Windows 10: How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

Discus and support How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sorry Night Hawk. . .he has no idea what he is looking for. . .you and I along with a great deal of others here on the 10's know what he is looking for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whitebloodcell, Jun 18, 2015.

1. DTG1 Win User

How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

I know exactly what I'm looking for.

2. Well then you know all goes by way of the system registry where the focus has to be placed. As to just which keys? Will new ones be needed? or do you simply change the values on a few remains to be seen. With most of the previous versions going back to Win 2000 someone always seems to come up with some 3rd party mod for seeing things customized. As to how good? Don't bother trashing a working system trying them all out!

Night Hawk, Aug 27, 2015
  3. dacrone Win User
    A quick work-around is to create a new toolbar, set it to use large icons, then place all the desired icons into the new toolbar folder that you created. not perfect but works until a better solution is discovered.

dacrone, Aug 27, 2015
  4. MrKnox Win User

I think you do. Unless you despise any 3rd party help, try downloading the latest beta of 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
    Run it. Right-click on the icon in your task tray. Select Advanced Options. Scroll down to W10 large icons. Change the 0 to 1. Apply. Enjoy.

MrKnox, Aug 27, 2015
  5. DTG1 Win User
    Thanks I'll check that out. I'd prefer not to install 3rd party Apps, so hopefully there is a portable version.

6. If you look back at both Post #22 and #29 you will see how I was able to grow the Quick bar Quick Launch additional tool bar icons but only was able to widen the main task bar itself without any change in size for the items pinned on the main bar itself. It was interesting seeing the one next to the Task View button grow since while the browser is open despite being pinned on the main task bar I have to click a second icon for same to open up a second browser window. One reason I also saw the "new windows" button added to the task bar on the browser itself.

As for the need to grow any here I can live with the smaller then preferred size since I only end up needing more space anyways and certainly tend to veer away from any number of 3rd party tweakers intended for Vista, 7 to be seen used on something three versions newer!

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  7. dacrone Win User
    I've been running the 7+ Taskbar Tweaker since he posted it earlier today and it is extremely light weight. I forgot it was running. Definitely happy to have the normal size back though!

dacrone, Aug 28, 2015
  8. How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

Just remember while the single task bar tweaker may be light once you start adding on any number of new startup items you will soon be wondering why Windows is running slowwwww errrrrr.... Each of these addons are new startup items since they have to load at startup as well as anything else you have running.

The only other concern would be seen over time as far as how the 10 registry differs quite a bit differently from say Windows 7 had been. If you start getting into too many things that were not written with 10 in mind you could end up making a mess of things! That's the one possible outcome when going to use 3rd party tweakers intended for the older versions.

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  9. dacrone Win User
    I'm running a quad core i7, 16gb ddr3 ram, and an intel 730 series ssd... not worried about the speed. the registry mods i keep to a minimum in every os though. i hate tweaking the reg so unless its a simple mod i don't usually care enough to do it.. theres always another way in windows haha

dacrone, Aug 28, 2015
  10. I used to go after and still have a ton of downloads for all types of 3rd party apps that now simply sit in folders! I found that no matter how much memory like the 3.6ghz Phenom II and 16gb of ram here doesn't amount to hill if you end up trashing the system reg! This is also why I have a second remote system I use to test thing on there to avoid trashing the main build's OSs! *Biggrin

Now here's something found on the author's site as far as the latest news on the task bar tweaker tool there.

Seen along with the news about updates at 7tt_setup.exe changelog So the thing everyone will be most interested in there of course would be "Added the w10_large_icons advanced option, which changes taskbar icon sizes from 24x24 to 32x32 on Windows 10.".

At least the installer provides the option for seeing it start up along with Windows or not with the check box. I haven't even run this one since the Vista/7 beta dual boot!

UPDATE: As I thought a new set of registry values had to be added in! The 10 option you find in the advanced settings require a right click to modify the default 0 value to 1 being the binary switch to see the task items grow. You will notice when compared to the default size on the main build's extended task bar on the second monitor.

