Windows 10: How to identify contents of partitions

Discus and support How to identify contents of partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My single ssd has the partitions shown in the attached file. This notebook was converted to win 10 from 8.1. I want to merge C: and D: into one volume.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by merkelck, Dec 20, 2015.

1. merkelck Win User

How to identify contents of partitions

My single ssd has the partitions shown in the attached file. This notebook was converted to win 10 from 8.1. I want to merge C: and D: into one volume. However to do that it appears that I need to have them adjacent. I tried to move the two offending small partitions but can't. Better yet I would feel better about just deleting them . Is there a way to tell what is in them? I don't care about recovering to win 8.1. Any suggestions??

Kentm

:)

merkelck, Dec 20, 2015

2. How to identify and delete superfluous recovery partitions?

Thank you for completely missing the point of my question;

"The issue is to dual boot Windows 10 with Linux"

No it isn't the issue, the issue is how to identify the contents of the four recovery partitions so I can delete those which are not needed.

I have edited my original post to remove any reference to anything else, just leaving the question "How do I inspect the contents of recovery partitions?" remaining for the bots to find.

DamianDavis, Dec 20, 2015
  3. returning a HDD partition to the main (C) partition

I created a HDD partition and installed W10 Preview as part of the insider program. I upgraded to W10 and everything is working fine, so I now want to remove this partition and return the capacity to my main (CHow to identify contents of partitions :) partition. I have deleted the contents
    of the partition and it is now identified as "free space", but there doesn't appear to be a option to return the space to the main partition. Can someone explain how to accomplish?

michaelweber165, Dec 20, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Instead of using AOMEI Partition Assistance. Use: Magic Partition Manager , Right click on the partition and select explore or Assign a letter for the partition then you can explore it with File Explorer.

The 2 partitions are Recovery partitions, they might have Windows Recovery & factory diagnostic tools, they are small so I don't think they contain factory recovery image.

In order to move these 2 partitions, you must have some unallocated space next to them to move to. If your D: Drive contains data, temporary move the data to C: drive or to an external drive then delete D: drive to make it unallocated, You can use either Windows Disk Management or Partition Manager to do this task.

IMO, Your Windows OS partition scheme is a mess. If you want to clean and re-align all partitions. Use this:
    Solved Help With Partition Management - Windows 10 Forums

topgundcp, Dec 20, 2015
  5. merkelck Win User
    Thanks for the reply and the information. I definitely agree with your opinion. I do not have it fixed yet due to other issues that have cropped up. But I wanted to thank you for the help and I will definitely reply back here when I get it working.

merkelck, Dec 21, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    One useful bit of information may be gotten by executing "reagentc /info" from an elevated command prompt. The output will show if you have an enabled WinRE partition and which one it is.

If the 4th and 5th are not your active WinRE partitions, they may be candidates to just delete and get out of the way.

Word Man, Dec 21, 2015
  7. merkelck Win User
    I managed to get back to it quicker than I expected and I think I have it where I want it. The minitool did the job as did some tips from the other thread you pointed out. Here is a shot of the drive now.

How to identify contents of partitions [​IMG]

How to identify contents of partitions [​IMG]

Thanks to you and others, I may still have some hair left after all

Kentm

merkelck, Dec 21, 2015
  8. merkelck Win User

I had seen your idea in another thread and learned something new there. It did identify the right partition.
    Thanks for your time.
    KentM

merkelck, Dec 21, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    Glad you got it all sorted, mostly with topgun's help, Kent! Looks good.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to identify contents of partitions - Similar Threads - identify contents partitions

2. How Can I Modify / Replace the Contents of the Recovery Partition

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How Can I Modify / Replace the Contents of the Recovery Partition: I suspect that my Recovery Partition, has in some way become corrupted. Repair Upgrade should probably re-install Recovery, but I am experiencing problems in that regard.I discovered that Defender Offline would not function on one of my Laptops. During "Configuration", the PC...
  3. What Is EFI? How to identify EFI System Partitions on Windows 11/10?

in Windows 10 News
    What Is EFI? How to identify EFI System Partitions on Windows 11/10?: [ATTACH]If you have ever heard about EFI or seen an EFI System Partition (ESP) in Windows and wonder what it is, then this post will help you understand. We will talk about EFI, how you can identify the EFI partitions, what it contains, and if you can delete it. What is EFI...
  4. identify folders with no contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    identify folders with no contents: Hi,I am wondering if there is a way to hide folders or have some notification that there is no contents within them in windows explorer.We have a default structure of folders that we copy and rename for new projects and within, there are multiple folders below folders.Once...
  5. How to access content from a hard disk with only a recovery partition ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to access content from a hard disk with only a recovery partition ?: [ATTACH] Hi, I had to reinstall windows because my computer kept perma-freezing after booting. I have 3 different hard disks: SSD 250 GB (Disque 0) HDD 1 TB (Disque 1) SSD NVMe 1 TB (Disque 2) I installed windows on the fresh emptied ssd nvme, and I also deleted...
  6. Identifying Dualboot Partitions in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Identifying Dualboot Partitions in Disk Management: [ATTACH] Hi everyone! I used to have a Dualboot PC, with two similar copies of Windows 10. Image #1 became unstable, so I resorted to Image #2 and formatted the partition containing #1. The EFI & Recovery partitions for Image #1 still remain in my HD & I'd like to format...
  7. Trying to identify which disk partitions I want to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to identify which disk partitions I want to delete: I assembled a PC a while ago, installed windows 10, and then duel booted with linux. I've decided I don't want my linux partition anymore and would rather dedicate 100% of my hard drive to windows. While booted into windows, I've gone to computer management, selected disk...
  8. Help identifying the contents of a large possible video file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help identifying the contents of a large possible video file.: After looking thru the forum sections it seems this may be the best place to post this. I am wondering if anyone is aware of a program that can scan any type of file and report back as to what kind of content, if any, is actually in it, or if it's perhaps one of those fake...
  9. Let's Play Identify the Boot Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Let's Play Identify the Boot Partition: For anyone who's read this thread this far, you should know that I was finally able to determine the boot partition that I was confused about. Looking at the Drive Management report display I recognized that two of the drives were labelled with EFI Partition and Recovery...
  10. Command line to remove contents from an EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Command line to remove contents from an EFI partition: This computer has a working windows 10 professional version 1703 build 15063.296 now. Last month I had had a problem where I was unable to upgrade from windows 10 version 1607 to version 1703 with error code 0xc1900200. To learn from this problem any information on how to...