Windows 10: How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

Discus and support How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I get frequent popup update requests at lower right of screen. Only one of these is identifiable: Macrium I assumed all the others were M$. But... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OldGrantonian, May 16, 2019 at 3:47 AM.

1. How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

I get frequent popup update requests at lower right of screen.

Only one of these is identifiable: Macrium

I assumed all the others were M$.

But yesterday, I clicked on an unknown popup, using a long stick and wearing a gas mask, in case I was infected. The popup was from "Intel Driver and Support Assistant", so that was OK. (On reflection, I suppose it could just as easily have been Huawei masquerading as Intel.)

But, as a general question, how safe is it to automatically click on anonymous popups?

BTW1: I have Win Defender and "always on" MBAM.

BTW2: I'm posting this in this forum, because IMO it's a security issue (rather than an update issue).

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, May 16, 2019 at 3:47 AM
  2. Smeed Win User
  3. EdTittel Win User

How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

Thema:

How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

1. How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests? - Similar Threads - identify manufacturer popup

2. Win10 updates request

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 updates request: I am very happy with the way my laptop is working right now. I DON'T WANT any more updates. I know some people will be tempted to warn me that this is dangerous but I already know this. Can anyone please tell me how to stop my laptop downloading and installing windows updates...
  3. How to identify Com Ports in Windows10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to identify Com Ports in Windows10: The new device manager in windows 10 is not showing the "com port" numbers. Such as COM1 COM2 and so on. If I open the serial bus controller line in device manager it does not provide the port information. What I am trying do is connect to my network switch with a...
  4. endless requests for update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    endless requests for update: Why am I always being advised my account needs to be updated. I have two computers, one desk and one laptop. Everytime I change a password successfully, next log on, same thing happens again. I turned off two step verification; will this help. thanks...
  5. how to identify and uninstall duplicate drivers...?

how to identify and uninstall duplicate drivers...?: there are multiple drivers of motherboard resources, UMBus enumerator, ACPI Fan, ACPI thermal zone etc. should i uninstall these duplicates...? [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Identifying auto updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Identifying auto updates: There's a program in my computer, I suspect from Adobe, auto-downloading updates in the background, and I'd like to find out which program it is. I've checked Windows updates, update history, and it says "No updates have been installed yet." The box for "Give me updates...
  7. Driver update tools vs. Manufacturer update sites?

Driver update tools vs. Manufacturer update sites?: My Asus X550CC laptop has 22 outdated drivers, according to Driver Easy (Free) but the Asus support site says my laptop is up to date. Where have these "outdated" manufacturer drivers come from if not from the technobods at Asus? And if so, why arn't they available to me from...
  8. How to stop a popup screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop a popup screen?: This frequently pops up on my PC. How can I stop it? [img] 89902
  9. How to identify contents of partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to identify contents of partitions: My single ssd has the partitions shown in the attached file. This notebook was converted to win 10 from 8.1. I want to merge C: and D: into one volume. However to do that it appears that I need to have them adjacent. I tried to move the two offending small partitions but...
  10. How to remove taskbar popups

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove taskbar popups: Hello, here's a question i can't find the answer on google for. When i hover the mousepointer over the icons in the taskbar, a window pops up with the contents of the icon. HOw do i remove this phenomenon? thank you in advance 93589