Windows 10: How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive?

Discus and support How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive? Trying to load Turbotax cd. Connected the cd drive. Starts to boot, then shuts down.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NYSRich, Feb 27, 2021.

1. NYSRich Win User

How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive?

Trying to load Turbotax cd. Connected the cd drive. Starts to boot, then shuts down.

I can use the vlc media player to watch movies. Media player does not recognize the Turbotax cd.

Can anyone please give me some help with this?

Thank you in advance,

:)

NYSRich, Feb 27, 2021

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive? [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Feb 27, 2021
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Joosujin Win User

CD/DVD drive is not correctly displayed

All the resolutions listed under Method 1 apply to the cases when CD/DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs. Fortunately, my drive is recognized by Windows and other programs. I tried all the step-by-step resolutions listed, but did not
    work. For some reason, my CD/DVD drive icon is not the right icon for the drive, and is for compact flash. Any idea?

I also reset my BIOS settings back to factory reset, but it did not help.

Joosujin, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

1. How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive? - Similar Threads - pro recognize external

2. External CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External CD/DVD Drive: Hi Microsoft : I recently purchased an external cd/dvd drive. The problem is with re-writeable CDs. FORMATTING and re-writing. The unit works with re-writeable DVDs FORMATTING and re-writing. When I checked in DEVICE MANAGER, it lists the drive with the HP brand. Listing it...
  3. CD/DVD external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD external drive: When trying to eject a disc from a external driver. I get the following error message: An errer occurred while ejecting yje cd. What does this mean and how do i fix this problem?...
  4. External CD/DVD drives

External CD/DVD drives: After the last Windows update my Computer does not see the external drive. When I connect an external drive the is an indication by the computer that a device has been inserted, but when I go to This Computer it does not show a CD or DVD external drive. Worked well befor...
  5. Windows 10 CD/DVD Drive not recognized; internal or external

Windows 10 CD/DVD Drive not recognized; internal or external: I know this is an old and seriously aggrivating problem but the comments are locked and I have not been able to resolve. I did the reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 thing and that did not...
  6. External cd/dvd Drive

External cd/dvd Drive: 2.0 usb external hard drive not working with my 3.0 port laptop. My laptop is a new HP i7, 8gb, 1 tb. The laptop has a 3.0 port and the external drive is a 2.0 Verbatim slimline cd/dvd writer. Using the installation cd, components of the external drive were installed on my...
  7. CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows

CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  8. Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD part of my external DVD/CD drive

Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD part of my external DVD/CD drive: Windows 10, Cocopa external DVD/CD writer. Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-does-not-recognize-the-dvd-part-of-my/b0d37d42-8936-4ffa-b689-3d511ed2ca19
  9. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  10. CD/DVD drive not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized: I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had...