Windows 10: How to install default bootloader

Discus and support How to install default bootloader in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently had a problem in Win 10. Via "msconfig", restarted my pc in safe mode. Once booted up, and @ the login screen, Windows requested my pin,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rwbishop, Dec 19, 2020.

1. rwbishop Win User

How to install default bootloader

I recently had a problem in Win 10. Via "msconfig", restarted my pc in safe mode. Once booted up, and @ the login screen, Windows requested my pin, when I attempted to enter my pin. I was given the msg, "can't access your security pin currently". Tried a few different ways to login, was unable. So restarted, entered Win recovery mode using an install FD. I did the basics using cmd, nothing worked. Anyhow, got pissed, nixed the boot partition. Used a startup FD I had made using a third party tool. Once logged in, repartitioned my disk into two partitions. The majority is my Win 10 install, and a 15mb partition that is empty and formatted as NTFS. EFI sucks, one of the worst implementations ever.

So, Windows 10 is operating fine, but. I am having to boot from USB because, I assume I have no boot partition. I haven't worked with boot tools since early Win 7, and I had always had legacy boot types. So I need to know, how I can rebuild or place a boot partition, MBR or whatever it's referred to as, directly onto my drive. So I don't have to use the USB boot tool. I know I'm probably not referring to the correct names, I'm sorry. I just really need help, because I can't find the right answer, just searching through forum posts. Thanks for any help

:)

rwbishop, Dec 19, 2020

2. How to make Windows 10 bootloader As default bootloader

If you're using UEFI, you might have to use that to edit.
    Modified from here:
    How to set Windows bootloader as default bootloader?
    To repair your Windows bootloader, if you have a Windows CD

1. Boot from CD
    2. From title screen, open terminal (the button is usually in bottom left corner)
    3. Execute bootrec /fixmbr

If this doesn't give desired results, try bootrec /fixboot

Allan Smithee, Dec 19, 2020
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done How to install default bootloader :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Dec 19, 2020
  4. How to install default bootloader

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

How to install default bootloader

1. How to install default bootloader - Similar Threads - install default bootloader

2. bootloader repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bootloader repair: i have problem with windows bootloader since i installed it on external linux drive. I want to run the startup repair tool, but I need to sign in to my Microsoft account to proceed. when he enters his password, he tells me that it is incorrect, and it is correct because I can...
  3. Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader: Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it affected my bootloader . Without doing a clean install is there a way to restore the bootloader which is relatively...
  4. Clover Bootloader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clover Bootloader: Hiya, I am going to install clover bootloader whilst clean installing windows 10 for BIOS UEFI (but the BIOS UEFI are 32-Bit). So after I have set up the partitions (shift + F10 before installing windows) from command prompt - please note the automatic set up of partitions...
  5. Bootloader for 2 installations of windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bootloader for 2 installations of windows 10?: I have 2 hard drives each with their own installation of windows 10. Is there a bootloader anyone can suggest that can allow me to easily choose which windows 10 installation I want to boot into at startup? submitted by /u/BerryTheBlyatapus [link] [comments]...
  6. How to repair the bootloader

How to repair the bootloader: After running dual booting Pop!OS, I decide that it wasn't for me. I removed the partitions that it was installed on (windows is still there), and after rebooting, it's stuck in grub rescue. I used my windows USB to try automatic repair, nothing. In cmd I ran bootrec...
  7. How to Remove Grub Bootloader

How to Remove Grub Bootloader: I can't figure out how to remove Grub from my Windows installation. I at one time had a dual boot with Ubuntu but have since completely removed BOTH OS's and started over. I just updated Windows, and to my surprise the first boot screen I encountered was Grub. I tried...
  8. Metro Bootloader

Metro Bootloader: I just did a dual boot with windows 10 and windows 7 and all I get is the black and white bootloader. Before I partitioned my drive and installed windows 7 I had the Metro bootloader with my windows 10 and Macrium Reflect but after installing windows 7 on the new partition...
  9. How to reinstall the Windows 10 bootloader?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reinstall the Windows 10 bootloader?: I messed up and apparently my Windows 10 bootloader has been deleted. Any way to reinstall it? Start up repair and bootrec commands didn't do anything, I tried. I just want to reinstall the bootloader without having to tamper with my Windows installation. 131287
  10. Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD

Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD: I have Dell Inspiron 7566 with built-in Toshiba HDD which had three partitions: C:/ for Windows 10 , U:/ for Ubuntu 18.04 and D:/ for other stuff. Ubuntu was installed in UEFI mode and on every boot computer loaded to GRUB and asked which system it should start. Recently I...