How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar [​IMG]

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  11. dacrone Win User
    ^ yeah, I typically test tweaks on my VM, unless I'm just being lazy.. which is honestly what I was with this. I just threw this on my main OS and called it good haha. Thanks for the update w/pic tho!

dacrone, Aug 28, 2015
  12. DTG1 Win User
    Note: that the large icon selection only works for additional toolbars , not the static taskbar. The static taskbar is the one at the very top in the image in Night Hawk's post. Its the icons on the static taskbar that need to be enlarged.

13. How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar

They are! Having been familiar with the 7 Tweaker as well as another 7 taskbar tweaker I put this one to work since the first older one I still had stashed was "For Windows 7 Only"! That was another tweaker someone worked up for SF back 5yrs. when first seen. Here's what came when trying to give that a run.

When checking that off to hit the runanyways button the W7 only notice appeared since it had been written for 7 only at the time. Butt for growing all of the icons the view works for the additional tool bars while the 7 Tweaker's advanced reg mod switch I pointed out does seen the pinned items grow.

I put it to the task on both machines after seeing 10 slap the 1600x ? screen res on which shrunk them! This grows them but still won't allow any custom sizes!

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  14. So how do you know the main trask bar items grew at all? Compare the earlier screen when only the task bar view option saw the Large checked off where Waterfox and Explorer icons grew but not anything pinned on the main task bar itself. Now look at how the both icons appear equal in size on the task bar as well as the Quick Bar. The Quick Bar icons were always smaller in size there.

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  15. DTG1 Win User
    ok if that works, and it's just a reg mod tweaker then it should be no problem posting the registry strings for the taskbar icons. Why use a whole program for one line of code....

Maybe that will help find the key that stores the actual size of the icons. When the regkey says small icons, find what stores the dimensions of the small icons key, is it another key or a dll or what?

Thema:

1. How to increase the size of the icons/tiles in the taskbar - Similar Threads - increase size icons

2. How do I increase the size of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I increase the size of desktop icons?: Desktop icons are very small. How do I increase their size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-increase-the-size-of-desktop-icons/5579a27a-7256-443c-bfb7-33f916326d66
  3. Taskbar Size increases

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Size increases: How do i correct my taskbar size issue after connecting to external monitor as my TV screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-size-increases/26a18262-895a-4bdd-bf84-e4687d8b88f9
  4. How to increase text size on the icons without increasing icon size as well?

How to increase text size on the icons without increasing icon size as well?: My old eyes don't read the text as readily as I like. I want to increase the text size on the icons without increasing icon size. Is this possible?...
  5. Increase taskbar icons size without affecting programs

Increase taskbar icons size without affecting programs: I've just migrated to W10 after over a decade of W7, and I really can't adapt to everything being so small... If I change the scale ratio in the Display Settings, then everything (including programs) gets scaled up, which I don't want. I just want to scale up taskbar icons in...
  6. how to increase text size in icons

how to increase text size in icons: I like Windows 10 but the text size on the icons is soooo small. How can I increase it without changing the resolution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-text-size-in-icons/5ca364cc-acd2-4ac8-8576-7f3c7ba338ea
  7. How can I increase the size of the icons and text

How can I increase the size of the icons and text: I try what they say but it doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-the-icons-and-text/ec266a42-37e1-45d5-a2a8-5d1df9b486a5
  8. How to increase size of icons on taskbar windows 10?

How to increase size of icons on taskbar windows 10?: Just switched to W10 from W7, can't seem to find a way to increase the size of the icons in my taskbar. All the solutions I've found are either 5 or more years old or make other things larger- text, desktop icons, everything. All I want to do is make the Taskbar icons...
  9. How to Increase Chrome Tab Font & Icon Size?

in Browsers and Email
    How to Increase Chrome Tab Font & Icon Size?: The text font in the Chrome tabs along the top of the screen is too hard to read - as is the address bar and icons. I've set my graphics dpi to a setting which is fine for all other apps and don't want to change it. The Chrome default text size has no effect, Google has not...
  10. App icons increase in size

in Windows 10 Support
    App icons increase in size: The app icons on my PC increase in size every time l turn on my PC. I know how to reset them, right click, click view etc. but why does it keep happening? My google page is ridiculously enlarged and l don't know how to reset that. 68371