Windows 10: How to get Windows 10 to control brightness of EXTERNAL Monitor connected to laptop computer

Discus and support How to get Windows 10 to control brightness of EXTERNAL Monitor connected to laptop computer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My SP3 (Windows 10, i5 4300) is always connected to an external monitor through the mini dp with an HDMI adaptor and cable to the monitor(s) but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GavinNg, Nov 7, 2018.

1. GavinNg Win User

How to get Windows 10 to control brightness of EXTERNAL Monitor connected to laptop computer

My SP3 (Windows 10, i5 4300) is always connected to an external monitor through the mini dp with an HDMI adaptor and cable to the monitor(s)

but the brightness setting from Windows itself can't control the brightness of external monitor(s)

for instance, when i slide the brightness bar only the brightness of the SP3 itself will change but not the external monitor(s)

I have installed most up to date drivers for the graphic card and the monitor(s)

Hard control on the monitors will be sort of disabled as long as connected to SP3 (nor an older laptop with Win10), the slider can move from 100 to 0 but brightness won't change

However, even though the hard control can be made working, I still not gonna use it as I would prefer the auto dimming function that's come with the SP3 or most other laptop nowadays.

I have seen someone say HDMI or DP can't transfer hardware control info/ command which i doubt..... if that's the case then are we suppose to switch back to D-Sub?

I currently using Pangolin to "Dim" the external monitor, however it isn't a genuine control. Instead it's adding a layer of grey (or other color) on top of what's displaying. The Windows menu, context menu and task bar ain't dimmed. And when doing screen capture, the pictures are greyed per the "dim" amount.

So my question is is there anyway that I can get the SP3 (or other laptop) to control the brightness of external monitor(s).

ps from my memory I'm having this issue since perhaps more than 10 years ago when my desktop has DVI-HDMI connection with the monitor.

:)

GavinNg, Nov 7, 2018

2. monitor brightness?

Hi Tom,

To change your Windows 10 monitor brightness, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo; then, search for Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Choose Power Options.
    • On the next screen you should see brightness slider at the bottom of the Control Panel window.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Nov 7, 2018
  3. kjpsv Win User
    Can't adjust brightness on external monitor

It's got everything to do with Windows 10 because that's the operating system that should let me control the brightness of an external monitor. The Surface Book is both a tablet and a laptop, so there's nothing weird about connecting an external monitor
    to it. What do you mean by "this country"? This forum is international.

kjpsv, Nov 7, 2018
  4. kjpsv Win User

How to get Windows 10 to control brightness of EXTERNAL Monitor connected to laptop computer

Can't adjust brightness on external monitor

A surface book is a tablet, which is irrelevant when the heading says EXTERNAL monitor. And no, there obviously aren't any buttons on
    LED Cinema Display monitors, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this message.

By the way, by spending hours searching the Internet and doing some serious "hacking" I have now managed to control the brightness on the external monitor. Not thanks to this forum or Microsoft's audacity
    to offer paid support for something as simple as getting a £2500 computer to
    control the brightness of an external monitor.

kjpsv, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get Windows 10 to control brightness of EXTERNAL Monitor connected to laptop computer - Similar Threads - control brightness EXTERNAL

2. Windows 11: Laptop Brightness Dims when I Connect/Disconnect External Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Laptop Brightness Dims when I Connect/Disconnect External Monitor: Please see video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Ann9iLAdmVP02itsGdcm7DoBuxubwJ0/view?usp=sharingMy laptop changes brightness when I connect/disconnect external monitor. This has been an issue for a while, ever since I upgraded to Windows 11. This never happened on Windows...
  3. Windows 11: Laptop Brightness Dims when I Connect/Disconnect External Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: Laptop Brightness Dims when I Connect/Disconnect External Monitor: Please see video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Ann9iLAdmVP02itsGdcm7DoBuxubwJ0/view?usp=sharingMy laptop changes brightness when I connect/disconnect external monitor. This has been an issue for a while, ever since I upgraded to Windows 11. This never happened on Windows...
  4. Can't access brightness settings or connect to an external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access brightness settings or connect to an external monitor: Hoping someone can help here, I can't access my brightness settings or connect to an external monitor. This happened after my computer forcibly restarted itself after displaying an error code that looked something like igkhm64, I googled the code when I could still remember...
  5. How can I control the brightness of my monitor with my keyboard's brightness controls?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I control the brightness of my monitor with my keyboard's brightness controls?: I bought the Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop keyboard. It has brightness function keys. They obviously work because the brightness slider appears in the upper left corner of the screen but the actual brightness doesn't react to the changes. Until now I have been using...
  6. How to Control Brightness in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Control Brightness in Windows 10: The brightness of my computer is breaking again and again. It stays bright, after few seconds, it goes less bright and again full bright. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-control-brightness-in-windows-10/d63c43c6-f3f1-4bf6-bbaf-f0c9b459598a
  7. External monitor is not connecting in windows 10

External monitor is not connecting in windows 10: After recent update my laptop is not detecting external monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-is-not-connecting-in-windows-10/24590d76-c527-4ce4-a25c-38bb72e97a9f
  8. Windows 10 Brightness control for external monitors

Windows 10 Brightness control for external monitors: Hi, so you can adjust the brighntess of your monitor via hdmi, its an hdmi feature and for macOS there is a programm called Monitor Control which really changes your brightness of your monitor Is there an app for windows too ? Why isnt it in the system itself...
  9. External Monitor too bright

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor too bright: Acer external monitor on Windows 10 32 bit. There is no physical button on the monitor offering brightness control. There is no way of getting into the User option which you can move to but not change And Windows does not offer a brightness control/slider Help!...
  10. Control Monitor Brightness Through Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Control Monitor Brightness Through Windows?: Kind of a niche issue, but I recently decided to add a portable 13" monitor below my ultrawide to display system monitors and play videos while doing other things on my primary display. It's worked out really well, but the main issue i've been having is that the 13" monitor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot select brightness external monitor

2. how to control brightness in external monitor

3. how to adjust a computer monitor brightness when its connected to a laptop

4. how do i reduce the brightness on an external display connected to a laptop,
  5. windows adjust brightness of monitor connected to laptop,
  6. how to change brightness on a monitor connected to9 laptop,
  7. how to control brightness on external monitor connected to laptop,
  8. how to change brightness on monitor connected to laptop,
  9. windows control brightness on external monitor,
  10. increase brightness on my monitor when connected to lapto external,
  11. how do i get brightness on laptop to transfer to monitors,
  12. monitor brightness connected to laptop,
  13. how to change the brightness on your monitors if connected to laptop,
  14. decreasing brightness on monitor when laptop connected,
  15. how to change the brightness settings on my monitor connected by hdmi