Windows 10: How to initialize second drive without formatting it?

Discus and support How to initialize second drive without formatting it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On Windows 10 Home: I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dust10, Nov 25, 2020.

1. dust10 Win User

How to initialize second drive without formatting it?

On Windows 10 Home:

I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my knew desktop. Adding a new drive was easy using disk management which you just had to format the new drive to get it initialized, but for this particular drive I want to initialize it without having to format it. The problem then is when I plug it in the new desktop it will ask me to format it which I don't want to do. Is there a way to initialize the second drive without having to format it?

Cheers!

:)

dust10, Nov 25, 2020
  2. dust10 Win User

On Windows 10 Home:

I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my knew desktop. Adding a new drive was easy using disk management which you just had to format the new drive to get it initialized, but for this particular drive I want to initialize it without having to format it. The problem then is when I plug it in the new desktop it will ask me to format it which I don't want to do. Is there a way to initialize the second drive without having to format it?

Cheers!

dust10, Nov 26, 2020
  3. syntoh Win User

Windows says, the drive needs to be formatted.
    This means, the Bios recognised the drive, Diskmanager knows the drive,
    but Windows don't recognise the Partition and/or the Filesystem.

In such a case "Testdisk" would be your friend.

syntoh, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

1. How to initialize second drive without formatting it? - Similar Threads - initialize second drive

2. Initializing a hard drive taht has been formatted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Initializing a hard drive taht has been formatted: I have a 3.5" hard drive that I have formatted using a Sata-USB adapter with power. It took about an hour and a half. When formatting was completed the PC showed this message. When I want to use this hard drive in another PC for extra storage how do I initialize it...
  3. How to initialize second drive without formatting it?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to initialize second drive without formatting it?: On Windows 10 Home: I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my knew desktop. Adding a new drive was easy using disk management which you just had to format the new drive to get it...
  4. How to initialize an old drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to initialize an old drive?: I found an old hard drive and I wanted to format / wipe it but I plugged it in, went to disc management and tried to format it, but the option is gray. Disc management says its online but i still can't do anything. Also if this issue doesnt fit the subreddit, kindly link a...
  5. Installing second hard drive without formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing second hard drive without formatting: First of all do not try this unless you are willing to loose all your data PERIOD!. Purchase a 2TB or 4TB external HDD USB 3.0 and back all your stuff up. I have an 8 year old laptop. When it was new Dell site had 14+ drivers for this system available for download. I...
  6. can you download windows 10 on your second hard drive without formatting it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can you download windows 10 on your second hard drive without formatting it?: hi guys, I have 2 storage spaces,1 my C drive SSD where I have windows installed and the 2 is a 2t hard drive. I want to know if I can download windows 10 from the C drive to the 2T hard drive without formatting it. submitted by /u/deusMPkiller [link] [comments]...
  7. Initializing and Formatting new Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Initializing and Formatting new Hard drive: I got a new Internal Hard drive for my computer a WD Blue 1TB PC HArd drive 7200 RPM. My problem is when formatting or initializing something went wrong and I am now unable to initialize the disk and When I try to it gives a Data error cyclic redundancy check. Any help would...
  8. How to partition C drive in Windows 10 without formatting

in Windows 10 News
    How to partition C drive in Windows 10 without formatting: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]I have seen a couple of computers where the Primary partition – C Drive, has extra storage space. Some computers do not have partition at all, while some have a smaller partition. Since it is not possible to delete C [...] This post How to partition C drive...
  9. How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid: I came across the following article about mirroring the O/S drive. https://www.wintips.org/how-to-mirror-boot-hard-drive-on-windows-10-legacy-or-uefi/#case-a However i recently upgraded my 500GB HDD with a 500GB SSD drive as my MBR C drive. Will I be able to apply...
  10. Trying to initialize a second hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trying to initialize a second hard drive: I nuked a hardrive I had from before and put it into my PC. My PC sees all the information but when I try to initialize disk I get the error message: Disk Management The opertaion failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the...