Windows 10: How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

Discus and support How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows. I got a bigger HDD recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mrbenz19, May 16, 2020.

1. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows.

I got a bigger HDD recently and clone the old HDD to the new one. Now I realize that 60GB is too damn small for Windows. The HDD has two partition, C and E. I can't expand the C using the disk management tool from Windows since there's no unassigned space near it. Drive E is still have 500gb free, so there's plenty of space to use actually.

So, my question is: Is there any way that I could resize the C partition? If I can't, can I made a new drive partition from the free space in E (so a new F drive perhaps) and clone/move C to it?

Notes:

My old HDD is still around but will soon be used on another PC, so that can't be used as a permanent solution. What has cross my mind currently is to clone the new HDD to my old HDD, then wipe the new HDD, clone only the C to the new HDD, expand it, then clone only E to the new HDD.

Or

Clone only my current E drive to old HDD. Wipe the E clean in the new HDD, expand the C drive, then clone the E back to the new HDD.

But, is there any more convenient way to handle this without using two drive? Also, what is the ideal size for C partition to install Windows? I'm thinking to make it 120gb at least and put bigger applications to other drive.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/mrbenz19
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mrbenz19, May 16, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 16, 2020
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, May 16, 2020
  4. kristain Win User

How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

Partition My Hard Drive

1. Right click on the space listed as unallocated.
    2. At the menu that comes up, click on the New Partition option.
    3. You will now be presented with a wizard as to how you would like the partition to be created. At the first screen press Next.
    4. At the following screen, determine if you need a primary or extended partition. For more information about these partitions you can read our partition tutorial listed above. Most people will be fine selecting Primary Partition. Select Primary Partition and press Next.
    5. You will be prompted to type in how much of the unallocated space you would like used for the new partition. In my example, my unallocated space is 26.43 GB, so I can choose to make a partition of that entire amount of only use half and save the rest for another partition. Regardless, of what you decide, you need to enter a size in the Partition size in MB: field, or stick with the default size, and press the Next button.
    6. At the next screen, select the drive letter you would like assigned to it, or use the default one given. When done, press the Next button. The drive letter that you assign here will be how you access the partition later.
    7. For the most part you are advised to use the NTFS file system. If you need a file system that can be readable by older operating systems like DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME, then you should instead choose the FAT32 file system.
    8. Type a name in the Volume Label field that will be associated with this partition or leave it blank.
    9. Finally press the Next button and you will come to a summary screen. Review how the partition will be created, and if you are satisfied, press the Finish button to complete the creation and formatting of your new hard disk partition.

kristain, May 16, 2020
Thema:

How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

1. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive? - Similar Threads - increase move system

2. How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive: I installed windows on an ssd but I had another hdd installed at the same time so the 'System Reserved' partition is in the hdd. This is a problem now because I have to replace the hdd so I was wondering if there was a way to either move or copy or clone the "System Reserved'...
  3. Move the boot partition to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move the boot partition to another drive?: My situation is as follows: My Desktop has 2 different SSDs: First has a WS19 install and the boot partition, Second has only the Windows 10 partition. I want to delete the WS19 partition and move W10 into its place. Am I right, that I have to keep the original boot...
  4. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  5. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  6. Moving boot partition to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving boot partition to another drive: I've found very mixed things about this, most making it seem too difficult to be worthwhile. I have Windows 10 dual booting with OSX, and for some reason, Windows put its bootloader on my HDD which I use solely for backup purposes. Windows itself is installed to its own SSD....
  7. System partition on one drive; boot partition & Windows on another?

System partition on one drive; boot partition & Windows on another?: I have a 4 year old Dell XPS 8700 running windows 10 (2004 though I don't think that matters). I had used MiniTool Partition Wizard to clean up some partition issues on an old laptop and ran it on this machine. I see that 3 months ago when I added an SSD drive as the primary...
  8. Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive): Is this possible without third-party software? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it with disk management, I shrink the volume I want to take space from but then the "expand volume" option is greyed out when I right click on the partition I want to move that free...
  9. How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition to another

How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition to another: How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition at higher offset to another lower one, as was prepared ? [img] Many thankfulness for sincere helpful effort 101436
  10. How to increase the System Reserved Partition size

How to increase the System Reserved Partition size: I am having Dual Boot PC XP and Windows 10 on different hard disk. Windows 10 have been upgraded from Windows 7 but the System Reserved Partition on Windows 10 remained 100 MB ( 30 MB is free space ), wherein if we clean install the Windows 10 then System Reserved Partition...