Windows 10: how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr

Discus and support how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i have managed to install windows 10 64 bit using System Image Manager and unattended xml file. however i need to install drivers through this setup as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sandeepshekar, Jul 3, 2020.

1. how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr

i have managed to install windows 10 64 bit using System Image Manager and unattended xml file. however i need to install drivers through this setup as i dont want to do any manual work. i read from Microsoft that you can use USB device as distribution share.
    is there a tutorial like Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 which gives step by step process of achieving this.

i am new to this and need info from basics.

:)

sandeepshekar, Jul 3, 2020
  2. nmein Win User

Creating autounattend.xml results in Windows Image Error

Hey,
    I have created a autounattend.xml file using the Windows System Image Manager. When validating, everything comes back clean. However, when deploying it ends up failing with the message in the second set
    I am deploying using this method to an Intel Compute Stick:
    • Use Rufus to "install" Windows iso to a Bootable USB drive.
    • Drop autounattend.xml into the root of the USB drive
    • Boot USB device, let the software do it's thing.
    What actually happens:
    • Use Rufus to "install" Windows iso to a Bootable USB drive.
    • Drop autounattend.xml into the root of the USB drive
    • After a few minutes, Windows Setup complains: "Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [D:\Sources\] does not exist

A few things about this:
    • I never specify D:\Sources anywhere in my autounattend.xml
    • Auto

I was not planning on doing this with Sysprep, I was planning on dropping the autounattend.xml file directly on to the root of the USB drive and let it install the image automatically rather than booting through WDS or something similar.

I have been reading Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums in case sysprep is the absolutely best way though.

nmein, Jul 3, 2020
  3. AutoUnattend.xml Partitioning Failure

Vincint, I had a couple more thoughts on this topic.

First, you may want to take a look at the excellent tutorial from Kari located here:

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Note that this tutorial assumes that you will create a sysprep image. If you want to do an unattended installation with only an autounattend.xml answer file do this:

Follow all the steps up through section 3.18 of the tutorial. Then skip to section 4. In section 4, rather than creating a new answer file called unattend.xml, continue adding the settings listed here to the autounattend.xml answer that you have already created with the following exceptions:

In step 4.3, omit the "CopyProfile" setting (leave it alone and don't modify it at all).

In step 4.4, if you specify the use of a logo file, you will need to copy it to C:\Windows\System32\oemlogo.bmp manually after installation of Windows.

Continue through step 4.8.

Once done, jump back to step 3.19 to finalize your answer file. If you want to automate your first time logon as noted below, follow those steps from below before you finalize the answer file.

* Optional - Automate the First-Time Logon Setup *

NOTE: Add these settings to the autounattend.xml answer file if you are creating only an autounattend.xml answer file and not creating a sysprep image. If you are creating a sysprep image (and thus, a second answer file named unattend.xml), then add these settings to the unattend.xml answer file instead.

Using the steps up until this point, Windows installation will proceed to the point where you logon for the first time. During that first logon it takes another couple of minutes for setup to complete because you get the screens that say things like "Hi", "We're setting everything up for you", "This may take a few minutes", "Almost done", etc.

If you want to automate this then you can add a onetime autologon by making the following additions to your answer file, otherwise just finalize the answer file at this time.

From the Windows Image pane in Windows System Image Manager, expand Shell-Setup. Add both AutoLogon and FirstLogonCommands to Pass 7 oobe System. Select Shell-Setup > AutoLogon in the Answer File pane and set the following values:

Enabled: true
    LogonCount: 1
    Username: <Use an admin username you created>

Expand AutoLogon and select Password

Set "Value" to the password for the username you just specified.

Notes:

1) There seems to be a problem with this field accepting a blank password. To work around this, enter anything in the Value field, making sure to hit Enter afterward. Then clear the password and again hit Enter. The Password block in the Answer File pane should turn dark to indicate that a change has been made.

2) If you are going to change the password from an existing answer file, you may have to delete the whole Shell-Setup > UserAccounts section and recreate it. Do the same for the Shell-Setup > AutoLogon block.

Right click on FirstLogonCommands in the Answer File pane and select Insert New SynchronousCommand.

