Windows 10: How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another?

Discus and support How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I noticed when copying big files, the transfer speed is not maximized. When copying a file, the transfer rate for the first few seconds plays around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Talib_Dota, Jun 8, 2020.

1. How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another?

I noticed when copying big files, the transfer speed is not maximized. When copying a file, the transfer rate for the first few seconds plays around 1-2GBps. Then it slows down below 150MBps and it stays that way. Is there way I can speed it up? When I am copying a file less than 2GB, it copies/paste in an instant.

What I've done so far:

1. Set File Explorer to Realtime/High Priority via Task Manager
    2. Tried Teracopy and the speed is the same

I am transferring from an m.2 SSD PCIE to SSD and HDD SATA 3. My Power Plan is High. Thanks.

submitted by /u/Talib_Dota
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Talib_Dota, Jun 8, 2020
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Copieing files

Hi IRB4U,

Just to verify your concern, are you having issues copying or transferring files from the local drive of your PC? If so, kindly provide answers to these questions below so we can further assess the issue.

• What type of files are you copying/transferring that you are having issues with?
    • Where are you transferring the files into?
    • Does this happen only when transferring large-sized files?
    • When did this issue start to occur?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done?
    • What is the current edition, version and OS build of Windows installed on your PC? (Information can be found via
      Settings > System > About)
    • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC that may have triggered this performance issue?

In the mean time, I would suggest performing some basic troubleshooting steps to improve your PC performance. Kindly refer to
    this link for the steps. Try all the steps from that link, and if you encounter any errors along the way, please
    let us know by replying to this post.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Need explanation on odd figures from Copy/Transfer rates

---------------
    --Update--
    ---------------

So basically the issue (You can read in details bellow) was that on copying files one gets three different readings , Explorer report a figure between 35 ~ 70 MB/s , Task Manager Disk % Transfer Rate reports double the number & yet Disk % Utilization never exceeds 50~60% .

Thanks to @dalchina & @Samuria I was able to experiment with the issue a little more and here are my findings :

1 - Apparently on file Copy windows deal with Explorer as yet another program running with Normal priority assigning to it a Quota of Disk % Utilization (a Cap) where Explorer as a program do the Reading then hands it in a Queue like action to the System Process to do the Writing , so Explorer just report its part (the Reading speed in MB/s) and yet Disk % Transfer rate combines it along with the Writing done by the System as well :

How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another? [​IMG]

2 - The reason of priority and capping was revealed to me as on conducting the same experiment with Robocopy (A fast folder copy command line tool suggested by Samuria) , when the system reached its Disk % Utilization peek (95~100%) the system starts becoming slightly unresponsive .

3 - Now on the other hand Robocopy command despite not running in any higher priority somehow trigger the System to assist it in Reading so the Cap limiting is off (i.e the System Read along with it at the exact capped speed) to render a full Disk % Utilization :

How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another? [​IMG]

4 - There are few side effects to Robocopy other than System responsiveness and those are :
    a - The documentation is Jerky
    b - You can't monitor progress or have an estimate on when it's done
    c - It uses an odd method of committing all files in last step
    (i.e you wont be seeing a single file output until it is done copying/moving all)
    d - It is designed for directory copy , no file copy support

5 - Microsoft made a GUI for Robocopy as it is essentially a command line tool which is difficult to find so I have included it in post attachments yet however it only ease up using it but wouldn't solve the no progress monitor or time estimate or pause or cancel problem etc .

Cheers

-----------------------
    --Original Post--
    -----------------------
    Ok so basically I am trying to figure why would I get 3 different readings from windows from a file Copy/Move operation , first things first this is an internal SSHD trying to copy files to another internal SSHD both running on a Sata 3 interface .

Now the remark is I get a fluctuating rate between 70 ~ 35 MB/s reported on Copy/Transfer Dialogue and then exactly double the figure on Task Manager "Disk % Transfer Rate" and Yet less than 50% Cap to "Disk % Utilization" .

Now Maybe but not really sure I can assume that the "Disk % Transfer Rate" doubles figures to portray cumulative disk utilization of both disks . Now why is it still capped under 50% if the Sata interface can take it ? Defragmantation ? Can defragmentation cause a 50% cap ?

Which lead me to try it but this time to a USB 3 external HDD and here are the results :

Again the numbers are doubled in "Disk % Transfer Rate" and while the transfer rate is higher the "Disk % Utilization" is lower , so can anyone confirm why these numbers are all messed up like that ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another?

Need solution for automating transferring of files to flash drives

I am wary of jumping straight in at the deep end so I have a couple of questions.

1 How do you know which files to copy to which memory stick? Can you put a list for each one in a text file?
    2 Are you free to give each memory stick a specific label so that it can be detected in order to trigger the specific list that you have written for that memory stick?

I do have a batch file procedure for identifying the drive letter currently being used for a given external drive label. So perhaps you could trigger a common batch file that
    Step 1 - checks each drive in turn to read its label and then find its current drive letter
    Step 2 - for each detected drive, look up the list given in the batch file to identify which [if any] text file to look in to find the files to copy to that memory stick.
    Step 3 - copies the files listed in the relevant text file

Denis

Try3, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another?

1. How to increase transfer rate when copying files from one local drive to another? - Similar Threads - increase transfer rate

2. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  3. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  4. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Copying files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files from one drive to another: Hello, I am copying my useless files from my small storaged ssd to my harddrive, but when i copy over the files their sizes are 10x bigger, the files im copying is only 7.20 gb large but it's copying 70gb worth of storage to my hdd? Please give answers :) submitted by...
  6. How to transfer windows installation from one drive to another.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to transfer windows installation from one drive to another.: I recently purchased an NVMe drive and I'm trying to transfer the windows installation to that drive. I've already transferred all the data and recovery partitions using MiniTool partition wizard, and I've changed the boot priority to the new drive in BIOS but it's still...
  7. How to copy from one flash drive to another?

How to copy from one flash drive to another?: How do I copy the folders from one flash drive to another and preserve the folder modification dates and security permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-from-one-flash-drive-to-another/fcf961df-ce99-4ea8-b13a-45179f677093
  8. How do I transfer files from one hard drive to another?

How do I transfer files from one hard drive to another?: I currently have a 4TB hard drive and was thinking of buying a bigger one. Since I have all my games installed on my hard drive, I would have to redownload them all, which would take hours, if not days. I was wondering how I could maybe transfer all my files/games from my...
  9. Transferring the Users from one drive to another.

Transferring the Users from one drive to another.: I got a new HDD and i would like to move my existing User to that new drive. how do i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-the-users-from-one-drive-to-another/f0bb506e-2d91-4bc5-9461-0efe31c2d568
  10. Transfer from one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer from one hard drive to another?: I had a 120GB SSD and decided, since I'm running low on space, to upgrade to a 480GB SSD. However, I wanted to use the 120GB for something else now (Linux) and then use the 480GB as the main hard drive. That being said, since my Windows 10 OS (and saved files) is on my 120GB...