Windows 10: How to get Win10 & Word/PDF to recognize a font (or embed it)

Discus and support How to get Win10 & Word/PDF to recognize a font (or embed it) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to upload a PDF of the text of a formatted book to a printing company (Ingram). They keep rejecting the file because one critical font is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MarkB, Jul 7, 2021.

1. MarkB Win User

How to get Win10 & Word/PDF to recognize a font (or embed it)

I'm trying to upload a PDF of the text of a formatted book to a printing company (Ingram). They keep rejecting the file because one critical font is not embedded. I've tried printing (from Word) to PDF. That permits you to set preferences and you can identify specific fonts to embed. Problem is that one font doesn't appear on the list, even though it's loaded on my computer. I tried uninstalling the font and reinstalling to no avail. When you print to PDF fonts are supposed to be automatically embedded, but it doesn't happen. I tried this on my desktop and a laptop with same results. Win10 home Lenovo PC thanks.

:)

MarkB, Jul 7, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Embed Fonts in PDF - Problem with paper size

I format books for print, and my client needed the fonts embedded when I save the Word (Windows 10) file as a PDF. I was able to do this by using this suggestion from someone here:

Your best option is to use one of the free PDF virtual printers available on the web. Free PDF Printer is a great free option and includes the option to embed fonts in your documents. Since you are producing PDF's for print, you would be better to use
    this printer than the Print to PDF option as there are huge issues with fonts in the Microsoft PDF production . . .Simply select print and then choose the virtual printer to create your pdf, the software has 2 options, Embed all fonts or subset fonts.

NEW PROBLEM: The fonts are embedded now, but my client discovered that the PDF I sent to her is the wrong page size. The Word 2007 file was 6x9 for a print book, but after I embedded the fonts per instructions above, the page size became 8.5 x 11. What
    can I do to fix this so the PDF file is still 6x9?

Tenforo, Jul 7, 2021
  3. Tenforo Active Member
    pdf of Word 2016 File shows non-embedded fonts which weren't used

Hi JT,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

I can understand the situation must be difficult for you when the application doesn't work as it should.

Please answer this question to get more clarity on this issue:

• Do you have Adobe software suite installed on the computer?

However, follow these methods to check if that helps.

Method A: As you are exporting the file as PDF, suggest you to open the Word Doc and go to File >Print > under printer option select Print to PDF. Check if that helps.

Method B: After creating a document, go to File >Save as > select PDF under save as type > Select Standard (publishing online and printing) option in the Save As dialog > click on Options> Uncheck Bitmap text when fonts may not be embedded.
    This will embed a subset of the font in the PDF, meaning that only the font characters actually used in your document are embedded. This normally makes it impossible to edit the PDF using the embedded font.

Now try to print this PDF to check if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Tenforo, Jul 7, 2021
  4. Tenforo Active Member
    Fonts stopped working after updating Windows 10

Hi,

Non-standard fonts need to be installed on a computer so that they'll be displayed properly. If a document with non-standard fonts is opened on a computer without those fonts, the text will be displayed with standard fonts like Arial or Calibri instead.
    However, depending on the program you're using to create documents, there may be an option to embed the font. For example, in Word 2016, you can embed the font in a document by following these steps:

• Click File.
    • Choose Options.
    • Click Save.
    • Check Embed fonts in the file.
    • Click OK.

Let us know if you have any other concerns about fonts on your computer.

Tenforo, Jul 7, 2021
Thema:

How to get Win10 & Word/PDF to recognize a font (or embed it)

1. How to get Win10 & Word/PDF to recognize a font (or embed it) - Similar Threads - Win10 Word PDF

2. How to embed fonts in Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to embed fonts in Word: How do I embed fonts in MS Word file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-embed-fonts-in-word/06f9eca9-5039-42af-9b03-4f4c914699af
  3. How to embed fonts in Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to embed fonts in Word: How do I embed fonts in MS Word file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-embed-fonts-in-word/06f9eca9-5039-42af-9b03-4f4c914699af
  4. Word to PDF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word to PDF: Is there anyway to convert WORD to PDF directly from Windows Explorer without having to open and save as PDF? If not, Microsoft can we add that option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-to-pdf/1239413f-8684-4451-a9f0-399ea7790dbb
  5. Word to PDF

Word to PDF: Is there anyway to convert WORD to PDF directly from Windows Explorer without having to open and save as PDF? If not, Microsoft can we add that option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-to-pdf/1239413f-8684-4451-a9f0-399ea7790dbb
  6. PDF and Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF and Word: I thought it would be a good idea for myself to change all my PDF files to open automatically with word. Now none of my files will open that converted to work. I need to change them all back to PDF because now I'm unable to access any course material. Thank you....
  7. PDF and Word

PDF and Word: I thought it would be a good idea for myself to change all my PDF files to open automatically with word. Now none of my files will open that converted to work. I need to change them all back to PDF because now I'm unable to access any course material. Thank you....
  8. Unable to Embed a Youtube Video in my word document

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Embed a Youtube Video in my word document: I am unable to embed a Youtube video into Microsoft word 2010 at this time. I click insert, but the media-video online does not show up or drop, it is not there at all. Does the 2010 version have this capability or do I need to something else? I know it can be done, I have...
  9. PDF to Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF to Word: I need to convert my PDF to Word. It says to right click on the PDF, but it's not offering any other format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-to-word/9a2f1e55-8593-45dd-9eb8-2248f412bec1"
  10. custom fonts to embed in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    custom fonts to embed in windows 10: Why cant you change the font throughout the windows 10 platform? I'd like to change mine to Iron Maiden font for the entire computer! Anyone know a way around the strict/ lame font settings??...