Windows 10: How to get Windows 10 to go to Sleep using an external keyboard when Windows 10 is locked

Discus and support How to get Windows 10 to go to Sleep using an external keyboard when Windows 10 is locked in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I have Windows 10 with the latest patch 1909. I have my laptop MSi GE62 Apache set to not go to Sleep when I close the lid, I have the lid closed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ScottFerrell4151, May 7, 2020.

1. How to get Windows 10 to go to Sleep using an external keyboard when Windows 10 is locked

Hi

I have Windows 10 with the latest patch 1909.

I have my laptop MSi GE62 Apache set to not go to Sleep when I close the lid, I have the lid closed, and I have 2 external monitors connected.

I just replaced my USB keyboard. The previous USB keyboard was from HP. It has a Sleep key on it. When I press the Sleep key on it even when the computer was locked the laptop would go to sleep. My new USB keyboard is from Velocifire. It does not have a Sleep key on it. It does have the ability to program keys. I want to know how to send the Sleep command to my computer and have my computer go to Sleep even when my computer is locked requires a password to unlock. Right now I have to log in then press Win + X then U then S.

In other words... on external keyboards that have a Sleep key, what is the string of characters that is sent when pressing the Sleep key? I presume it is the same string of characters that is sent when closing the lid on the laptop or pressing the Power button on the laptop if the laptop is setup to go to Sleep when the lid is closed or the Power button is pressed. Once I have this string of characters I will attempt to program my USB keyboard with that string of characters and test whether it is able to make the laptop go to Sleep when Windows 10 is locked.

Thanks in advance

Scott

:)

ScottFerrell4151, May 7, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 7, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, May 7, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

How to get Windows 10 to go to Sleep using an external keyboard when Windows 10 is locked

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, May 7, 2020
Thema:

How to get Windows 10 to go to Sleep using an external keyboard when Windows 10 is locked

1. How to get Windows 10 to go to Sleep using an external keyboard when Windows 10 is locked - Similar Threads - Sleep using external

2. Windows 10 quick to go to sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 quick to go to sleep.: My desktop computer (Windows 10 Version 1803-build 17618-1000) constantly wants to go to sleep. If I leave it idle for a minute or two, it goes to sleep. I have tried any manner of fixes with no results. In my research, it is hinted that a recent update from Microsoft may be...
  3. Windows 10 does not go to sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 does not go to sleep.: I notice that when I get up in the morning my desktop is not in it's usual sleep mode. The power settings says that the monitor should go to sleep after 10 minutes and the computer after 30 minutes of inactivity. This started happening just after the last large Windows...
  4. Windows 10 crashes on going to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 crashes on going to sleep: Windows 10 x64 ; older desktop with up-to-date patches Since about mid Nov 2019 this system has been crashing on entering sleep mode. Nice feature of upgrading to Windows 10 was "sleep" finally worked. Until now. I have about 10 minidumps starting from that time, altho...
  5. Win 10 showing lock screen when going to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 showing lock screen when going to sleep: hi there, since about 6 months, with one of the last updates, the PC started something odd, and my wife's computer is doing exactly the same, 2 laptops, one asus one lenovo.. so when you click power button for going into sleep mode, the lock screen flashes back for like...
  6. WIN 10 Not locking when going to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN 10 Not locking when going to sleep: Specs: Win 10 Pro 64 bit desktop Version 1803 Build 17134.407 Installed 11/10/2018 Since the update to 1803 if the computer goes to sleep upon wake up it does not require pin/password to login to the last account that was active. There used to be a setting for...
  7. How do i prevent external HDD to go in sleep in windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i prevent external HDD to go in sleep in windows 10 ?: I am using windows 10 in my laptop and desktop. I am having a problem with my external HDD. Windows automatically disconnects my external HDD after 30-40 minutes. I have tried all but still it disconnects with a sound. In windows 7 all same steps worked for me but I don't...
  8. Windows 10 is not going to sleep anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 is not going to sleep anymore: Hello people and sry for my bad english my system was running completely fine before two last days. now my computer is not going to sleep anymore when i click sleep button the screen goes off but my pc power fans hard disks and .... is on then i need hard reset it to get...
  9. Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Windows To Go Workspace using Sleep on Windows 10 PC editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external drive on...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't go to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 doesn't go to sleep: My computer does not go to sleep mode for some reason. I can get it to sleep mode manually but it doesn't do it automatically like it shows in the power option that I had set to 5 minutes. The display does turn off on its own. its just the that the PC wont go to sleep mode on...