Windows 10: How to have different icons for .mp3 and .wav

Discus and support How to have different icons for .mp3 and .wav in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Even when I use FileTypesMan(ager), when I try to have different icons for .mp3 files and .wav files, starting last week they're the same for both,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by OvenMaster, Feb 18, 2021.

1. How to have different icons for .mp3 and .wav

Even when I use FileTypesMan(ager), when I try to have different icons for .mp3 files and .wav files, starting last week they're the same for both, whether I want it or not.

For years I was able to use an icon from quartz.dll for .mp3 (the blue speaker from Win95) and the round four-color circle from WinXP's Media Player .exe (yes, I saved the .exe just for that icon).

Now I get a notice in FileTypesMan that the icon for .mp3 will be the same as .wav and this is a royal PITA when I'm trying to convert files!

Is there any other way to change icons and have them be different?

:)

OvenMaster, Feb 18, 2021
  2. MNMary Win User

Free MP3 to WAV converter

I'm looking for a Free program to convert MP3's to WAV that will work on Windows 10.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mary

MNMary, Feb 18, 2021
  3. PJLLB Win User

I use Free Studio fro DVDSoft.

PJLLB, Feb 18, 2021
  4. rez001 Win User

How to have different icons for .mp3 and .wav

Audacity Portable can open AU, AIFF, MP3, OGG and WAV files and can save to WAV, OGG or MP3 (with the free lame plugin).
    it's a full blown audio editor as well, but you can easily use it just for converting stuff. The interface is easy to use. And having all the extra stuff like noise filtering and effects is handy. Plus, it's only 5MB.
    Download Adio city protable from here
    Download lame plugin from here

Adding LAME MP3 and FFMPEG Support

To add LAME MP3 support to Audacity, download Lame and unzip the download (get the ZIP download, the second link in the center). Place lame_enc.dll in your AudacityPortable\App\LAME directory. Audacity Portable will automatically detect it and set Audacity to use it on launch.
    To add FFMPEG support to Audacity, download the alternate zip for Windows package from the Audacity website and unzip it. Extract all files to AudacityPortable\App\FFMPEG. After starting Audacity Portable, go to Edit - Preferences. Select Libraries. Click Locate under FFmpeg Import/Export Library. A box will appear saying that the library has been automatically located and asking if you still want to locate it manually. Select No. Click OK in Audacity preferences.

Enjoy!!!

rez001, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

How to have different icons for .mp3 and .wav

1. How to have different icons for .mp3 and .wav - Similar Threads - different icons mp3

2. Convert a wav file to an mp3 in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a wav file to an mp3 in windows 11: Trying to convert a simple wav file - audio to an audio mp3 file. Without downloading some software. Is that possible or do I have to use a converter software...
  3. Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files: Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files consistently. Sometimes it will and sometimes mostly it won't. Occasionally it will work if I reboot. Windows 11 is updated. The error code I'm getting for both of these files is: We can't open x file. It uses unsupported encoding...
  4. Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files: Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files consistently. Sometimes it will and sometimes mostly it won't. Occasionally it will work if I reboot. Windows 11 is updated. The error code I'm getting for both of these files is: We can't open x file. It uses unsupported encoding...
  5. Cannot Download MP3 or WAV

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Download MP3 or WAV: I am trying to download some songs, but it does not allow me to download them as either MP3 or WAV; only MPEG Video, MPEG Audio, and All Files show when clicking the drop-down menu. I have looked everywhere but have not found a solution to this issue. How can I fix this?...
  6. Cannot Download MP3 or WAV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Download MP3 or WAV: I am trying to download some songs, but it does not allow me to download them as either MP3 or WAV; only MPEG Video, MPEG Audio, and All Files show when clicking the drop-down menu. I have looked everywhere but have not found a solution to this issue. How can I fix this?...
  7. Cannot Download MP3 or WAV

8. Mp3 and wav files won't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mp3 and wav files won't open: I go on the Libraries app on my taskbar, and try playing mp3 and wav files. When I click on them, nothing pops up, and the app says it's not responding at the top, then exists out. Help? [ATTACH]...
  9. COPY Music Folder from WAV to MP3 - HOW?

COPY Music Folder from WAV to MP3 - HOW?: I ripped all of my CDs to WAV format. I then basically installed Google Play Music Manager onto my PC, which previously I'd used to upload my songs into the cloud, since I can have 50,000. I hadn't started ripping my CDs to WAV until recently, but decided to because MP3 sound...
  10. Free MP3 to WAV converter

Free MP3 to WAV converter: I'm looking for a Free program to convert MP3's to WAV that will work on Windows 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mary 21885

Users found this page by searching for:

1. When I change MP3 extension icon all audio extensions change to the same icon