Windows 10: How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically?

Discus and support How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I would like to get the "Monitor identity number" which is on "Windows Display setting -> Rearrange your displays" menu. The numbers as in the picture... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkChoi, Dec 8, 2019.

1. MarkChoi Win User

How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically?

I would like to get the "Monitor identity number" which is on "Windows Display setting -> Rearrange your displays" menu.

The numbers as in the picture below.

Please refer to this link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56570256/how-do-i-get-the-windows-display-monitor-screen-identity-number-programmatically

This post describes my issue.

How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically? 70dc4508-54e5-44e1-8526-afd6b20b60d8?upload=true.png

Here are we I have tried so far. but, any of those are returning the data we want.

- EnumDisplayDevices, EnumDisplayMonitors, GetMonitorInfo functions from Windows GDI.

- Windows registry.

:)

MarkChoi, Dec 8, 2019
  2. KyleMit Win User

Windows 10 - Change Display Numbers / Identity

I can get to the display setting where I can re-order displays:

How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically? VkWCB.png

But is it possible to actually re-number them as well?

The reason simply re-ordering doesn't fit my use case, is because other applications, like Skype, will use the original numbers and locations, which leads to some counterintuitive selections

How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically? XGnEu.png

All of these threads just suggest using display settings to shuffle monitors around:

KyleMit, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 Login Screen not respecting primary display. Identity Issues?

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +X.

• Select Control panel.

• Click on Display.

• Select Change display settings at top left corner.

• Click on Identify then you will be able to check the primary display.
    Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Dec 8, 2019
  4. How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically?

How does one change their monitor's "Identity Number"?

I've been have problems that seems to be tied to Monitor Identity Numbers that fully ignores the settings for which monitor is set to main monitor. I have looked up for days through "Microsoft Support" and through the community in here
    (and in other places), and came to the conclusion that the majority of the answers I find are just ignorant people of what is actually being asked.

My current monitors I have are as shown below, with their "Identity Numbers" and with the addition of stating which one is marked "Make This My Main Display":

M422i-B1 (TV screen)

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Monitor Identity Number: 1

Acer LCD Monitor P201W (Computer Screen) "Main Display"

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Monitor Identity Number: 2

In the beginning prior to set-up, their "Identity Numbers" were originally swapped as the Acer was the original "Identity Number 1" screen, but now every time plug in a second screen (or monitor), it lists Acer as "#2". Despite the Acer Monitor is
    set to be the "Main Dispaly", almost all applications are opened up on my tv screen. The only way I can seem to remedy this is by moving them to the Acer Monitor and close the app on that one, but this would require to do upon right after logging into my pc.
    I
    have seen suggestions of using 3rd party applications for "Window Settings", only to be failed by the many versus the few stating that Windows OS supersede those settings in terms of "Monitor Identity".

To state, a lot of people seem to assume that the "Monitor's Identity Number" is not important, but in terms of experience (that seems many has shared), that this is actually relevant to the system regardless of the display settings
    for what is marked as the "Main Display".
    I do hope I get a proper answer for a question that has been asked for 10 years that seems to have not been dodged and/or misunderstood.
    To add, I do not seek for the answer of going through display setting and moving the monitors around as that too is, painfully in truth, a sign of ignorance.

I do apologize for typing up a long explanation, but sometimes, one needs to be detailed about the situation to show not just the big picture, but also the small ones the create the larger problem.

RenardTheKitsune, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically?

1. How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically? - Similar Threads - display identity number

2. How to programmatically disable snap for a window class

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to programmatically disable snap for a window class: I have a MDI application and on Windows11 I have Snap enabled. Works fine with one oddity. If I do not have my application's MDI document maximized, when I move over the maximize button, the Snap window appears. I can click and entry and my application Snaps not the MDI child...
  3. How to programmatically disable snap for a window class

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to programmatically disable snap for a window class: I have a MDI application and on Windows11 I have Snap enabled. Works fine with one oddity. If I do not have my application's MDI document maximized, when I move over the maximize button, the Snap window appears. I can click and entry and my application Snaps not the MDI child...
  4. How to change display numbers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change display numbers.: Got a dual monitor setup, however my main display, already set to main display, is identifying as monitor 2, causing most apps to startup on my secondary monitor. Furthermore even when turned off, my secondary monitor still identifies, meaning I can't open and use a variety...
  5. How to change display numbers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change display numbers.: Got a dual monitor setup, however my main display, already set to main display, is identifying as monitor 2, causing most apps to startup on my secondary monitor. Furthermore even when turned off, my secondary monitor still identifies, meaning I can't open and use a variety...
  6. Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number?: [ATTACH] Long story short, if I connect my main monitor to the DP port #1 on the graphics card it would show up in Windows as Display #3 and I would experience this weird issue where I would lose my multi-monitor configuration settings upon restart. In order to remedy the...
  7. How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2: I looked at a few posts. I tried the reg edit thing but it just made it back to the wrong order. I want to fix this because I want my main monitor in the middle to be 1 and the other 2. Help would be appreciated!...
  8. Taskbars not identical on multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbars not identical on multiple displays: I have two monitors attached to my Dell laptop through a Dell Thunderbolt docking station. Both taskbars have been identical forever until today. I disconnected my laptop from the docking station to carry to another room, and when I reconnected, my monitors were different...
  9. No display number

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No display number: Hi. I have an HP notebook and wish to display screen on tv. When I plug in HDMI cable, the display appears on tv, but notebook display goes black. When I go into display settings there is no display number showing so I cannot select 1/2. It did display originally but some...
  10. monitor Display Identities.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor Display Identities.: Hi, I have a AMD R9 280 video card. I am running Windows 10. I have a new LG 27" lcd desktop monitor, and a 40" Panasonic plasma wall mounted, for watching movies. Outputs from my vid card are hdmi out to lg, displayport out to hdmi in on my surround sound receiver that is...