Windows 10: How to ignore the presence of the Explorer/Wallpaper Policy?

Discus and support How to ignore the presence of the Explorer/Wallpaper Policy? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So, I am in a corporate environment and yes, there are policies, one of which is the fixed wallpaper policy based on the presence of the HKCU key in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by brunp, Apr 5, 2019.

1. brunp Win User

How to ignore the presence of the Explorer/Wallpaper Policy?

So, I am in a corporate environment and yes, there are policies, one of which is the fixed wallpaper policy based on the presence of the HKCU key in the Policies folder. I dread looking at the same corp picture.

In Windows 7, I discovered the Explorer/Wallpaper policy that sits in the HKCU Policies settings. I wrote a quick C# program to remove that entry and once removed, I could replace the background and proceed to the next background image without a problem.

Now comes Windows 10 upgrade. The same policies exist in the exact same locations, however, despite removing the Wallpaper policy (which unlocks the Personalization UI), I am unable to get the slideshow to work. What I discovered is that when Windows 10 launches on the corp lan, the policies are downloaded and that appears to lock in the wallpaper settings at login time despite removing the reg key afterwards. This is a notable Windows 10 behavioral difference.

My program removes the key on shutdown, and I discovered when I boot my system off network (i.e., at home), the background slideshow works without fail.

So, my question is, how can I get Windows 10 to observe the updated policy in real time so the slideshow can work again, if I by chance have to reboot on the corp network. Right now, my work-around is to hibernate, so this way, I just unlock my computer instead of logging into the network.

Thoughts?

Paul

:)

brunp, Apr 5, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Presence of Internet Explorer

If you wish to remove IE untick it here

How to ignore the presence of the Explorer/Wallpaper Policy? [​IMG]

and restart.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2019
  3. unable to change the lock screen Wallpaper.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Are you facing issues while trying to change the lock screen Wallpaper?

• Are you not able to choose the directory where the wallpapers has been saved?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to restart the computer and check if you are able to successfully change the lock screen wallpaper.

• From Desktop, right click and select
      Personalize

• In Personalization window, click on
      Lock Screen
      in the left pane.

• And choose wallpaper you would like to apply for the lock screen by choosing the browse option.

• Close the Personalization window.
    If the issue still persists, please do reply with the required information. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 5, 2019
  4. How to ignore the presence of the Explorer/Wallpaper Policy?

File explorer is not responding

Hi Saeef,

Please reply, did you try the steps suggested above?

We are not sure whether or not you have tried the above suggestion. If haven’t tried, follow the methods suggested above and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, scan the PC for the presence of virus/malware by running the antivirus security software. Run the antivirus security software twice to detect and confirm the presence of malware/virus on your PC. Check for the status of the scan
    to view the presence of virus/malware.

Write to us with the status of File explorer not responding on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

How to ignore the presence of the Explorer/Wallpaper Policy?

1. How to ignore the presence of the Explorer/Wallpaper Policy? - Similar Threads - ignore presence Explorer

2. Windows Update ignores Group Policies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update ignores Group Policies: This has also been added to the Feedback Hub but for some reason the issues surrounding forced driver updates seem to persist as there seems to be zero effort to make AMD driver updates optional. What makes this even worse is that even with the GPO "Do not include drivers...
  3. Windows Update ignores Group Policies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update ignores Group Policies: This has also been added to the Feedback Hub but for some reason the issues surrounding forced driver updates seem to persist as there seems to be zero effort to make AMD driver updates optional. What makes this even worse is that even with the GPO "Do not include drivers...
  4. Windows Update ignoring group policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update ignoring group policy: Hi fellow techs,We have Group Policy configured with automatic updates set to "disabled". Despite that, our machines are randomly installing cumulative updates, devices drivers, and even upgrading to Windows 11 without consent. Every machine we check post-update has a...
  5. Windows Update ignoring group policy

Windows Update ignoring group policy: Hi fellow techs,We have Group Policy configured with automatic updates set to "disabled". Despite that, our machines are randomly installing cumulative updates, devices drivers, and even upgrading to Windows 11 without consent. Every machine we check post-update has a...
  6. Windows Update ignoring group policy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Wallpaper, how to ignore a specific display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wallpaper, how to ignore a specific display: Hello everybody, Here's my situation: I currently have 3 monitors and a TV connected to my PC, and I would like to have a wallpaper extended on the 3 monitors and another different wallpaper (or none at all I don't really care) on the 4th. Is there a way to do this ? I...
  8. Group Policy Desktop Wallpaper Black

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Desktop Wallpaper Black: I have a strange problem where every so often one of my users who has our corporate desktop wallpaper deployed via Group Policy will log on and find that it is now just a black wallpaper. It seems to happen at random but once it has happened the wallpaper does not come back....
  9. [TESTING IGNORE] explorer crashes'

[TESTING IGNORE] explorer crashes': reasonexplorer issues not resolved https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/testing-ignore-explorer-crashes/13192d8f-9b0a-4f3c-a3e1-42be69a926b2
  10. Presence of Internet Explorer

in Browsers and Email
    Presence of Internet Explorer: 1. I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from 8.1 three days ago. I run CCLeaner daily. I see 'Internet Explorer - Temporary Internet Files' in its analysis, still. I thought IE would have been removed and replaced completely by Microsoft Edge in the upgrade process. 2. A...