Windows 10: How to get Win10 media on a replacement hard drive--no recovery usb available?

Discus and support How to get Win10 media on a replacement hard drive--no recovery usb available? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My hard drive failed. I have file history backups, but I don't believe it includes the OS. I have a recovery drive from another PC, but it does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TOMPETERSEN1, Nov 12, 2018.

1. How to get Win10 media on a replacement hard drive--no recovery usb available?

My hard drive failed. I have file history backups, but I don't believe it includes the OS. I have a recovery drive from another PC, but it does not complete the recovery. How can I get WIN10 media on my new hard drive? It is an HP Pavilion that was purchased with pre-installed OS in 12/2016.

:)

TOMPETERSEN1, Nov 12, 2018

2. Won't boot after Win10 recovery

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the Win10 Media Creation Tool and selected "Create installation media for another PC", using a USB thumb drive. Tried plugging it into the Toshiba ultrabook and got the same result - nothing after the splash screen. (The hard drive light continues
    for a minute or so after the blank screen, then stops.)

Decided to try the steps listed under "Create a bootable copy on a blank DVD or USB thumb drive". I re-formatted the thumb drive. Downloaded the .iso file, right-clicked on it, selected "Burn Disk Image", but the thumb drive wasn't an option. It appeared
    to be looking for a DVD drive or nothing.

I appreciate all of your suggestions, but I'm still stuck. I almost think I'd need to buy a new hard drive with Win10 already installed and try replacing the hard drive in the ultrabook. Probably won't do that, though, since my goal is to contribute it
    somewhere it's needed and wouldn't want to sink the extra money into it to do so.

Any other ideas?

EricBroder, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Tim B285 Win User
    Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Nov 12, 2018
  4. How to get Win10 media on a replacement hard drive--no recovery usb available?

Cannot create recovery drive or bootable usb using media creation tool

Hi Stuart,

To assist you better with your concern, are you getting an error message upon creating a recovery drive, as well as creating a bootable USB drive? If yes, what's the error message?

In addition to that, have you tried the steps from the following articles:

Regards.

Marque Lor, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

How to get Win10 media on a replacement hard drive--no recovery usb available?

1. How to get Win10 media on a replacement hard drive--no recovery usb available? - Similar Threads - Win10 media replacement

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive replacement: The Dell OptiPlex 3050 AIO with a 4GB RAM that I use has been slow. As I type this message, with just Firefox in use, the 84% of the memory is used according the the Processes screen. In fact last week, the system stopped and the blue screen appeared with a message 'Memory...
  6. Replacing the Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing the Hard drive: I have a Toshiba laptop with 300 GB hard driver. I want to replace the hard drive with 1 TB. what is the simplest way to replace without disturbing my drivers and installed software?...
  7. Getting new hard drive replaced.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting new hard drive replaced.: Something bad happened to my laptop, and I took it to a local engineer, he told me that hard drive needs to be replaced with a new one. My laptop had windows 8 pre installed when I bought it, and I had upgraded it to windows 10 using the official way, thus it had activated...
  8. Hard drive replace

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive replace: I had a corrupt Hard drive and sent my laptop off to be fixed. They have replace the failed hard drive and update the operating system. I have now lost everything, photos, documents etc. not that great with tech through some research I'm guessing everything was saved on my...
  9. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  10. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...