Windows 10: How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

Discus and support How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents") in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have my "Documents" folder set to sync with my cloud storage folder. I have recently found that some games automatically create a "My Games" folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Francis-B, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Francis-B Win User

How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

I have my "Documents" folder set to sync with my cloud storage folder.

I have recently found that some games automatically create a "My Games" folder in my "Documents" folder. This then gets synced to the cloud, taking up storage space and bandwidth.

How do I tell Windows to make the "My Games" folder appear in some other location, other than my "Documents" folder. Note that I've moved my "Documents" folder from the default C drive location.

:)

Francis-B, Nov 15, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Nov 15, 2019
  4. How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents")

1. How to I change the location of the "My Games" folder (remove it from "My Documents") - Similar Threads - change location Games

2. Files from my documents folder disapeared.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files from my documents folder disapeared.: After uninstalling several programs, I started up my computer to find all of my files only in the my documents folder to be gone. I did not back up these files; they are not files I need but would like to have. I ran a system restore but it only brought the few files...
  3. Changing Documents location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Documents location: Following Microsoft instructions, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310746/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder, last updated in April of 2017 and then looking at their instructions on how you can actually still do this in a new 2019 instruction piece,...
  4. my documents folder

my documents folder: I am unable to access the my documents folder any information on how to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-documents-folder/371f1ccf-10b6-4320-9926-c5546cf1950e
  5. How to liberate my Documents folder from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to liberate my Documents folder from OneDrive?: When I installed Windows 10, OneDrive was installed by default. I have a SSD and larger disk storage, so I changed the location of my Documents folder to the disk, which put it into OneDrive's control. I'm now trying to go back to having user folders such as Desktop and...
  6. How to change location of a folder?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change location of a folder?: During the first Windows 10 installation, I indicated location of documents folder to D: drive by mistake. All my documents, apps get there. I want to change a place where my documents are saved. How can I change it?...
  7. How to copy and sync my documents to a different location

How to copy and sync my documents to a different location: I understand there are lots of articles on how to move my documents (or other personal folders) to another location - what I'm interested in is creating another folder in a different partition and have my documents folder files copied (not moved) to the other...
  8. Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders: When I try to change the location of the documents folder and the pictures folder, I get a message, "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied." I get this message whether or not I choose to move the files...
  9. how do i change the location of 'documents'?

in Windows 10 Support
    how do i change the location of 'documents'?: Recently I've reset my laptop so i could use it for my education. However, since the reset the 'my documents' (and Pictures) user-folder at 'my PC' has been changed to the onedrive equivalent. I've tried turning off onedrive by changing my group policy, but it turned out...
  10. Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders: So currently when I go into "This PC" I have 6 icons at the top : Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Videos. As I'm running my OS off a 120gb SSD I typically store my documents/photos/videos etc on another drive, in this case my D drive. If I right click >...