Windows 10: How to get Win 10 license key from a dead laptop

Discus and support How to get Win 10 license key from a dead laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Yesterday morning when I started my laptop (Dell 7140) , it went into BSOD and will not restart after 100% data collection. I had to hold the power key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MSWINUSER, May 4, 2021.

1. MSWINUSER Win User

How to get Win 10 license key from a dead laptop

Yesterday morning when I started my laptop (Dell 7140) , it went into BSOD and will not restart after 100% data collection. I had to hold the power key for 10.15 sec to power it off. I powered it on again and it went to BSOD a few seconds after the display of the DELL logo. The BSOD says PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR. If I remember correctly , I saw "update and shut down" at my last shut down. But I cannot be sure if I had a good start up between the last shut down and the BSOD yesterday morning. Here was the sequence of diagnostic work I did 1.After two times of Power up, BSOD, manual power down , the 3rd power up will allow me to go into recovery. I went to trouble shoot/advance option/ select 'uninstall updates'. The latest quality update was uninstall successfully. But uninstall of the latest feature update was not successful. 2. Start the 7140 and got BSOD again. 3. All Dell hardware diagnostic ran OK. 4. Restart 7140, still BSOD. 5.I used the WIN 10 install USB key (downloaded from Microsoft) to perform "Startup repair" , got "Startup repair could not repair your PC" 6. I tried to do "System restore". But I did not have a system image to restore from. 7.Tried start up in safe mode, But BSOD before anything happened. This laptop (Dell 7140) came with WIN8 pro pre-installed and was upgraded to WIN 10 a year ago. I am stuck now. I don't mind losing data and install from scratch. But I do not have the license key. On my other WIN7 laptops, the license key sticker was on the bottom. But I found nothing on my 7140. I used the WIN10 USB before. It does not ask for license key for system repair. But it will ask when install from scratch. Can some one suggest on how I can get my license key from my WIN 10 system which cannot come up.

:)

MSWINUSER, May 4, 2021
  2. MSWINUSER Win User

Yesterday morning when I started my laptop (Dell 7140) , it went into BSOD and will not restart after 100% data collection. I had to hold the power key for 10.15 sec to power it off. I powered it on again and it went to BSOD a few seconds after the display of the DELL logo. The BSOD says PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR.

If I remember correctly , I saw "update and shut down" at my last shut down. But I cannot be sure if I had a good start up between the last shut down and the BSOD yesterday morning.

Here was the sequence of diagnostic work I did

1.After two times of Power up, BSOD, manual power down , the 3rd power up will allow me to go into recovery. I went to trouble shoot/advance option/ select 'uninstall updates'. The latest quality update was uninstall successfully. But uninstall of the latest feature update was not successful.

2. Start the 7140 and got BSOD again.

3. All Dell hardware diagnostic ran OK.

4. Restart 7140, still BSOD.

5.I used the WIN 10 install USB key (downloaded from Microsoft) to perform "Startup repair" , got "Startup repair could not repair your PC"

6. I tried to do "System restore". But I did not have a system image to restore from.

7.Tried start up in safe mode, But BSOD before anything happened.

This laptop (Dell 7140) came with WIN8 pro pre-installed and was upgraded to WIN 10 a year ago. I am stuck now. I don't mind losing data and install from scratch. But I do not have the license key. On my other WIN7 laptops, the license key sticker was on the bottom. But I found nothing on my 7140. I used the WIN10 USB before. It does not ask for license key for system repair. But it will ask when install from scratch.

Can some one suggest on how I can get my license key from my WIN 10 system which cannot come up.

MSWINUSER, May 4, 2021
  3. SoFine409 Win User

Welcome to the forum MSWINUSER.
    If you upgraded to Win10 via the free upgrade program then your license is an OEM and is not transferable to another PC.

SoFine409, May 4, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

No, you won't have the key on a sticker. As it was supplied with Win8 pre-installed by the OEM, then it has its Win8 key embedded in the firmware. When you boot from a Win10 install usb it will read this key from the firmware, use it to choose the correct edition to install (Home or Pro) and to activate it.

At no point will you be asked for a key, or even which edition to install. Setup handles it all based on the key it finds in the bios.

Bree, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. How to get Win 10 license key from a dead laptop - Similar Threads - license key dead

2. Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop: Hi,I had purchased a Windows 10 Professional Upgrade License for my laptop. However, the laptop's motherboard burnt out and the laptop is useless. Can someone please guide me on how I can go about getting the Win Pro Upgrade License transferred to my desktop which is running...
  3. Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop: Hi,I had purchased a Windows 10 Professional Upgrade License for my laptop. However, the laptop's motherboard burnt out and the laptop is useless. Can someone please guide me on how I can go about getting the Win Pro Upgrade License transferred to my desktop which is running...
  4. Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine: My US English Windows 10 Pro laptop has failed here in Brasil. I purchased a new Acer notebook but it has a single language windows 10 Home in Portuguese. Can I restore my English Win 10 Pro to my new notebook?...
  5. Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine: My US English Windows 10 Pro laptop has failed here in Brasil. I purchased a new Acer notebook but it has a single language windows 10 Home in Portuguese. Can I restore my English Win 10 Pro to my new notebook?...
  6. Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop: Hello! A laptop I had, using a retail license of Windows 10 Pro, died a while ago and cannot be repaired - the laptop remained at the seller and he sent a replacement unit which is yet to arrive. Is there any way I can migrate the Pro license to a new machine? Thank you for...
  8. Win 10 License activation PC dead

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 License activation PC dead: I upgraded quite awhile ago to Win 10 for free. I've moved out of state and finally hooked my computer back up to find that the license needs activating (where do I get THAT code now?) and it's constantly running extremely slowwwwwwww. So I chose to turn off wifi just to...
  9. Win 10 licensing from Win 7 OEM key

Win 10 licensing from Win 7 OEM key: We have a large number of Dell systems in our organisation, currently on windows 7 PRO licensed with Dell OEM. Can we use the windows 7 or 8 Dell OEM key embedded in the motherboard to upgrade the system to Windows 10 PRO free of charge?...
  10. Transfer license from the dead

Transfer license from the dead: My laptop died, as in the cylinders were ratting around. Idiot me tossed it before it dawned on me that I might not get full windows 10 on my new laptop. Which turned out to be a Surface - it comes with Windows 10 S (which seems to be a 'we want to protect you from...