Windows 10: How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown?

Discus and support How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I am looking for the solution to gracefully shutdown one of the existing service/process before the windows shutdown event being triggered. T he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Saravanan Ramaraj, Apr 24, 2019.

1. How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown?

Hi,

I am looking for the solution to gracefully shutdown one of the existing service/process before the windows shutdown event being triggered. T

he issue is whenever i call the batch file(which invokes the shutdown of the VirtualBoxManager.exe) during shutdown event, it kills the process and this results the state of the VM will become Abort.

However we would like to shutdown the running process (and it will take upto 10-30 seconds) before actually invoke the windows shutdown.

We are able to acheive the auto-startup using Startup event, however we cannot get this done gracefully through shutdown event.

is there way to execute the script (to perform graceful shutdown of VM) and delay the windows shutdown event for a while and invoke the window shutdown next.

Kindly advise.

Thanks

Saran

:)

Saravanan Ramaraj, Apr 24, 2019
  2. R-T-B Win User

PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, Apr 24, 2019
  3. PuB_Evo Win User
    Sun VirtualBox

Been there and done that. Followed through enabling the 3D acceleration and as told i hit the "Install Guest Addition" to install the drivers in the guest operating system, after that i was told to reboot the VirtualBox and came to the blue windows XP shutdown screen... It was on that screen for more then 30mins and so i force a shutdown on the original Win7 OS to et rid of the VirtualBox OS shutdown screen. Rebooted and tested VirtualBox with the game and got the same error message as shown in my first post.

EDIT: Gone through all the steps till i came to rebooting the VirtualBox OS. After the system coming up normally, i checked if the 3D acceleration is enabled by running dxdiag. Here is what i get...

How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown? DirectX.jpg

Need advise to fix 3D acceleration so i can go on. Thank you so much!

PuB_Evo, Apr 24, 2019
  4. Weer Win User

How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown?

Reminder: Microsoft Windows 7 Beta Automatic Two-Hour Shutdowns Begin Today

Does that work?

Thema:

How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown?

1. How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown? - Similar Threads - gracefully shutdown virtualbox

2. How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?: Basically what's on the title, if a regular shutdown leads to the system hanging for a long time during the process, is there any way I can automatically dispatch a `shutdown /p` command? I've tried it using a timer in a Powershell script, set as the shutdown script in...
  3. shutdowns

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    shutdowns: My system will shutdown randomly without warning two to four times a day, what can I do to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdowns/799df4e0-24a1-471e-ac10-11f3fb25571c
  4. How to shutdown WITHOUT updating?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to shutdown WITHOUT updating?: I don't understand why I can't shutdown my laptop. I need to shut my computer down and the only options want me to update first. I don't have time to wait for an update. Were is the shutdown option? Does anybody at Microsoft actually use a computer? This is...
  5. Windows 10 Shutdowns Before Reaching its Maximum Temperature

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutdowns Before Reaching its Maximum Temperature: Hi, I've an eight years old Thinkpad T410 which is totally healthy and runs well and handles my jobs. But it has a serious problem. Its maximum tolerable temp is 105. But it force shutdowns 4 or 5 degree before reaching its maximum. It runs well under windows 7 but just...
  6. Windows 10 Shutdowns Before Reaching its Maxium Temperature

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutdowns Before Reaching its Maxium Temperature: Hi, I've an eight years old Thinkpad T410 which is totally healthy and runs well and handles my jobs. But it has a serious problem. Its maximum tolerable temp is 105. But it force shutdowns 4 or 5 degree before reaching its maximum. It runs well under windows 7 but just...
  7. BSOD on Windows shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on Windows shutdown: Hey there, Recently, I've started to notice BSOD appearing, when I try to turn off the system. After I press shutdown, the log-off screen appears and freezes after a few seconds, followed by BSOD with error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Attached please find log-files...
  8. Inadvertent Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Inadvertent Shutdown: Sometimes when I'm moving my laptop from one place to another, I inadvertently hit a key that shuts it down. I only know the correct way to shut down...go to start button then to power then to shutdown. Or force quit by holding physical power button down. What on the keyboard...
  9. Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns: Hello, I've been researching this issue I'm experiencing but I haven't come across anything that has helped. Issue: Click on the start menu > Power > Shutdown. Computer does not immediately shut down. I can continue to do tasks for about 30seconds. The computer...
  10. Windows shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows shutdown: Hello guys , since Fall creators update the shutdown is very strange. The thing im tryn to look on now , its that it restores whatever it was opened . Let's say we'll shutdown with 2 opened tabs in chrome, it will restore them on boot . I did unchecked hybrid sleep and i did...