Windows 10: How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter.

Discus and support How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I just installed a small ssd drive to be used by a program as a temp drive. Now that i've set the app to use G: as temp drive, i do not need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fusk, Aug 10, 2015.

1. fusk Win User

How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter.

Hi. I just installed a small ssd drive to be used by a program as a temp drive. Now that i've set the app to use G: as temp drive, i do not need to interact with the drive again. Set it and forget it.
    So how do i hide the drive from explorer without breaking everything ?

In my search i found removing the drive letter which would not work in this case. Also found different apps. But not sure how these work with win10.

:)

2. My Passport is not being detected on my new laptop with Windows 10?

But does it have a Drive letter in Disk management? It must be assigned a drive letter before it will show up and open in Explorer.

Scroll down the drive list in Disk mgmt to look for a drive without drive letter, if that's it then right click to choose a letter, same as shown here for

Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 10, 2015
  3. How to Remove Unpopulated Drive Letters

Hello:

Over time I have inserted various USB flash drives and when doing so a new drive letter associated with the thumb drive appears when opening File Explorer. However, long after the flash drives or other devices that create a drive letter are no longer plugged
    into the computer, the drive letters remain. For example, when I spawn File Explorer I do see the local drive C: and CD-Rom Drives, but also appearing are the following (these could vary):

(GHow to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter. :)

(HHow to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter. :)

(IHow to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter. :)

(JHow to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter. :)

And there are others. If I were to now insert a thumb drive a new drive letter is assigned adding more to the list. How do I remove these non-existent drive letter? I did try searching Regedit, but without success.

I appreciate any help and thank you,

EB

Eric_Bernstein, Aug 10, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

This registry value will hide the G: drive in Explorer.

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoDrives"=dword:00000040[/quote] You'll need to restart for it to take effect. The drive will still be fully functional and accessible, just hidden in Explorer.

Typing G: in the Explorer address bar will show the drive.

Hide G Drive.reg

5. Right click Start, select "Disk Management", right click the drive you want, select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and click "Remove".

fracking4oil, Aug 10, 2015
  6. fusk Win User
    You'll need to restart for it to take effect. The drive will still be fully functional and accessible, just hidden in Explorer.

Typing G: in the Explorer address bar will show the drive.

Hide G Drive.reg[/quote] Thanks, i'll give that a try.

That would not work, as mentioned in the post. Most programs where you can assign a temp drive would not be able to access a drive with no drive letter as you wouldn't be able to select the drive in that programs settings.

7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    That will render his drive inaccessible and uable.

8. How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter.

You mean after you just edited your post? "Would work" and "would not work" are two very different things. *Tongue

fracking4oil, Aug 10, 2015
  9. fusk Win User
    I know, i didn't notice it myself before after i had posted. But i think it was pretty clear even with the typo. If i had already found the solution i would've used that instead of asking for a different one. But you're right nonetheless.

fusk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter. - Similar Threads - hide drive explorer

2. Remove network location mapped to drive letter from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove network location mapped to drive letter from File Explorer: Unable to remove a network location, mapped to a drive letter, from File Explorer. Right click Disconnect gives Error "This network connection does not exist". Right click Properties shows "Disconnected Network Drive"....
  3. Remove network location mapped to drive letter from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove network location mapped to drive letter from File Explorer: Unable to remove a network location, mapped to a drive letter, from File Explorer. Right click Disconnect gives Error "This network connection does not exist". Right click Properties shows "Disconnected Network Drive"....
  4. Remove network location mapped to drive letter from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I remove the letter from this drive?: A new drive appeared in my file explorer, and it's just sitting there annoying me.The problem is that it belongs to my boot drive. My OS is installed on C: and I assume that G: and the 17MB + 101MB ones are system files. I wanna remove the letter G so It doesn't show up on my...
  6. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I remove the letter from this drive?: A new drive appeared in my file explorer, and it's just sitting there annoying me.The problem is that it belongs to my boot drive. My OS is installed on C: and I assume that G: and the 17MB + 101MB ones are system files. I wanna remove the letter G so It doesn't show up on my...
  7. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  9. hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter: is it possible to hide a partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter ? thanks 149180
  10. Keep File History Working But Remove Drive Letter (Hide in Explorer)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Keep File History Working But Remove Drive Letter (Hide in Explorer): Win10 V1909. Title says it all. I plug hot swap and image many drives in a day and I am stick of looking at my file history drive in Windows Explorer. Is it possible to remove the drive letter and still keep file history working? OR Can I hide it from explorer without...