Windows 10: How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?

Discus and support How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an UEFI-based ISO file for a tool on windows (This tool is NOT a WinOS but a separate utility tool). If I burn this ISO onto a DVD and boot it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pstein, Sep 26, 2020.

1. pstein Win User

How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?

I have an UEFI-based ISO file for a tool on windows (This tool is NOT a WinOS but a separate utility tool).
    If I burn this ISO onto a DVD and boot it on an UEFI computer (without Secure Boot) everything works.

However If I put this ISO with e.g. Rufus onto an USB flash drive then the USB flash drive does not boot and show an error message:

"Could not locate 'EFI\boot\bootx64.efi': Not found

Yes, the file and the directory is missing.

After a long search I found a hint:
    Surprisingly a DVD-bootable ISO is NOT automatically bootable from USB flash drive due to different handling of Bootmanager.

Interesting. I have not expected that.

Now my problem is:

Can I convert this only-on-DVD-bootable ISO to a bootable-from-USB-flash-drive ISO?

Alternatively it would be acceptable to create at first an UEFI-bootable USB flash drive and extract (which?) tool files out of the ISO onto this USB flash drive. I guess I have to declare (where?) what program should be started during USB flash drive boot.

Any suggestions?

E.g.Ventoy does not help.

It must be a solution which prepares the USB flash drive for simple UEFI boot and let me add (before or afterwards) an additional tool.

Peter

:)

pstein, Sep 26, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

How To Burn Win10 ISO as UEFI?

A DVD burned from the ISO file is UEFI compatible - it will both boot in UEFI mode and capable of installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode. No bootable USB flash drive is required.

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2020
  3. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Sep 26, 2020
  4. How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?

Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

Tried the first program, but it fails .. not sure yet why but troubleshooting that ...

The pendrive seems to be only for linux? although seems very useful i dont think it will help me with this. Keeping it for future linux installs though

hmmm if I already have the iso, do I just throw that in the usb drive?

ok looking into this as well...

copenhagen69, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?

1. How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash? - Similar Threads - install UEFI based

2. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI: Hi there there's definitely a problem on some older computers with UEFI boot if the iso file is > than 4.5 GB. Up to that the file system is FAT32 and computers will boot OK. If greater than that then NTFS appears to be forced and some computers won't boot . I think the...
  6. How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick

How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick: I had a legacy bootiso file (i think Linux based) which i made uefi bootable on a flash drive using Rufus. Now i am looking for a way to save this uefi bootable flas drive as a (uefi) bootable iso for archiving or to use with other programs like ventoy. It is NOT a windows...
  7. How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick: I had a legacy bootiso file (i think Linux based) which i made uefi bootable on a flash drive using Rufus. Now i am looking for a way to save this uefi bootable flas drive as a (uefi) bootable iso for archiving or to use with other programs like ventoy. It is NOT a windows...
  8. Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO: I am in need of creating a bootable DVD, whenever I put my DVD on the tray and enter it into the computer, I am greeted with a popup asking me which way I want to use this disc, 'Like a USB flash drive' or 'With a CD/DVD player'. I am trying to dual boot Linux and Windows...
  9. How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD

How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD: Hi my bootable DVD's, including my W7 and W8 installl disks and my Hirem boot disk do not boot up in my new PC which has a UEFI, no legacy option. The setup is to boot to the DVD drive first but it does not happen. I believe there is a technique for W7 but it seems...
  10. Make win 10 .iso file bootable DVD or USB

Make win 10 .iso file bootable DVD or USB: I would like to do a clean install I have downloaded windows10 .iso free version file from creation tool to DVD is the file bootable. If not how do I make a bootable DVD or USB from the downloaded. Appreciate help.. Regards 25364