Windows 10: How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

Discus and support How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm also interested in this. Taskbar icons are ridiculously small *Sad Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whitebloodcell, Jun 18, 2015.

1. sanorin Win User

How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

I'm also interested in this. Taskbar icons are ridiculously small *Sad

sanorin, Aug 19, 2015
  2. DTG1 Win User

I have to say M$ really did a number here. Talk about needing a Captain Krunch decoder ring...

3. HIM
    him Win User
    Not sure if anyone has posted this earlier, but one way to do it is to increase the scaling to 125% and then reduce the size of individual fonts. I think that would definitely work out. Not sure though how it will impact individual apps like say MS Office Suite, etc.

4. How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

What I noticed here was that 10 was trying to raise the screen res up from the default 1440x900 to 1600x1024! Even when set at 1400x900 the task bar remains at the 1600xx1024 setting which why the large remains smaller then preferred. When following step one in the guide pointed to you can immediately see the impact on the dual display set up here while viewing both this thread and the guide while noting how the resolution is changed on the primary monitor only.

How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar [​IMG]

Night Hawk, Aug 23, 2015
  5. lkmorris Win User
    When you increase the scaling, it increases for everything, just want the Task Bar Icons bigger. Back to what they were in Windows 8.

lkmorris, Aug 23, 2015
  6. DTG1 Win User
    The problem with window scaling is that it increases EVERYTHING that is used, viewed, and played on that monitor. If you play a game in fullscreen mode on a scaled up monitor, the game window is scaled up and extends off screen too, try to alt-enter into windowed mode and it just makes matters worse.

This may not be the case for tablet or phone users or whatever other device is used, but on PC its EFF'IN ANNOYING!

7. I think you hit the nail on the head there! I upgrade a laptop for someone who needs things increased in size without changing the entire screen resolution. That person has to go again for cataract type eye surgery and presently can't wear the reading glasses. Once the cataract is tended to and the wait is past a new prescription will solve a great deal while the 1600x1024 task bar on the laptop is still a bit too awkward.

Personally however I tend to pin quite a bit onto the task bar but also use jump list type additional toolbar where I got accustomed to the smaller large size rather quickly since I already know where everything is. Yet you can easily resize the tiles on the new Start menu with a simple right click there! That's where they stuck all of the "bloat wares" people always seemed to complain about on their laptops and pre-made OEM desktops. With Tablets of course everything is embedded.

Night Hawk, Aug 24, 2015
  8. How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

BUMP AND SOLUTION! Solution posted on the new thread seen at Solved Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar - Windows 10 Forums

Edwin came in with the fast and easy solution to his credit there and now have a look at the simple right click option missed!

First you have to click on the unlock taskbar option found in the right click menu when right clicking on the task bar itself. Having a few aaditional tool bars can help since you get accustomed to seeing the dual vertical lines side by side for each new tool bar added on and where you right click to also see one new item at the top of the right click menu being "view"! Once you click on that the options for LARGE or smal icons is checked off and that's it! You can thank Edwin over on the other thread for the find! *Biggrin

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  9. DTG1 Win User
    Sorry thats not a solution, that check box has already been discussed here.

10. Well that's part of the solution seeing maybe not all but some increased in size. Typically the icons for the first additional tool bar seen by the Task View button would be smaller then the ones pinned! The ones pinned also grew in size as well and no longer look as if they were at the 1600x1024 or ? screen resolution.

Here's a look at the other snipping taken to show how that looks for anyone interested.

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  11. DTG1 Win User
    Its not a solution for my PC, I have a different context menu. Its not a solution, since I want to set my own icon size. Its not a solution because I may have a different version of windows. Saying its solved just cuz it works for a few people is like saying, "I have ice cream and you cant have none" (Raw)

Call yourself lucky.

12. Well so far that's the best option heard about since right clicking on the desktop to choose display settings and increase the text size flops in a fast hurry as everything gets resized. This only effects what is seen on the task bar only lacking custom adjustments.

