Windows 10: How to improve the readability of Windows console windows

Discus and support How to improve the readability of Windows console windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows console windows like the command prompt window use a default size and layout by default on all Windows PCs. The command prompt window for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to improve the readability of Windows console windows

Windows console windows like the command prompt window use a default size and layout by default on all Windows PCs.

The command prompt window for example always opens up with a set width of 80 and a height of 25, and a default font size of 8 screen pixels wide and 12 screen pixels high.

How to improve the readability of Windows console windows windows-console-default.png

It happens frequently that input or output are broken up into multiple lines.

While you can change the size of the window manually by using the mouse to adjust the size and improve readability, you may want to make changes to the readability of console windows on Windows PCs permanently if you run into these issues regularly.

How to improve the readability of Windows console windows command-output-issue.png

Some Windows users may also want to increase the size of the font or other font-related settings to improve readability.

The layout and design of console windows -- the command prompt, PowerShell and Windows Subsystem for Linux all belong to the category -- can be adjusted.

Customizing console windows on Windows

You can modify several display related parameters:

• Set a different window height and width that is permanent.
    • Specify a default window position.
    • Change the font size and font type.
    • Change text and background colors.
    • Adjust the opacity of the window.

Changing window parameters

How to improve the readability of Windows console windows window-size-position.png

While you can make the adjustments manually in the window properties, a far better way to make the changes is to adjust the window manually first.

Resize the width and/or height of the console window and position it in a location that you want it to open from now on. These changes are temporary unless you open the properties and make them permanent:

1. Right-click on the title bar of the console window and select Properties from the context menu.
    2. Switch to the Layout tab. You find new values for Window Size and Window Position there.
    3. You may want to uncheck "Let system position window" if you want the window to always open in the same location on the screen.
    4. A click on ok saves the values which makes them the new defaults on the system.

Changing text related parameters

How to improve the readability of Windows console windows windows-console-font-size.png

The second option that you have in regards to improving readability of console windows is to modify font related settings; this is done in the properties as well.

1. Open the Font tab of the properties.
    2. Font size: change the default font size of 8x12 to a larger or smaller size. Size values depend on the selected font.
    3. Font type: pick a different font from the list of supported fonts.

Any change that you make in the window is shown as a preview so that you know how it will look like immediately.

Note that font size changes may change the height or width of the console window as it is adjusted automatically.

Changing console colors

How to improve the readability of Windows console windows windows-command-prompt-colors.png

The third major option that you have to improve the readability of console windows is to change colors.

1. Switch to the Colors tab in the Properties window.
    2. Select one of the available elements (Screen Text, Screen Background, Popup Text, Popup Background).
    3. Adjust the color by selecting one of the available presets or by entering color values for red, green and blue manually.

A preview of the new selection is displayed automatically in the window so that you may adjust it accordingly.

Other console options

How to improve the readability of Windows console windows windows-console-customize.png

The Properties window includes other options that you may find useful when it comes to improving readability:

• Options > Cursor Size -- Change the cursor size from small to medium or large.
    • Colors > Opacity -- Change the opacity level of the console window.
    Closing Words

Windows saves layout settings for each console type, e.g. cmd or PowerShell, separately. You need to modify default settings for each console individually to adjust them all and improve readability in the process.

Now You: Have you modified the consoles in Windows?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to improve the readability of Windows console windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Nov 8, 2018
  4. hellrazor Win User

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. How to improve the readability of Windows console windows - Similar Threads - improve readability console

2. How do I readable my device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I readable my device: I have a major issue I have been locked out my d’hiver and now I disabled the device by mistake I need to re activate it now! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-readable-my-device/e7637860-e557-41b8-9edf-616290c5ccd8
  3. How do I readable my device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I readable my device: I have a major issue I have been locked out my d’hiver and now I disabled the device by mistake I need to re activate it now! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-readable-my-device/e7637860-e557-41b8-9edf-616290c5ccd8
  4. Provided Key not readable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Provided Key not readable: Windows 11 key purchased and the Provided Key not readable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/provided-key-not-readable/ea323ceb-86a3-43f0-9647-c6ad61f79fe4
  5. Readability problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Readability problems: On my small 10.1 screen in a number of situations I am finding the text difficult to read, sometimes because of the size of the font, more often it is the colour of the font against the background. This applies to some apps and often with system popup windows. I have just...
  6. Software not readable on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Software not readable on Windows 10: I have a Brother Quattro 6000D. I have software I have never used and now windows 10 will not read the disc. PE-DESIGN, PE-DESIGN PLUS and FLIP PAL. Can you help me?...
  7. How to make tab names readable?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make tab names readable?: The tab names are black on a dark grey background. Almost impossible to read. Also some of the images are dark blue on the dark grey. Does anyone care about making them visible?...
  8. How to remove corrupted or readable file

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove corrupted or readable file: Somehow my Visual Studio 2017 community installation has failed. A folder called Roslyn is corrupted or unreadable. I cannot delete it, even running CMD as an Admin. Reinstalling VS 2017 doesn't work because it needs that folder. SO...what to do? Thanks. RON 97893
  9. Improvements to DevTools Console in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    Improvements to DevTools Console in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: We made significant improvements to the Microsoft Edge DevTools in EdgeHTML 16 with the Windows 10 Fall Creator’s Update, including new support for DOM mutation breakpoints and event and CSS inspection in the new Elements tab. Today, we’d like to walk through new...
  10. Console Improvements in the Windows 10 Technical Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Console Improvements in the Windows 10 Technical Preview: I have some good news about the Windows command line console, conhost.exe. In this blog post, I’m joined by our two console developers, Michael Niksa and Paul Campbell. We’d like to give you an overview of what’s been changed since the console was last updated. You can check...