Windows 10: How to Install or Add a Local Printer in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Install or Add a Local Printer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]There might be multiple benefits of the wireless or network printer over the wired printer but if we talk about security, the wired printer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 4, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Install or Add a Local Printer in Windows 10

WinClub, Aug 4, 2020
  2. Boatvan Win User

Windows 10 GPO Printer Add issues

A total shot in the dark since this is a very specific issue to our environment, but here it goes...

A little background on this issue, my school district is moving to windows 10. We partially deployed Windows 10 LTSB to some of the labs in the district. We are seeing sporadic issues with our Group Policies deploying printers. We have below 50% success rate with printers actually installing on the Windows 10 client machines.

Thinking it was an issue with LTSB, we downloaded and installed Windows 10 Education version 1709 on a test VM and joined it to the domain. I then applied GPO’s from 4 different servers. 3 Physical Server 2012 R2 servers and the original problem Server 2012 R2 VM Server.

What I found was the same inconsistency after rebooting the Win 10 Edu Test VM. I am getting the same Event 513. See below:

How to Install or Add a Local Printer in Windows 10 print.png

I am 100% sure the naming is right because I can manually add the same printer using the \\SERVER\FerLib path. All printers that fail to add have the Event 513. I am also going to post this on other forums.

We are only seeing this on student accounts which are domain guest accounts, meaning their profiles are non-permanent. We do not have the option to turn them into regular users per district policy. If you need more info that I omitted please let me know. We are getting desperate.

Thanks!

Boatvan, Aug 4, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Printer Software & Win 10

The driver for printers that work in Windows 8/8.1 should work in Windows 10. Actually you don't even need to run the setup from the vendor software disk which most of the times they add extra junks to the package. Here's how to add a printer:
    1. Control Panel->Devices and Printers->Add a printer
    2. Windows will automatically search for your printer & Model
    3. If it does not find it, click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"
    4. On next screen, select the appropriate choice ie. Local Printer/Network Printer etc...
    5. Click Next->Next. You'll get a list of printers to choose from.
    6. If still not on the list. Click Windows Update and wait for an update list. Your printer should be listed
    7. Hi lite it and click next to install the driver.

NOTE: Install the driver this way will ensure that it works with Windows 10 and it is up-to-date.

topgundcp, Aug 4, 2020
  4. How to Install or Add a Local Printer in Windows 10

printer wont add to laptop

Hi Harry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please provide more information to help you better:

• What is the make and model of your printer?

• What is the exact error message that you receive?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

As an initial step, I suggest you to run the troubleshooter for Printer and see if it brings any difference.

Run troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

Method 2:

I also suggest you to Remove printer driver and verify the result.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons which are related to the Printer, and delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Then reinstall the driver. After that, follow the steps below. You may add a shared printer and verify the result.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.

2. On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

3. Select "Add a local printer".

4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\ [The Share Name of the printer]

then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, when you are prompt to choose a correct driver; click the button "Have Disk".

7. Browse to the .in file. Click OK.

8. Wait for the process finishes.

Method 3:

It's a good idea to test your network to make sure that all of the computers and devices are connected and working properly. To test your network, do the following on each network computer:

• Click the Start button, click your user name, and then, in the left pane, click Network.

You should be able to see icons for the computer you are on and all of the other computers and shared printers on the network.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

How to Install or Add a Local Printer in Windows 10

1. How to Install or Add a Local Printer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Install Add Local

2. No longer able to add a local printer via "add device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer able to add a local printer via "add device": Hi,Normally I connect printers to my computer via IP. My printers never show up in the device search, I've always just clicked the "the printer I want isn't listed" when the search comes up dry and then it lets me add by IP normally. However, this button seems to be missing...
  3. No longer able to add a local printer via "add device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No longer able to add a local printer via "add device": Hi,Normally I connect printers to my computer via IP. My printers never show up in the device search, I've always just clicked the "the printer I want isn't listed" when the search comes up dry and then it lets me add by IP normally. However, this button seems to be missing...
  4. No longer able to add a local printer via "add device"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. how to add my printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to add my printer: I keep trying to add my printer that was hooked up before I got a different internet provider now it tells me it is offline https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-my-printer/166fbfb8-3ab9-40dc-aede-723df11dfd13
  6. how to add my printer

how to add my printer: I keep trying to add my printer that was hooked up before I got a different internet provider now it tells me it is offline https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-my-printer/166fbfb8-3ab9-40dc-aede-723df11dfd13
  7. How to Add a local printer to my Rdp?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Add a local printer to my Rdp?: I have windows server 2019 RDP and i want to connect my local canon multifunction printer to the RDP session and print Invoices with QuickBooks Software? How can i do this?...
  8. How to Add a local printer to my Rdp?

How to Add a local printer to my Rdp?: I have windows server 2019 RDP and i want to connect my local canon multifunction printer to the RDP session and print Invoices with QuickBooks Software? How can i do this?...
  9. How to Add a local printer to my Rdp?

10. How to add printer problem

How to add printer problem: I received a printer from someone that I am trying to wirelessly add to network but it doesn't show up on the available list of things I can add, even when I try and refresh the list. So what is the next step?...