Windows 10: how to have internet connection without wifi?

Discus and support how to have internet connection without wifi? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just built a new PC and had it running and connecting to the internet without wifi. However, I had problems with my Windows 10 activation and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ted_Shred, Sep 30, 2020.

1. how to have internet connection without wifi?

Just built a new PC and had it running and connecting to the internet without wifi. However, I had problems with my Windows 10 activation and a microsoft rep had to re-install the O/S for me. The rep actually had access to my computer remotely so I know my internet was working. Once that was done, although my PC remained physically connected to the internet in the exact same way (internet cable to modem, ethernet cable from modem to PC) I had to activate wifi to get on to the internet. And my current access is a wifi network.

I'd rather not be using wifi but I can't figure out how to de-activate it without losing internet access. I've tried my ISP (Shaw Cable) support department and they've said (1) you need wifi, which I know isn't true or (2) it's a Windows 10 setting they can't help me with, which I suspect is the case.

P.S. During my initial O/S install, I had my modem unplugged when I chose "I don't have internet" in order to avoid setting up a microsoft account. (Which was a waste of time b/c I had to set one up to get to their support team.) I was on the phone with the microsoft rep when he reinstalled the O/S and, at that step, we also chose "I don't have internet" but I'd forgotten to unplug my modem - my suspicion is that has something to do with it, only because that's the only difference between when I had a direct connection to the internet and my current "wifi only" connection.

submitted by /u/Ted_Shred
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ted_Shred, Sep 30, 2020
  2. wabbles Win User

When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Sep 30, 2020
  3. Internet Connection

• Community

I was not able to work on this issue yesterday ( busy for a 90 year old). This evening I was able to take the steps that were suggested in your email.

When I use “Device Manager” I click “ Network Adapters” I see “ Wifi” but not Eternet in this list. On the “Settings” I click “Wifi” which shows the “On' button.
    I click” Show available networks”. I wanted to capture the page that is shown, but it will not show. The top line is Network ( connected) but course I have the Ethernet cable connected. Also showing Is Five “ Broadband connections” At the bottom is
    “ Network and Internet settings” I hope for your continued help.

georgefrtsch, Sep 30, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

how to have internet connection without wifi?

Internet through wifi connection

Hi Sammy,

A few possible reasons can cause WiFi connection issues. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• Can you connect to the WiFi hotspot of your router? If yes, what is the status of the connection?
    • Does your laptop automatically connect to the WiFi? Do you need to type a password when connecting?
    • Can your laptop detect other WiFi hotspots around your location?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter while connected using WiFi. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems. To run it, follow the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • In the search bar, type Network problems, and then select Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

how to have internet connection without wifi?

1. how to have internet connection without wifi? - Similar Threads - internet connection without

2. Connected to WiFi but not Connected to the Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected to WiFi but not Connected to the Internet: I'm having a strange problem on my ASUS Vivobook. I'm connected to my home wifi but the toolbar is still showing the "No Connection" icon.Edge works fine and I can enter any website without issue. When I try to log into Microsoft Office, it tells me it's not connected to the...
  3. My WiFi is connected but I have no internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My WiFi is connected but I have no internet: My TVs have a WiFi connection and they work normally, however my phone and computer also have a WiFi connection but they don’t work. Anyone know why my TVs work however my phone and computer don’t?...
  4. My WiFi is connected but I have no internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My WiFi is connected but I have no internet: My TVs have a WiFi connection and they work normally, however my phone and computer also have a WiFi connection but they don’t work. Anyone know why my TVs work however my phone and computer don’t?...
  5. My WiFi is connected but I have no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Pc not connecting to my wifi/internet without hotspot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc not connecting to my wifi/internet without hotspot: I'll give the basic problem up top and any info I think might possibly be useful later. Also, sorry for not knowing the proper terms etc. I'll try to explain as best I can.The wifi connection for my pc continuously drops, to the point that no web pages load. However, when I...
  7. Pc not connecting to my wifi/internet without hotspot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc not connecting to my wifi/internet without hotspot: I'll give the basic problem up top and any info I think might possibly be useful later. Also, sorry for not knowing the proper terms etc. I'll try to explain as best I can.The wifi connection for my pc continuously drops, to the point that no web pages load. However, when I...
  8. Pc not connecting to my wifi/internet without hotspot

9. WiFi sharing without internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi sharing without internet: Ok, so I'm having some weird issues that I believe I posted about in the past. Currently, my desktop will routinely connect to the internet while reporting "no internet" in the settings. This would not be an issue, however my phone, for whatever reason, gets an extremely weak...
  10. Wifi will not stay connected to the internet without the ethernemy

Wifi will not stay connected to the internet without the ethernemy: My wifi wont stay connected to the internet without the ethernet. I have updated the wifi card online and it did need it. I have an Acer its about 3 or 4 yrs old. I thought maybe it might be the f3 key which turns the wifi on and off but that didnt help either. Any help...