_official, Feb 1, 2020

2. Unable to mail the snipped clip from Snipping tool option on Windows 10.

Hello Jensheahan,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Which mail application are you using on the computer?
    • Which is the default mail application set on the computer?
    • Is any mail client installed on the computer other than Mail app?

You will be able to select the mail application to send using Snipping tool by setting a default mail application on the computer.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if you are able to mail the snipped clip.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Windows Live Mail and select the top most search result.
    • From the dialog box select the application to set as default and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Open snipping tool, snip a clip and check if you are able to mail the clip using
      Windows Live Mail.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Siriously Win User
    Unable to mail the snipped clip from Snipping tool option on Windows 10.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. According to the April 27 response from
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    the Microsoft Snip Tool doesn't work with the Microsoft Windows 10 Mail app... a least I didn't pay real $$ for the upgrade to W10, I'm just paying in other ways. No wonder we need to buy someone elses
    stuff to make MSFT stuff work.

Siriously, Feb 1, 2020
  4. beblake3 Win User

How to get Snipping Tool to start in Clip Mode immediately AND prompt to save after...

How to start Snipping tool on Win10 in "ready to snip" mode.

Paul,

It was possible in Windows 7 to select an option in the Snip Tool to launch it in a ready-to-snip mode. Once that option was set, the tool always launched in that mode. The steps were: launch the tool, take a snip, save the snip.

I don't know if Windows 8 or 8.1 had this option, but Windows 7 most certainly did. I used it every day for several years. It made the tool much faster, and easier, to use.

Please pass along this information to the appropriate software team. They have taken away a useful option from this tool. It would be nice to get that option back.

Thanks,

Brian

beblake3, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

How to get Snipping Tool to start in Clip Mode immediately AND prompt to save after...

1. How to get Snipping Tool to start in Clip Mode immediately AND prompt to save after... - Similar Threads - Snipping Tool start

2. Snipping Tool "Zooming in" when Snips are Saved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping Tool "Zooming in" when Snips are Saved: Help - I use the Windows 11 Snipping Tool on a daily basis. Today it started only saving a small portion of the upper left corner of any snip I take, not the entire snip. Example below of a snip I took of an entire flower and the saved snip result of only a portion of this...
  3. Snipping Tool "Zooming in" when Snips are Saved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snipping Tool "Zooming in" when Snips are Saved: Help - I use the Windows 11 Snipping Tool on a daily basis. Today it started only saving a small portion of the upper left corner of any snip I take, not the entire snip. Example below of a snip I took of an entire flower and the saved snip result of only a portion of this...
  4. New Snipping Tool Won't Stop Prompting Me to Save Screenshots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Snipping Tool Won't Stop Prompting Me to Save Screenshots: How do I disable this constant prompting? It is very annoying. I don't want to save my screenshots. I usually paste them into another application. I have tried turning off and then on the Automatically save screenshots in Settings I guess it's stored in cache?. I want it to...
  5. New Snipping Tool Won't Stop Prompting Me to Save Screenshots

New Snipping Tool Won't Stop Prompting Me to Save Screenshots: How do I disable this constant prompting? It is very annoying. I don't want to save my screenshots. I usually paste them into another application. I have tried turning off and then on the Automatically save screenshots in Settings I guess it's stored in cache?. I want it to...
  6. Snipping Tool won't save

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Snipping Tool won't save: Hi Friends -The Snipping Tool won't save for me. It will open, it will let me snip whatever I need.It will also let me write on it or whatever but it won't save.I have already done the reset.Then I uninstalled and reinstalled.Still no saving. Help!...
  7. Snipping Tool won't save

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping Tool won't save: Hi Friends -The Snipping Tool won't save for me. It will open, it will let me snip whatever I need.It will also let me write on it or whatever but it won't save.I have already done the reset.Then I uninstalled and reinstalled.Still no saving. Help!...
  8. Snipping Tool won't save

9. SNIPPING TOOL WON'T SAVE!

in Windows 10 Customization
    SNIPPING TOOL WON'T SAVE!: past few months and the snipping tool still can save. having to click then save as does nothing. clicking the save buttonfloppy disk button does nothing also. clicking close, then snipping tool asks if i want to save, then i click yes, but it only closes the program. i tried...
  10. Trying to get Snip and Sketch tool to show the "Save as" window after snipping but it won't.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to get Snip and Sketch tool to show the "Save as" window after snipping but it won't.: At work, whenever I do a Snip and Sketch capture (using the Win+Shift+S shortcut), it shows your snip with the option to save a copy or edit. When I use the same shortcut at home or another office desktop, the edit/save as window does not show up. How do I get to window show...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. snipping tool prompts to hit new when opening window