Windows 10: How to index files in windows 10

Discus and support How to index files in windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Files are not being displayed when I search for them by name. I have three hard drives. C; for system. E: for photos and data, and G: for more files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarlinGher1, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:42 AM.

1. How to index files in windows 10

Files are not being displayed when I search for them by name. I have three hard drives. C; for system. E: for photos and data, and G: for more files. photos and data. The files are not displayed when searching by name in the search window. If a file is displayed as a searched for item, the open file location does not seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

M. Gher

:)

2. Pavan_N Win User

indexing Publisher files

Hi,

What do you mean when you say 'how can I change Publisher to the other filter ?'

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

4. How to index files in windows 10

Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

Hi Tim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows 10 has a search indexing service that creates as index of all files in your Windows 10 that greatly improves look up speed. We would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to add folders to Indexing Options.

1. Open Indexing Options by searching for it in search bar.
    2. Click on Modify and choose the folders in the
      Change selected locations.
    3. Then click on OK and Windows will immediately start indexing the new folder.

If you still feel that the searching in Windows needs improvement, kindly provide you suggestions and feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or NO.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Thema:

How to index files in windows 10

1. How to index files in windows 10 - Similar Threads - index files

2. File types tab in advanced indexing options not responding

in Windows 10 Support
    File types tab in advanced indexing options not responding: Hi, I'm using Windows 10, version 1909 (compilation: 18363.693) with Polish language interface. When I try to open File types tab in advanced indexing options it doesn't respond, mouse pointer turns into spinning blue circle and nothing happens, the tab does not open....
  3. Has Microsoft removed File Indexing File Contents for OneDrive in the latest release of...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Has Microsoft removed File Indexing File Contents for OneDrive in the latest release of...: The OneDrive location is no longer visible or selectable from within File Indexing options. This seems like a deliberate choice as that folder can be seen by other apps and settings panels. I fear Microsoft has disabled this feature. Am I right?...
  4. File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...: I know that a particular file must be indexed correctly because I can as a test do a File Explorer search of the subfolder it is in, using an unusual name in the file's contents, and I can thereby produce that file name as a search result. So in general terms, indexing must...
  5. My OneDrive files are not indexed

My OneDrive files are not indexed: I have tried to get my OneDrive indexed but Windows can't even find it to manually specify that it should be indexed. Google Drive and Box can be indexed but OneDrive is invisible to all versions of Windows 10 I have worked with for the last two years. That makes OneDrive...
  6. Windows Search / File Indexing problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Search / File Indexing problems: It's been a while since I've been on TenForums. So, I built my system originally in 2012 on an already semi-old MSI board with an AMD Athlon II x4 and 8GB of RAM. As time has progressed, the OS has been upgraded from Windows 7, to 8, to 8.1, to 10, and the system has...
  7. Windows 10 not indexing offline files

in Cortana
    Windows 10 not indexing offline files: Had to replace previous W10 laptop. Set up mapped drives, got the files offline, but indexing does not show the drives in order to create a local index. Of course I searched and lots of other people with the same problem and no solution up through 2018...
  8. Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties changing check...

in Cortana
    Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties changing check...: I have been having issues with search since last fall. I have worked with several IT folks affiliated with Microsoft, but no one has fixed it. They just chose to turn off indexing. So this is what I found.... Following some online recommendations, I opened up the data...
  9. Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10: Because Microsoft Photos App Image Viewer will open images sorted by "height" I am using it to evaluate many thousands of .jpg and .png image files as to whether I want to keep them or delete them. Normally I would "tag" the files I want to keep then delete the other,...
  10. Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice?

Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice?: I recently installed Outlook, added a new hard disk for my data files and then moved the data files from the original drive of install onto the new disk (D:) into the Users subdirectory … all good so far. My next brain wave was to ensure that the new Users directory was...