Windows 10: How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

Discus and support How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents") in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have my "Documents" folder set to sync with my cloud storage folder. I have recently found that some games automatically create a "My Games" folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Francis-B, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Francis-B Win User

How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

I have my "Documents" folder set to sync with my cloud storage folder.

I have recently found that some games automatically create a "My Games" folder in my "Documents" folder. This then gets synced to the cloud, taking up storage space and bandwidth.

How do I tell Windows to make the "My Games" folder appear in some other location, other than my "Documents" folder. Note that I've moved my "Documents" folder from the default C drive location.

:)

Francis-B, Nov 15, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Nov 15, 2019
  4. How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

1. How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents") - Similar Threads - change location Games

2. Windows 7 I accidently clicked on "remove location from file" in my documents folder. How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 I accidently clicked on "remove location from file" in my documents folder. How...: Windows 7 I accidently clicked on "remove location from file" in my documents folder. How to get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-i-accidently-clicked-on-remove-location/abd38e79-8da6-4304-bcbc-e007ce28a1c3
  3. Windows 7 I accidently clicked on "remove location from file" in my documents folder. How...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 I accidently clicked on "remove location from file" in my documents folder. How...: Windows 7 I accidently clicked on "remove location from file" in my documents folder. How to get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-i-accidently-clicked-on-remove-location/abd38e79-8da6-4304-bcbc-e007ce28a1c3
  4. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?: I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my C hard drive. I did desync/stop backup. I'd add a photo but there's an error occuring, sorry....
  5. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?: I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my C hard drive. I did desync/stop backup. I'd add a photo but there's an error occuring, sorry....
  6. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

7. Can't change documents folder location

Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  8. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  9. Can't change documents folder location

10. My games in documents folder

My games in documents folder: Hi can somebody help me please. I've just recently purchased a new games computer, but I have one small problem, the main C drive is a 128 GB ssd card. I need to somehow redirect my games in documents folder to the larger hard drive. I have loaded farming simulation 19 and...