Windows 10: How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10

Discus and support How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Do you know, with some little setting tweaks you can increase your Internet speed in Windows 10? In this article, we present you with some simple tips... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 25, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10

Do you know, with some little setting tweaks you can increase your Internet speed in Windows 10? In this article, we present you with some simple tips to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10.

Increase upload and download speed in Windows 10

These are the things you can do to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10.

1. Close unnecessary apps and tabs
    2. Disable Metered Connection
    3. Disable Background Apps
    4. Use Wired Connection
    5. Switch to Google or Open DNS.

Let us talk about them in detail.

1] Close unnecessary apps and tabs

How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10 [​IMG]

If you are facing slow download speed, try closing all the applications that can use your Internet. If you don’t know which app is using your Internet, try checking your Data usage.

To do that, launch Settings from the Start Menu and click Network & Internet > Data Usage. Now, select the network that you are connected to from the “Choose a network” section, check which app is unnecessarily using the Internet, and close it.

You should also close unnecessary tabs if you are downloading or uploading something from your browser.

Do these things and check if it increases your download and upload speed.

2] Disable Metered Connection

If you have enabled Metered Connection, try disabling it as it can limit your downloading and uploading capabilities. To do that, follow these steps:

• Launch Settings by Win + I.
    • Click Network & Internet > Properties (of your current Network).
    • Use the toggle to disable Metered Connection.

Now, restart your computer and check if it increases your download and upload speed.

3] Disable Background Apps

There are tons of applications running in the background and using your Internet without you knowing about them. However, you can disable these apps in Windows 10 to get blazing fast downloading and uploading speed.

To do that, follow these steps:

1. Launch Settings
    2. Click Privacy > Background apps.
    3. Now, use the toggle to disable Background Apps.

Now, check if it increases your upload and download speed.

4] Use Wired Connection

If you use Wi-Fi then you can try switching to a wired connection to improve your download and upload speed. Wireless connections are not as reliable as their wired counterpart. Therefore, if you are in dilemma to choose between Ethernet and Wi-Fi, try going for Ethernet if you want extremely lag-free download and upload speed.

5] Switch to Google or Open DNS

One of the things you can do to improve your upload and download speed is to switch to Google or Open DNS. To do that, launch Control Panel from the Start Menu and go to the following location.

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center​

Now, click Wi-Fi from the “Connections” section and click Properties.

Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), tick “Use the following DNS server addresses”, and enter the following DNS address depending on your choice.

For Google DNS-

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4​

For Open DNS-

Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222 and Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220​

Now, retry downloading or uploading, hopefully, your Internet speed will be improved.

Related: Fix slow Internet speed on Windows 10 computer.

This article How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 25, 2021
  2. DonaldW Win User

Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds.

(First post: Win 10 1809) Hello. I have encountered what seems to me to be a strange phenomenon: Recently upgraded to "1000 Mbps" fiber internet provider. Initial speeds for both download and upload speeds spread across the 900's, with upload speeds consistently a bit higher than download speeds. Yesterday one desktop seemed to have internet connectivity issues. I noted that the desktops Ethernet connection had for some reason adopted the name of one of our wireless routers: What had been "Network 2" was now "(SSID) 2".

This Dell XPS desktop (Win 10 Pro 64b, Version 1809) has both wired and wireless network connections, with the later used to connect to various peripherals. When I checked into Speedtest.net, Download speeds remained in the 900's, but upload speeds dropped below 50 Mbps. I went though various network troubleshooting steps and a number of restarts, this disparity persisted. Other than the lack of a name change to wired network connection, this disparity was also obtained on another desktop on the same network. However, speed checks on iOS tablet reveled no disparity whatsoever, suggesting that the phenomenon is limited to Windows machines.

Given my naive and limited understanding of Windows networking, I was hoping someone might help me to better understand the issue and, perhaps, suggest a fix.

DonaldW, Apr 25, 2021
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Apr 25, 2021
  4. Aarvx Win User

Upload speed won't increase since upgrade

Update: This problem got fixed by completely reinstalling windows. If you have similar issues, make sure you have the right LAN drivers installed and there is no software or service running behind that messes with your LAN.

I upgraded my upload speed from 6Mbps to 50Mbps a while ago.

