Windows 10: How to have backup WiFi kick in automatically with a shaky Ethernet connection?

Discus and support How to have backup WiFi kick in automatically with a shaky Ethernet connection? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My normal internet connection has been dropping often before coming back - likely due to the increased bandwidth usage in the area. I play online poker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kovalgenius, Mar 27, 2020.

1. How to have backup WiFi kick in automatically with a shaky Ethernet connection?

My normal internet connection has been dropping often before coming back - likely due to the increased bandwidth usage in the area. I play online poker and this can happen in the middle of pots, where I will end up timing out and losing real money. I can set up a mobile hotspot from my phone and connect to it via my PC's wifi as a backup - but I have to switch manually only when I notice my ethernet doesn't seem to be working and I can't do that switch fast enough. Is there anything I can do on Windows 10 or with a different program to make that switch automatic and more seamless?

submitted by /u/kovalgenius
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kovalgenius, Mar 27, 2020

2. Windows 10 No Longer Connects to Ethernet and WiFi

This week brought Win10 ver 1903 and I can no longer get WiFi to connect if the ethernet cable is plugged in. If I boot with ethernet, manually trying to connect WiFi silently fails. If I boot without ethernet, WiFi is automatically connected yet drops
    if I plug in the ethernet cable. Both the WiFi and the ethernet work fine by themselves, just not at the same time so I don't think it is a driver problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

PrestonClark4, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Kick or Ban who is connected with my internet ?

You should still be able to use NavyLCDR's second step without changing the WiFi password.

4. NavyLCDR Win User

How to have backup WiFi kick in automatically with a shaky Ethernet connection?

Kick or Ban who is connected with my internet ?

You would have to do that on your Router's setup webpage. 1st step is to turn on WiFi encryption and password. 2nd step, if you feel you need to, is set up an access list of the physical MAC addresses for the network adapters of the computers you want to allow to connect. Any other network adapter not on that MAC filter list won't be able to connect. (but MAC addresses can be easily spoofed, if the third person knows which MAC addresses are allowed).

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

How to have backup WiFi kick in automatically with a shaky Ethernet connection?

1. How to have backup WiFi kick in automatically with a shaky Ethernet connection? - Similar Threads - backup WiFi kick

2. How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?: My work computer PC does not allow for wifi connection and only allows ethernet connection. This is fine when I'm at home. While traveling, what device can I use to connect to a hotel's wifi, while using my ethernet cable, but without being able to download drivers into my...
  3. How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?: My work computer PC does not allow for wifi connection and only allows ethernet connection. This is fine when I'm at home. While traveling, what device can I use to connect to a hotel's wifi, while using my ethernet cable, but without being able to download drivers into my...
  4. Ethernet not connecting to WIFI

Ethernet not connecting to WIFI: Does anyone know why my ethernet is not connecting to my WIFI. I have disabled the drivers and restarted my router and modem. It no longer shows the same SSID....
  5. ethernet & WIFI connections

ethernet & WIFI connections: Results for "Results for "While using my Surface laptop for setting up AB Stratix switches. I'm using a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and the Chrome browser I get a privacy error which reads "your connection is not private.". SURFACE-LAPTOP" I get the same message trying to connect...
  6. ethernet & WIFI connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ethernet & WIFI connections: Results for "Results for "While using my Surface laptop for setting up AB Stratix switches. I'm using a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and the Chrome browser I get a privacy error which reads "your connection is not private.". SURFACE-LAPTOP" I get the same message trying to connect...
  7. Ethernet or Wifi connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet or Wifi connection: If I am connected to the internet with both the ethernet and WIFI connections, how can I tell which one is in use?Is it possible that they are both being used?Will my PC automatically choose the better one?...
  8. No WIFI or Ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No WIFI or Ethernet connection: I have just built a new computer and downloaded an older version of Windows 10 from a USB I had laying around with the intention of updating the system to the newest version of Windows 10, however, I cannot connect to either WIFI or Ethernet meaning that I cannot just update...
  9. Having trouble automatically connecting to wifi

Having trouble automatically connecting to wifi: Lately, I have been having some major issues with connecting to my home wifi. Within the last week I have updated my PC to the latest build (version: 1709, build: 16299.125). Whenever I boot my computer, its like a roll of the dice if it ends up connecting to the wifi...
  10. Connected by Ethernet and WiFi

Connected by Ethernet and WiFi: Right now my computer is connected by 1.0 Gbps Ethernet and 1.3 Gbps WiFi. Can Windows 10 take advantage of this or should I disable one these connections? 83525