Windows 10: How to get to secure boot setting in new UEFI interface

Discus and support How to get to secure boot setting in new UEFI interface in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently solved my updates problem here, by performing an in-place upgrade of windows. I am now trying to do the same for my neighbour who is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Treble, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Treble Win User

How to get to secure boot setting in new UEFI interface

I recently solved my updates problem here, by performing an in-place upgrade of windows. I am now trying to do the same for my neighbour who is experiencing the same problem. His machine is an ASUS A510U.

On entering UEFI settings I find a completely new interface where there is no mention of Secure Boot, which I need to ensure is disabled. The setting for CSM is disabled, so I can't see if legacy BIOS is available.

Can anyone advise how to overcome this problem please?

:)

Treble, Feb 25, 2018

2. how to access UEFI

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is an interface, not a storage location. Are you thinking of your UEFI partition? Why would you want to access it? You might cause damage to the boot environment.

Frederik Long, Feb 25, 2018
  3. Cumulutive update KB3163018 fails to install

Updating the thread after I managed to install the update. Perhaps it'll help someone, if they get error code 0x800F0922.

(At least for me) the problem was some sort of a contention between the update and my system using the UEFI secure boot option. If that's the case, you need to (temporarily) disable UEFI secure boot and install the update.

More info and credits to the guy who posted this thread:

UEFI Secure Boot May Cause Windows Updates to Fail With Error Code 0x800F0922 - Tips and Tricks

Hope this helps someone.

---

p.s.: the procedure described in the thread above requires disabling/enabling UEFI secure boot. Here's how to do it:

- You need to reboot your Windows into troubleshoot mode by holding the SHIFT key while clicking on "Restart".

- After a few seconds, you should get to a menu where you need to select:

Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart

- After the reboot, you'll get the Boot Manager. This stage is different for each Boot Manager, but you need to search for an option called something like UEFI options/settings and disable UEFI secure boot.

Danny Dickenson, Feb 25, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

If C is disabled, pc will be using UEFI. Secure boot is an option in bios somewhere. AFAIK all UEFI bioses have the ability to turn off secure boot.

Anyway, Windows 10 is "secure boot friendly" so does not need secure boot switched off.

cereberus, Feb 25, 2018
  5. Legacy 16-bit BIOS support (CSM) is being deprecated in all new UEFI systems and will be entirely removed by 2020. This was announced last year by Intel.

Why do you even need CSM? Most OS, including modern Linux distros will work just fine if you use their appropriate EFI loaders, even in dual boot configurations.

yowanvista, Feb 25, 2018
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why do you need to get into UEFI settings to do an in-place upgrade? An in-place upgrade is performed from inside Windows and requires no UEFI settings changes at all.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2018
  7. Treble Win User
    Thank everyone for your comments and advice. I decided to run the MS iso file and after many hours the job is done. No mention of secure boot in the process.
    My neighbour will be greatly relieved.
    Regards and thanks again.

Treble, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get to secure boot setting in new UEFI interface - Similar Threads - secure boot setting

2. How can i enable uefi and secure boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i enable uefi and secure boot?: so i wanted to try out windows 11 on my pc and it says it dosent meet the requirements because secure boot isn’t enabled. I tried changing the bios from legacy to ufei but when i pressed save and exit it kept going back to the bios until I switched it back to legacy please...
  3. how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled: as how the question goes, I can't find a way to manually enable secure boot itself even if secure boot control and UEFI is on and used. how do I enable it? like the secure boot in the BIOS settings of mine can't be changed but the secure boot control can be changed, I have...
  4. how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled: as how the question goes, I can't find a way to manually enable secure boot itself even if secure boot control and UEFI is on and used. how do I enable it? like the secure boot in the BIOS settings of mine can't be changed but the secure boot control can be changed, I have...
  5. Secure boot state off, but Secure boot is on in UEFI settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure boot state off, but Secure boot is on in UEFI settings: Hello, I have been trying to play Valorant, but every time I launch the game I get an error stating that TPM and secure boot need to be enabled. To start, I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-52KW running windows 11 The UEFI/BIOS I have is Insydeh20 setup utility version 2.06 I...
  6. Secure boot state off, but Secure boot is on in UEFI settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secure boot state off, but Secure boot is on in UEFI settings: Hello, I have been trying to play Valorant, but every time I launch the game I get an error stating that TPM and secure boot need to be enabled. To start, I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-52KW running windows 11 The UEFI/BIOS I have is Insydeh20 setup utility version 2.06 I...
  7. UEFI Secure boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Secure boot: hi guys...pls help meif i need windows 11 then it tells me to enable secure boot....but if i go to my BIOS and enable my secure boot it should show my desktop....but it is showing something to setup........
  8. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  9. UEFI with secure boot disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI with secure boot disabled: I ran a Belarc analysis and it showed a notification that the " UEFI with secure boot is disabled ".Is this a default setting or does it need to be enabled?I looked at the boot settings but was unable to figure out how to resolve this issue.I am not one who likes to guess at...
  10. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...