Windows 10: How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

Discus and support How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I get frequent popup update requests at lower right of screen. Only one of these is identifiable: Macrium I assumed all the others were M$. But... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OldGrantonian, May 16, 2019.

1. How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

I get frequent popup update requests at lower right of screen.

Only one of these is identifiable: Macrium

I assumed all the others were M$.

But yesterday, I clicked on an unknown popup, using a long stick and wearing a gas mask, in case I was infected. The popup was from "Intel Driver and Support Assistant", so that was OK. (On reflection, I suppose it could just as easily have been Huawei masquerading as Intel.)

But, as a general question, how safe is it to automatically click on anonymous popups?

BTW1: I have Win Defender and "always on" MBAM.

BTW2: I'm posting this in this forum, because IMO it's a security issue (rather than an update issue).

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, May 16, 2019
  2. Jsssssssss, May 16, 2019
  3. Smeed Win User
    Smeed, May 16, 2019
  4. EdTittel Win User

How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 16, 2019
Thema:

How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests?

1. How to identify the manufacturer of popup update requests? - Similar Threads - identify manufacturer popup

2. How to delete popups.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to delete popups.: Whenever I boot up my computer a popup for LINKEDIN appears in my NOTIFICATIONS box and pops up on my desktop screen. When I go into my notifications box it lets me close it but not remove it. I have never had a LINKEDIN account and do not know how it got there. Any help...
  3. How to disable the popup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the popup?: My window shows automatically a setting popup how i remove it or disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-popup/49771d74-68c1-4949-8959-05021a4ebbce
  4. How to disable the popup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable the popup?: My window shows automatically a setting popup how i remove it or disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-popup/49771d74-68c1-4949-8959-05021a4ebbce
  5. How do you identify the app that triggers request to access camera?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you identify the app that triggers request to access camera?: Recently I have started getting a periodic notification that an app is requesting permission to access my camera and microphone while using Random Salad Games' Freecell. The notification is random. The publisher claims that they do not request this access. I am wondering if...
  6. How do you identify the app that triggers request to access camera?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you identify the app that triggers request to access camera?: Recently I have started getting a periodic notification that an app is requesting permission to access my camera and microphone while using Random Salad Games' Freecell. The notification is random. The publisher claims that they do not request this access. I am wondering if...
  7. Windows Update Popup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Popup: Can someone help me on how to disable the windows update popup? possibly using a registry key value? we tried setting up the value here as HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\UpdateNotificationLevel 2 but still the pop ups happen to appear again. Any...
  8. Request for GPU Manufacturers To Allow Display Hotplug Detection Disable And/Or Force Video...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Request for GPU Manufacturers To Allow Display Hotplug Detection Disable And/Or Force Video...: submitted by /u/yona_docova [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lbz60k/request_for_gpu_manufacturers_to_allow_display/
  9. How Honest is the Manufacturer of YOUR Computer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How Honest is the Manufacturer of YOUR Computer?: I had thought Hewlett Packard was pretty honest. But in one sense, at least, I have caught them acting like hucksters of the worst sort and downright SHILLS for McAfee. And I don't appreciate that. There is this message that occasionally pops up in my HP Support Assistant...
  10. Identifying auto updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Identifying auto updates: There's a program in my computer, I suspect from Adobe, auto-downloading updates in the background, and I'd like to find out which program it is. I've checked Windows updates, update history, and it says "No updates have been installed yet." The box for "Give me updates...