Select SynchronousCommand add set the following values (Note that the “reg add” entry is a long line and will wrap below):

CommandLine: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoLogonCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    Order: 1

NOTE: The entry you just made adds a registry entry because of a bug with how AutoLogon is handled. AutoLogon erroneously adds 1 to LogonCount value. As a result, you have to subtract 1 from the number of times you want it to logon. To logon once, you have to make the LogonCount 0. Unfortunately, Windows properly understands a LogonCount of 0 as meaning Never AutoLogon. To correct this, we must make the LogonCount 1 and use the registry entry to correct for this problem.

Note: If you are creating a sysprep image, this will also affect your Reference system. At the point where you have completed creating the image file on the Reference system and you reboot normally, the reference system will logon and complete the setup. This is okay and expected behavior.

* End of Optional Procedure to Automate the First Time Logon Setup *

hsehestedt, Jul 3, 2020
  4. Laurijan Win User

how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr

GFX driver install in Ubuntu, how?

Hi!

I decided to try to start using Ubuntu 64x on my main rig and its so different from using Windows that I have problems installing my grafics card driver.

The 3 drivers Ubuntu suggests in System/Administration/Hardware Drivers for my Nvidia Quadro NVS285 all lock up the system after installing and so I also tried to install the latest driver from Nvidia itself for my card.

Now I have a .run driver file that I don't know how to install since from what I have read so far on the internet I only got more confused.

Thx for advice!

Lauri

Laurijan, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr

1. how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr - Similar Threads - install drivers through

2. battery missing from D Mgr

in Windows 10 Gaming
    battery missing from D Mgr: Follow online instruction to reinstalll battery icon but battery not showing in Device Manager.How to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-missing-from-d-mgr/f17cb284-2316-4e4a-b789-cf4c02c0e7e9
  3. Can't install Windows 11 through setup.exe from a ISO image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install Windows 11 through setup.exe from a ISO image: I'm having issues trying to install Windows 11 on my computer. The problem? I open the "setup.exe" file, my PC start working, then nothing happens.I downloaded the ISO image from Windows 11 official site, mounted on, run "setup.exe" and nothing. Also tried running as...
  4. Creating autounattend

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating autounattend: Hi all, i have this issue while trying to install win 10 on my elitepad tablet. It boots up but i am unable to touch anything. Because usb hub cost stupid +200$ i though of creating unattend.xml file. But to my surprise it dont work. Does anyone of you have tips or...
  5. Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem: Hi guys, I have a problem with autounattend XML install. Basically, I have a Windows image that is downloaded from MS and edited to skip all steps for setup. The windows boots and wipe the hard drive created partitions, select language, and created one admin account with the...
  6. Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem: Hi guys, I have a problem with autounattend XML install. Basically, I have a Windows image that is downloaded from MS and edited to skip all steps for setup. The windows boots and wipe the hard drive created partitions, select language, and created one admin account with the...
  7. Autounattend help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Autounattend help: Hi! I'm trying to use the autounattend.xml file for the first time and I have some questions about it. The first question is why the privacy settings appear twice (it appears before login with the created user, and after logon with that user). The second question is why my...
  8. how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to install drivers through autounattend.xml from System Image Mgr: i have managed to install windows 10 64 bit using System Image Manager and unattended xml file. however i need to install drivers through this setup as i don't want to do any manual work. i read from Microsoft that you can use USB device as distribution share. can i get a...
  9. stopcode FLT MGR FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    stopcode FLT MGR FILE SYSTEM: Whilst working I suddenly received a blue screen saying Windows has a fault and quotes this "stopcode FLT MGR FILE SYSTEM" The laptop re-boots then I can carry on working. This happens about once a week at random times. Help! I am not tech savvy. Win 10 pro upgraded from...
  10. How to run Macrium imaging XML maximised?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to run Macrium imaging XML maximised?: I use a .XML to run my Macrium imaging. When it runs, its minimised, and I have to right-click on the Macrium task in the taskbar, and then select Show in order to have the XML running maximised. I couldn't find any settings when building the XML to have it run maximised by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. autounattend.xml drivers

2. Drivers and AutoUnattend.xml from the iMac_Late_2009