How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10 PmVys.png

I can reach full speeds at any time without any problems on any device (iPhone X, MacBook -> LAN & WLAN), but there seems to be a problem with the upload speed on my PC - and it seems it's just on Windows 10.

I tried a lot of things, but my upload speed won't reach further than 30Mbps. Every other device can easily maintain 50Mbps upload, but my Windows 10 struggles.

As mentioned, this problem only exists on my Windows 10.

I upgraded my LAN drivers and software, looked for services and processes that could manipulate my speeds, changed settings like Large Send Offload and Transmission Buffer Size (doubted that it would help, but just gave it a try). Nothing helped.

Then, I booted up a live version of Debian 9.8, freshly installed via Linux Live USB Creator and made one speed test there -> I got my expected upload speed!

So, after the upload speed on the Linux running on the same PC can reach the full upload speed, it's safe to say that it's a problem with Windows itself and something's causing trouble.

Result on Debian:

How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10 LeAY4.png

I came back to Windows, made some speed tests again, but still I can't reach full upload speeds. It's also weird how it fluctuates. Is that usual?

I have an Asus Z270-A motherboard along with an Intel I219-V.
    The drivers are up to date.

It was even a bit weird at the beginning, where the upload speed upgrade from 6Mbps to 50Mbps was new. I made like 20 speed tests, and Windows 10 increased the upload speed with each 2-3Mbps steps as can be seen on the graph below - it went from 7-8Mbps to a maximum of 30Mbps. Then it stopped increasing.

How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10 UEZOf.png

Side note: I previously had some things installed like cFOS Turbo LAN and stuff, but I removed it. Sadly it didn't help.

Aarvx, Apr 25, 2021
Thema:

1. How to increase upload and download speed in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - increase upload download

2. Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed: Good morning Support Community,Having an odd problem that I haven't found a solution for online so am going to post.I recently upgraded my internet to 5 Gb Fiber connection.When I run speed tests I'm getting ~950 Mb/s Download and 2355 Mb/s Upload on my 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet...
  3. How to increase my download speed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to increase my download speed?: Hello! Lately, my download speed has been much, much slower than usual. I used to have really fast download speeds but what is now supposed to take 60-70 seconds is taking more than an hour. How can I increase my speeds? Thanks....
  4. How to increase my download speed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to increase my download speed?: Hello! Lately, my download speed has been much, much slower than usual. I used to have really fast download speeds but what is now supposed to take 60-70 seconds is taking more than an hour. How can I increase my speeds? Thanks....
  5. How to increase Battle.net download speed in Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase Battle.net download speed in Windows PC: [ATTACH]If you find that your download speeds are slow when playing Battle.net, then this post talks of some methods you can use to increase Battle.net download speed on Windows 11/10 PC and make it faster. Increase Battle.net download speed in Windows PC If you want to...
  6. How to increase Download Speed in Google Chrome on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase Download Speed in Google Chrome on Windows 10: Google Chrome is arguably the most popular browser for Windows users. However, one can not disagree with the fact that it is not the fastest browser in the world. It has fair shares of issues with RAM management and downloading speed. If you are dealing with the RAM issue,...
  7. How to increase download speed on Windows 10 pro 2019

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to increase download speed on Windows 10 pro 2019: I just installed Windows 10pro on a lenovo v130-151GM 4GB 500gb HDD. My download speed is always in kilobytes even after downloading IDM(internet download manager). I've Reset My Windows now so I need help in optimizing my Windows for faster download speeds. submitted by...
  8. How to increase windows 10 speed ??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to increase windows 10 speed ??: I have a HP 15be012tu notebook, purchased 02 years ago. Now in 2019 its getting slow. So how to increase windows 10 laptop speed. My Realme mobile sometimes do the job faster than my HP laptop. Should i upgrade its RAM ???...
  9. Upload speed is greater than Download speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Upload speed is greater than Download speed: Hey guys, If upload speed is greater than Download speed is it okay or I should contact network provider to fix parameters ? [ATTACH] Regards. 120739
  10. Unstable download/upload speed

in Windows 10 Support
    Unstable download/upload speed: Hi Im a livestreamer on Youtube my current speeds are 11,5mb down and 5,5up, im the only one connected to the internet and I always drop a lot of frames (only during the day) when its night like +2am it drops 0 frames and its very stable . heres a picture of a 5,000 bitrate...