Windows 10: How to give yourself back .url association control

Discus and support How to give yourself back .url association control in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A recent update took away .url association control. Now all .url files open into internet explorer or Edge, and there's currently no way to change it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NicholasLampert, Apr 18, 2021.

1. How to give yourself back .url association control

A recent update took away .url association control. Now all .url files open into internet explorer or Edge, and there's currently no way to change it back.

I had to talk to support. For 10 minutes he told me it couldn't be changed. I told him it used to be possible and eventually he came up with something.

He copy and pasted this page to me word for word until something worked:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/open-url-shortcuts-different-browsers-right-click-menu/

I didn't find it until after I wasted over an hour of my life waiting for him to read it and then copy it to me.

There, saved you an hour with support.

Caution: these files will change your registry, so make sure you have some idea what you're doing before you start. If you are uncomfortable doing this alone, contact support and link this page to them so they can start with an idea of what needs to be done.

:)

NicholasLampert, Apr 18, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Apr 18, 2021
  3. mandoist Win User
    File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CHow to give yourself back .url association control :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Apr 18, 2021
  4. Edwin Win User

How to give yourself back .url association control

Edwin, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

How to give yourself back .url association control

1. How to give yourself back .url association control - Similar Threads - yourself url association

2. Go **** yourself Microsoft!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Go **** yourself Microsoft!: Go **** yourself Microsoft! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/go-yourself-microsoft/b7b90804-8716-496b-a1f2-462b46d5586a
  3. Go **** yourself Microsoft!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Go **** yourself Microsoft!: Go **** yourself Microsoft! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/go-yourself-microsoft/b7b90804-8716-496b-a1f2-462b46d5586a
  4. Bitlocker url giving me a trace ID error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker url giving me a trace ID error.: Hello, I'm having a problem with accessing my bitlocker recovery keys. Every time I go to manage my recovery key I get an error. I've tried doing it on multiple devices and networks. I don't know why this is happening. This is the message I receive " TraceID:...
  5. Bitlocker url giving me a trace ID error.

Bitlocker url giving me a trace ID error.: Hello, I'm having a problem with accessing my bitlocker recovery keys. Every time I go to manage my recovery key I get an error. I've tried doing it on multiple devices and networks. I don't know why this is happening. This is the message I receive " TraceID:...
  6. User Account Control association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Account Control association: HiI run my W11Pro 22H2 with a Local Admin and Local Standard User account. So when I did a fresh installation I would start with a Local Admin, work though everything and then create a Local Standard User account too - using that for my day-to-day usage.However, now, when...
  7. User Account Control association

User Account Control association: HiI run my W11Pro 22H2 with a Local Admin and Local Standard User account. So when I did a fresh installation I would start with a Local Admin, work though everything and then create a Local Standard User account too - using that for my day-to-day usage.However, now, when...
  8. Pinging Yourself When On VPN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pinging Yourself When On VPN: If you ping your own machine name when on a VPN would you expect it to return the IP address of your NIC or the IP address from your VPN? I've run into an issue where this behaviour appears to have changed in Windows 10, I've not yet narrowed down which version. This is...
  9. Give me control of updates!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Give me control of updates!!: This morning (24th Aug) I set the latest updates, which downloaded without me asking and showed my system right down, to install on the 30th Aug. I put my laptop to sleep and go back to it an hours later. It says "installing updates" that I didn't ask it to download in the...
  10. .url file extension associated with "Internet Browser"

in Browsers and Email
    .url file extension associated with "Internet Browser": When I click on a file with a ".url" extension I get a box pop open that says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..." When I go into "Choose default apps by file extension" I find that files with a ".url" extension are...