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  13. How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

Gee will just have to make a comparison here side by... or one above the other rather! The task bar icons will never be the same as the Start menu's tiles in any case where you can resize those easily.

Want to fill that area up good and not take up the entire desktop as Metro does?

Now compare the impact of the view setting change on the task bar that isn't as illustrious but will tend to grow some without some having four settings a piece.

Now compare that to the default size you would normally see.

I can't actually recall anyone trying to grow task bar icons in Vista or 7 either since the exact same "use small icons" check box has been in Windows since XP. The only annoyance was seen at first seeing the desktop at the higher then default resolution and having left the task bar unchanged when getting the default 1440x900 back here. That has been the oddity found in 10 so far regarding display settings.

Night Hawk, Aug 27, 2015
  14. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Sorry Night Hawk. . .he has no idea what he is looking for. . .you and I along with a great deal of others here on the 10's know what he is looking for is not available otherwise someone would have jumped in with the solution. Good job attempting to help though. . .*Thumbs

15. Well I have to take 10 the way it is and simply work with it. Someone was asking about how to customize the tiles on the Start menu where I explained I got things organized and resized to free up desktop space whenever the Start was opened up.

I'm quite sure over time someone will come out with some 3rd party tweakers since all this is controlled by way of the system registry where a few new entries would be added in or certain ones seeing values changed. That will come in time however. Here I simply had to reset the what should have been automatically detected correct screen resolution when the 10 set up put it at a higher setting.

Night Hawk, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

1. How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar - Similar Threads - increase size icons

2. How do I increase the size of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I increase the size of desktop icons?: Desktop icons are very small. How do I increase their size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-increase-the-size-of-desktop-icons/5579a27a-7256-443c-bfb7-33f916326d66
  3. Taskbar Size increases

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Size increases: How do i correct my taskbar size issue after connecting to external monitor as my TV screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-size-increases/26a18262-895a-4bdd-bf84-e4687d8b88f9
  4. How to increase text size on the icons without increasing icon size as well?

How to increase text size on the icons without increasing icon size as well?: My old eyes don't read the text as readily as I like. I want to increase the text size on the icons without increasing icon size. Is this possible?...
  5. Increase taskbar icons size without affecting programs

Increase taskbar icons size without affecting programs: I've just migrated to W10 after over a decade of W7, and I really can't adapt to everything being so small... If I change the scale ratio in the Display Settings, then everything (including programs) gets scaled up, which I don't want. I just want to scale up taskbar icons in...
  6. how to increase text size in icons

how to increase text size in icons: I like Windows 10 but the text size on the icons is soooo small. How can I increase it without changing the resolution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-text-size-in-icons/5ca364cc-acd2-4ac8-8576-7f3c7ba338ea
  7. How can I increase the size of the icons and text

How can I increase the size of the icons and text: I try what they say but it doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-the-icons-and-text/ec266a42-37e1-45d5-a2a8-5d1df9b486a5
  8. How to increase size of icons on taskbar windows 10?

How to increase size of icons on taskbar windows 10?: Just switched to W10 from W7, can't seem to find a way to increase the size of the icons in my taskbar. All the solutions I've found are either 5 or more years old or make other things larger- text, desktop icons, everything. All I want to do is make the Taskbar icons...
  9. How to Increase Chrome Tab Font & Icon Size?

in Browsers and Email
    How to Increase Chrome Tab Font & Icon Size?: The text font in the Chrome tabs along the top of the screen is too hard to read - as is the address bar and icons. I've set my graphics dpi to a setting which is fine for all other apps and don't want to change it. The Chrome default text size has no effect, Google has not...
  10. App icons increase in size

in Windows 10 Support
    App icons increase in size: The app icons on my PC increase in size every time l turn on my PC. I know how to reset them, right click, click view etc. but why does it keep happening? My google page is ridiculously enlarged and l don't know how to reset that. 68371