Windows 10: How to get Windows Home edition on to the new SSD on my laptop?

Discus and support How to get Windows Home edition on to the new SSD on my laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a PC I originally bought with Windows 8. I upgraded this to 8.1 and then to Win 10 just before the end of the free Windows 10 upgrade offer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by versiondisaster, Apr 2, 2019.

1. How to get Windows Home edition on to the new SSD on my laptop?

I have a PC I originally bought with Windows 8. I upgraded this to 8.1 and then to Win 10 just before the end of the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

I took this PC for some support when out of town. After the issue in question was resolved, I asked the guy in the shop if he could do anything to speed up PC performance. All communication I had with this gent was done via someone translating as I don't speak the required language of the place I visited. The support guy recommended removing the DVD player and installing a SSD disk in the bay where the DVD player was. He said this was since the age of the PC meant that the HDD was slow. He also suggested putting Windows on to this new SSD. After he did so, I briefly checked the PC in the shop before I left. While things weren't exactly as I expected, the PC seemed faster. The SSD is now drive C and the disk originally in the PC is now drive D.

I'm now back home and fired up the PC in more seriousness. I have discovered that the version of Windows on the SSD isn't the same installation as is on the original HDD in the PC. Windows 10 Home Edition is on the original HDD. Windows 10 Enterprise is on the new SSD. This generated numerous issues:

1) I have neither a need nor a license for Win 10 Enterprise; Win 10 home was fine for my needs. I have 4 different devices and this is the first piece of unlicensed software to be on any of them. The unlicensed Windows version is making me uncomfortable

2) I am unsure how to get Win 10 Enterprise off there and get a home edition of Windows on there instead. I suspect from looking on the web that I will have to re-install Windows home edition. I'd even be Ok with Win 8 on there again. However I don't have the Windows install CD / license key which I suspect is back in the mother country in an attic somewhere (I relocated to a different part of the world a few years ago).

Can someone thus please tell me how I get Windows home edition on to the new SSD with the constraints I am facing? I believe the Windows installation on the original HDD is still there. I don't have a note of the license key in this part of the world.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

versiondisaster, Apr 2, 2019
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Apr 2, 2019
  3. SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, Apr 2, 2019
  4. How to get Windows Home edition on to the new SSD on my laptop?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

How to get Windows Home edition on to the new SSD on my laptop?

1. How to get Windows Home edition on to the new SSD on my laptop? - Similar Threads - Home edition SSD

2. How to get everything to my new Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get everything to my new Laptop: Hi, Normally when you buy a new phone. You can just use a tool and your new phone gets a 1:1 copy of your old phone. Now I bought a new laptop. I just want everything 1:1 from my old laptop to my new laptop. Everything all user files all settings everything. Is that already...
  3. Windows 10 Activation after new SSD installed - Home Edition / Pro Edition Conflict.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after new SSD installed - Home Edition / Pro Edition Conflict.: Hi,I have recently had to install a new copy of Windows onto a new SSD as the old one was failing. BSOD everytime windows update was attempted - which I tracked down the cause to be - SSD failure.I had recieved the old copy of Windows from my Work's IT department....
  4. Windows 10 Activation after new SSD installed - Home Edition / Pro Edition Conflict.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Activation after new SSD installed - Home Edition / Pro Edition Conflict.: Hi,I have recently had to install a new copy of Windows onto a new SSD as the old one was failing. BSOD everytime windows update was attempted - which I tracked down the cause to be - SSD failure.I had recieved the old copy of Windows from my Work's IT department....
  5. Windows 10 Activation after new SSD installed - Home Edition / Pro Edition Conflict.

6. Migrate Windows 10 Home Edition OEM to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate Windows 10 Home Edition OEM to SSD: Hi,Please advise and share the steps/tools to migrate Windows 10 home edition OEM to SSD.I recently purchased a 500gb SSD and installed them on my HP Pavilion 15 and my would like to move my OS to SSDAny precautionary steps to be taken before migrating?...
  7. Migrate Windows 10 Home Edition OEM to SSD

Migrate Windows 10 Home Edition OEM to SSD: Hi,Please advise and share the steps/tools to migrate Windows 10 home edition OEM to SSD.I recently purchased a 500gb SSD and installed them on my HP Pavilion 15 and my would like to move my OS to SSDAny precautionary steps to be taken before migrating?...
  8. Migrate Windows 10 Home Edition OEM to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. how to Get back to my original windows home edition..

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to Get back to my original windows home edition..: hello, I am very dissapointed and frustrated.. somebody gave me a set of activation key for upgrading my mwindows10 home edition to windows education edition. i used it but it shows an error like this.[ATTACH] now i am in huge trouble i cant personalise my windows...
  10. How to get windows 10 home on my laptop with 10pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to get windows 10 home on my laptop with 10pro: I have updated my laptop to Windows 10 pro, it's saying I can't activate windows on my desktop after it boots up! I need 10 home to go with pro and I have to download it to my android smartphone in order to put it on my laptop! How do I do this?...