Windows 10: How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu

Discus and support How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's upcoming Windows 11 operating system changes the Start menu drastically in some areas, but keeps other features as they have been in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 16, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu

Microsoft's upcoming Windows 11 operating system changes the Start menu drastically in some areas, but keeps other features as they have been in previous versions of Windows.

If you take a look at the Windows 11 Start Menu, you see a list of apps and links displayed at the top. Some of these are pinned, others are added automatically by Windows 11.

Below that is the Recommended section. It displays recently added apps and recently opened files, but may also be used by Microsoft to display recommendations to the user.

In fact, on a brand new Windows 11 system, you may see the "Get Started" recommendation in the section.

How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu We-take-a-tour-of-whats-new-in-Windows-11.jpg

Some Windows users may find these recommendations useful, others don't. Just like on Windows 10, it is possible to disable the Recommended section on Windows 11 to hide the section in the Start Menu.

How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu Windows-11-Insider-Preview-Build-22000.100-Search-interface-position-left-aligned.jpg

Microsoft kept the options in the Settings application under Personalization. On Windows 10, you find the options under Settings > Personalization > Start.

There you may disable the following content:

• Show recently added apps.
    • Show the most used apps.
    • Show suggestions occasionally in Start.
    • Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar and in the File Explorer Quick Access.
    Disable Recommended items in the Start Menu

1. Select Start > Settings > Personalization.
    2. Look for Show recently added apps and turn it off.
    3. Look for Show most used apps and set it to off.
    4. Look for Show recently opened items in Start Jump List and File Explorer and turn it off.

Changes take effect immediately. Just open Start, while Settings remains open, to test the change. Note that Recommended is still displayed, but you should not see any content anymore under the section once you have made the change. Unfortunately, there is no option to hide the section entirely to use it for something else.

You may disable some of the options only, e.g. if you are interested in getting a list of recently installed applications, then you may keep that option enabled while disabling the other options.

Just toggle the preferences again if you want to restore one or all of the listings in the Start Menu.

Closing Words

The Windows 11 start menu lacks customization options, even more so than the Windows 10 Start Menu. Some users may use the recommended section actively, others, who may not use it at all, are stuck with it nevertheless. While it is possible to hide the items of the section, it is not possible to hide it entirely to make room for more apps or links in the Start Menu.

Now You: do you use the recent files / apps section of the Start Menu?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 16, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Aug 16, 2021
  3. fancymans Win User
    Show or hide Recent Items on the Start Menu/Task Bar

Hi,

On previous versions of Windows, we would be able to hide recent items from the start menu and the task bar. I am trying to hide recent items on the task bar, but the option is no longer there. Can anyone help?

To clarify, what I mean by recent items are the list of files recently opened using a specific program. For example, if I right click on Visual Studio on my task bar, I get a list of all the apps I've been working on. I don't want these to display.

fancymans, Aug 16, 2021
  4. How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Aug 16, 2021
Thema:

How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu

1. How to hide Recommended items in Windows 11's Start Menu - Similar Threads - hide Recommended items

2. Windows 11 Start menu recommended section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start menu recommended section: I have recently upgraded to windows 11, one issues is there isn't enough space for all the apps I want pinned without scrolling.Half of the space is taken up by the "Recommend" section, I managed to turn all the things off that were showing there, but cannot find how to hide...
  3. Windows 11 Start menu recommended section

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Start menu recommended section: I have recently upgraded to windows 11, one issues is there isn't enough space for all the apps I want pinned without scrolling.Half of the space is taken up by the "Recommend" section, I managed to turn all the things off that were showing there, but cannot find how to hide...
  4. Deleting the file from the list in the recommended items in the start menu will cause the...

Deleting the file from the list in the recommended items in the start menu will cause the...: Win11 22000.613 21H2 Deleting the file from the list in the recommended items in the start menu will cause the file to not be displayed again in the recommended items in the start menu after opening the file again...
  5. Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly: The recommended item icons in the start menu are showing errors as shown in the image. Some image files are displayed correctly, some are displayed incorrectly; document images are displayed incorrectly; some compressed files will be displayed as folder icons. But in...
  6. Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly

Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly: The recommended item icons in the start menu are showing errors as shown in the image. Some image files are displayed correctly, some are displayed incorrectly; document images are displayed incorrectly; some compressed files will be displayed as folder icons. But in...
  7. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...
  8. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...
  9. How to show or hide Recommended list in Start Menu on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to show or hide Recommended list in Start Menu on Windows 11: [ATTACH]If you do not want to show recently opened files and apps, you can hide the Recommended list or section in Start Menu on Windows 11. You can disable the Recommended section in Start Menu using Windows Settings. The Start Menu of Windows 11 has a Recommended section,...
  10. Start menu items...

Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222