Windows 10: How to Get Started with a New Computer

Discus and support How to Get Started with a New Computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Dell XPS 8900 desktop tower is on its way. My current desktop runs Windows 7. Is there a written guide anywhere that can tell me what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abredt, Nov 29, 2015.

1. abredt Win User

How to Get Started with a New Computer

My Windows 10 Dell XPS 8900 desktop tower is on its way. My current desktop runs Windows 7.

Is there a written guide anywhere that can tell me what to do to get it set up? I had such a guide for Windows 7 and it was very helpful.

Thanks, b

:)

abredt, Nov 29, 2015

2. How to sync with a new computer

Hi,

Please delete the old partnerships on your device in ActiveSync (on the device).

Then when you setup the new partnership it will work fine with the Windows_PC name.

If you want to backup the data before deleting the partnership use PPC PIM Backup - fromwww.dotfred.net.

Also, when you setup the new partnership you must choose the option to MERGE the data in order to retain it. Otherwise if you choose REPLACE, all your data in calendar, contacts, tasks and inbox will be erased.

Pocket PC FAQ - Pocket PC, Handheld PC and Windows CE FAQs, Reviews, Commentary, etc!

Pocket PC Talk - Your place for Pocket PC News

Chris De Herrera, Nov 29, 2015
  3. How to sync with a new computer

The short version of my problem is

I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 device, Samsung Omnia i900.

I used to sync it with a Toshiba laptop.

I’ve replaced the Toshiba with a new laptop.

They won’t sync.

I did a backup on the phone, then deleted the partnerships on the PC. Unfortunately, this deleted all the contacts on the phone. Not good.
    Fortunately, I had a backup, so I restored the phone info. People are telling me I need to delete the partnerships on the phone. This sounds reasonable, but I’m getting a little nervous about this.

here’s the longer version:

I've got a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows Vista Business. I had moved my files to it from my previous laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, using Windows Easy Transfer.
    I am trying to use Windows Mobile Device Center to synch with my Samsung Omnia i900.
    This used to work fine with the Toshiba, but something is not configured correctly when I want to use it with the Sony. When I go to the "Change Content Sync Settings" screen on the PC, "Windows PC" is checked.
    There is another listing for "Windows PC 2" which is grayed out - I can't select it. My phone lists both connections, but is insisting on connecting to "Windows PC2". The result is, they do "connect", but neither is really talking to the other:
    one is looking for "PC" the other is looking for "PC 2". If I delete the partnership on my phone, all the contacts and phone numbers vanish.
    Some information on my phone is newer than some information on the computer, so I don't want all those contacts to vanish.
    Fortunately, before I tried this, I did a backup, so I was able to restore my phone and bring back all my contacts. I can't delete the partnership on the computer unless the phone is connected, and if the phone is connected, all the information is
    gone once I delete the partnership. This is a new computer - it hasn't yet had a partnership with anything. There must be a way to get my phone to talk to this computer, rather than insisting I connect to my old computer..... I think the answer is
    someplace in the following article, but I haven't yet figured out how to do it:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/05/rename-windows-pc-2-computer-name-

in-wi
    ndows-mobile-device-center-wmdc/ Clues: If I open Active Sync on my phone, then click Menu, and then Options, I find the following:
    Windows PC (with Contats, calendar checked, and two grayed out boxes
    also checked, notes and Microsoft Office Onenote.
    (I assume this is from my old Toshiba.) I also find: "VaioTT" with everything grayed out.
    (This is a new name I created, hoping it would sync with my Sony.)

Michael J Myers, Nov 29, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

hello and welcome to tenforums ,, it should be all setup when it comes ,just turn it on and get started ,enjoy . check link for some good info .
    Windows 10 Demo

caperjack, Nov 29, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    You will have to create a user account and make a few other choices during the first boot.
    Do you want to use a Microsoft Account to login with or a local account? I'd recommend starting with a MS account so you are able to use Apps and the App Store. You can add a local account later if you want.

Ztruker, Nov 29, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I recommend starting with a local account first and then changing it to a Microsoft account. The reason I do that is because I want my user folder on my hard drive to be John. If you start with a Microsoft account first Windows creates the user name and I end up with something like johnhave or something like that that I don't want.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2015
  7. abredt Win User
    Choices already.

I was thinking of a step-by-step to start. Like:
    1 Make a system rescue disk
    2 Make a system image
    3 Get an antivirus
    ... ???

abredt, Nov 29, 2015
  8. caperjack Win User

just follow those 3 steps and you got the most important stuff covered ,, myself I don't make rescue disk or image ,or use 3rd party antivirus ,so I though you just wanted info on using win10 ..

caperjack, Nov 29, 2015
  9. abredt Win User
    If you don't have a rescue disk nor system image, how would you restore your system in case it has a serious problem?
    cb

abredt, Nov 29, 2015
  10. caperjack Win User
    I have a win10 iso I use ,I got off the internet .I have one on thumb drive ,one on DVD , just generic ones, they work on any computer ,I back up personal content to portable drive, and only use basic computer programs downloaded from the web

caperjack, Nov 30, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    You can't do any of this until you go through the initial login. After that the steps you listed are a good start though I use the builtin Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes Anti-malware Premium and Anti-exploit. #2 is key as far as I'm concerned. I backup every Friday using Macrium reflect Pro set for 1 full and 6 incremental.

Ztruker, Nov 30, 2015
  12. DavidG Win User
    I know this thread is old but I just ordered the same computer. I was searching and found a Dell site with some interesting diagnostic tests for the Dell XPS 8900. (see below)
    Test your system for hardware problems.
    Run a quick test to check for common errors with the processor, hard drive, memory, and optical drive. Or, choose a full test that performs a thorough analysis of your system.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-8900-desktop/diagnose

DavidG, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Get Started with a New Computer - Similar Threads - Started Computer

2. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?: My PC is old. I was playing all of those games exactly like I do now. EA FC 24, Minecraft, ...But since a while my PC shut down and restarted it self after starting one of these games. Somethimes the screen turnt white and I couldn't do anything so I had to shut it down by...
  3. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?: My PC is old. I was playing all of those games exactly like I do now. EA FC 24, Minecraft, ...But since a while my PC shut down and restarted it self after starting one of these games. Somethimes the screen turnt white and I couldn't do anything so I had to shut it down by...
  4. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

6. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

8. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?

10. Why does my PC turn black when I start a Computer game?