Windows 10: How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or...

Discus and support How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I wanted a Desktop shortcut and an entry in Quick Access in any Explorer folder's sidebar to let me see a good sized list of recent folder I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StevenRoussos, Oct 29, 2019.

1. How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or...

So I wanted a Desktop shortcut and an entry in Quick Access in any Explorer folder's sidebar to let me see a good sized list of recent folder I had opened.

For the 1st I followed these instructions:

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/create-recent-folders-shortcut-in-windows-10.8416/

Nice. NOTE: You can pin that to the Taskbar or Startmenu if desired.

For the 2nd I followed these instructions:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/...ces-navigation-pane-windows-10-file-explorer/

And followed thru to pin that to Quick Access.

(After opening I add a column for "Date Accessed" and sort it based on that.)

BUT: the numer items listed in the resulting Quick Access folder seems capped at an odd arbitrary 33 items.

I wanted to increase that to 50, just to have a longer historical list of folders I had opened in the recent past.

SOOOO.... I Googled up these instructions for a small registry hack:

https://www.howtogeek.com/267705/how-to-increase-the-number-of-jump-list-items-in-windows-10/

which adds a registry entry "JumpListItems_Maximum" in the appropriate place in the registry to set the legth of Widows' "Jump Lists." In my case I set the decimal value to 50, then used File, Exit to properly close RegEdit. The article says that should instantly increase the number of "Recent" type listings to 50.

I closed all open "Recent Folders" folders I had opened earlier, then I opened some new folders and then tried both the Desktop shortcut and the Quick Access link, HOWEVER, the number of items in both is still capped at 33.

Has that capability be removed or is there some other way to do what I am trying to do?

NOTE: I can also go to C:\Users\<my userame>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent (I created a desktop shortcut to that) then put kind=folder in the Search box.

THAT list seems capped at 36 long. Weird. Still a cap but slightly longer.

This all seems arbitrary, and capped at 33 and 36, respectively.

Help me understand how those folders work, if there really is any way to control their length, and why that Jump List length Registry hack no longer works.

THANKS.

:)

StevenRoussos, Oct 29, 2019
  2. Saeed_542 Win User

How can I increase the number of dynamic frequent folders shown in the quick access pane in windows 10?

The "recent items" feature in previous windows versions was a great productivity tool. But it has been split in windows 10 which is fine and reduced in size which is not.

In windows 10 by default there are four dynamically generated frequent folders shown in the quick access pane (as opposed to a very large number in previous versions).

How can this number be increased from 4?

How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or... 80bba48d-d6fc-4b92-aa17-0d1972d421c5.jpg

Put another way:

Where in the registry is numberOfDynamicFrequentFoldersToShowInQuickAccessPane = ox00000004

Obviously I made up the name "numberOfDynamicFrequentFoldersToShowInQuickAccessPane" it is not the actual name in the registry (though maybe it should be) but somewhere in the registry there is a value
    set to four that controls the number of 'dynamic' frequent folder shown in the Quick access pane

key words: frequent folders, quick access, recent places, recent folders, registry, regedit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

note:

To increase the number of recent files

Note: By default 10 most recent items are shown in Jump List for any application. You can however, change the number from default 10 to something else.

How to change the number of recent items to display in Jump Lists using Registry edit:
    • Press Windows + R keys, type in regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    • In the right pane double click on the Start_JumpListItems to modify it.
    • Enter a number between 0 to 60.
    • Restart the computer.

http://www.windows10update.com/2015...ber-of-recent-items-to-display-in-jump-lists/

Saeed_542, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Increase recent items list

I would like to increase the size of the recent items list. I find this recommendation in several p0laces:

Note: By default 10 most recent items are shown in Jump List for any application. You can however, change the number from default 10 to something else.
    How to change the number of recent items to display in Jump Lists using Registry edit:
    Press Windows + R keys, type in regedit and press Enter.
    Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    In the right pane double click on the Start_JumpListItems to modify it.
    Enter a number between 0 to 60.
    Restart the computer.
    Windows 10 Tutorials 81 – Change the Number of Recent Items to Display in Jump Lists

However I have done that and the recent items list stays at 15. How can I increase it?

woldsweather, Oct 29, 2019
  4. How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or...

Increase number of recent folders in quick access

I want to increase the number of items displayed i n recent folders

TadeleJembere, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or...

1. How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or... - Similar Threads - increase number items

2. How to increase the number of Jump List items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase the number of Jump List items in Windows 10: Windows 10 by default displays 12 items in the Taskbar Jump Lists. In Windows 7 you could change this number via Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, Now this is no longer possible. Increase number of Jump List items in Windows 10 If you want to change or increase the number of...
  3. How to count the number of items in a folder on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to count the number of items in a folder on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Here is a simple trick that will show you how to count the number […] This article How to count the number of items in a folder on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. Recent Items Directory Folder...Want to increase default of 150 items

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Items Directory Folder...Want to increase default of 150 items: Windows 10 Home version...Recent Items Directory Folder in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\ has a default of 150 items. How do i increase this number to say 200? Is this default number stored in the registry or a Local Group Policy? Please note this has nothing to do with...
  5. Recent Items Directory Folder...Want to increase default of 150 items

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Items Directory Folder...Want to increase default of 150 items: Windows 10...Recent Items Directory Folder in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\ has a default of 150 items. How do i increase this number to say 200? Is this default number stored in the registry or a Local Group Policy? Please note this has nothing to do with the Quick...
  6. Increase number of recent folders in quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increase number of recent folders in quick access: This seems to have been done to death over the years but the interest in pressing MS for an update has waned by the looks of it. I would encourage all interested users to post more regularly about this becasue for those who are file and folder users, this is an important...
  7. Increase recent items list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase recent items list: I would like to increase the size of the recent items list. I find this recommendation in several p0laces: Note: By default 10 most recent items are shown in Jump List for any application. You can however, change the number from default 10 to something else. How to change...
  8. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists: As title says I'm wanting to know if there's a way to increase the amount of items can be stuffed into a taskbar jumplist. My reason is, I've used the jumplist feature in Windows 7 for Steam to give quicker access to some of the options you can only access by...
  9. How do I increase the number of frequent folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I increase the number of frequent folders?: I'd like to be able to increase the default number of frequent folders located in the quick access menu so that it's more than 4. I tried searching for this question but couldn't find anyone else asking it. 74710
  10. Recent items folder Empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent items folder Empty: Hi - when I first open File Explorer all the recent items are there. I've added the Recent Items Folder to the Quick Access menu using instructions I found here by opening the shell:recent window. but it always says that the recent items folder is empty.The thread across the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can I incereased the number of folders in file explorer 2019