Windows 10: How to install PCIE SATA 3 board

Discus and support How to install PCIE SATA 3 board in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, First post. I'm trying to install a Sedna SE-PCIE-SATA6G-02, PCIE SATA III 2-port adapter into my computer but it doesn't seem to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wilade, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Wilade Win User

How to install PCIE SATA 3 board

Hello all,
    First post. I'm trying to install a Sedna SE-PCIE-SATA6G-02, PCIE SATA III 2-port adapter into my computer but it doesn't seem to be recognized by Windows 10.

I've recently added an SSD drive to my system and had to load the AHCI driver by booting into safe mode to do so. I'm wondering if I need to do something similar with this. I have run the setup program from the enclosed CD without any luck, and checked that it is the same version as is on the Sedna website. The card/controller does not show up in Device Manager.

I am not running a RAID configuration and I will not be booting from this add-in card. I just want a faster connection for my external hard drive to do back-ups which I connect via an ESATA connection. So far I only have the single SSD and one CD/DVD drive connected to my system.

My system is an MSI K9A2 Platinum V1.0, with an AND Phenom II X4 965 quad processor with 8-GB of ddr3 RAM, and a GTX 780 Ti video card.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Len

:)

Wilade, Feb 27, 2016
  2. Thanatica Win User

Windows 10 upgrade doesn't work

How do I install Windows 7 on a system where it doesn't recognize the PCIe SSD, nor the USB devices, nor any of the SATA devices?

Like I said, Windows 7 does NOT run on this pc. How do I make it work then?

Thanatica, Feb 27, 2016
  3. Ram_0126 Win User
    Windows 10 on server hardware machine

Is Windows 10 can be installed on a server hardware machine? What are the limitation using this OS as compared to windows server OS? What can you recommend?

Here is the sample specification

PowerEdge R330 Server PowerEdge R330 Motherboard,v2 Ex-factory Delivery Chassis with up to 4, 3.5" Hot Plug Hard Drives Bezel up to 8 Drive Chassis PCIe Riser, 1x16 PCIe Gen3 FH slot (x8 PCIe lanes) & 1x8 PCIe Gen3 LP slot (x4 PCIe lanes), R330 PowerEdge
    R330 Shipping (APCC) 2133MT/s UDIMMs Performance Optimized 8GB UDIMM, 2133MT/s, ECC Cooling Fan Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 3.0GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T, turbo (80W) iDRAC8, Basic 2 x 250GB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gbps 2.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive, 3.5in HYB CARR PERC H330 RAID
    Controller Performance BIOS Settings Standard Heat Sink for PE R230/R330 DVD+/-RW SATA Internal Dual Hot Plug Power Supplies 350W PE Server FIPS TPM 1.2v2 CC 2 x Long Jumper Cord, C13-C14,4m,12a (APCC except ANZ) On-Board LOM 1GBE Dual Port (BCM5720 GbE LOM)

Ram_0126, Feb 27, 2016
  4. Wilade Win User

Some further info...

While the adapter doesn't show up in Device Manager I used HWiNFO64 and can see its properties. So I THINK it may operate if I can just figure out how to properly load the drivers for it.

Thanks again for any help.

Len

Wilade, Feb 28, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    In Device Manager, right click on your computer name at the very top of the list of hardware. Select Add Legacy Hardware. Click Next. Check the circle for Install the hardware that I manually select, click next then next again, click Have Disk, browse to the .inf file in the drivers for the card - you might have to extract the drivers first and search for .inf files. Select the proper hardware that should show up in the hardware list.

NavyLCDR, Feb 28, 2016
  6. Wilade Win User
    I just tried your suggestion but I still can't see the device. I've attached screen shots of what I'm seeing in HWiNFO for reference.

How to install PCIE SATA 3 board [​IMG]

How to install PCIE SATA 3 board [​IMG]

I discovered last night that the installer seemed to have an error and was not copying the files from the CD to the place the installer was looking for them at. I copied the files manually and restarted the process. No error, but it still doesn't work or show up in Device Manager.

Wilade, Feb 29, 2016
  7. Wilade Win User
    Success! Although I still need to determine why.

Last night I switched the card to my other open PCIE slot AND had my external hard drive connected and turned on. When I boot the computer I could immediately see it on the initial POST screen and I was able to see the drive in explorer. I still cannot, however, see the card or the connected hard drive in Device Manager.

I ran a quick test in HD Test and was getting transfer speeds in the range of 120 MB/s. It seems what I thought was a SATA III hard drive was only SATA II.

I'll investigate further tonight.

Thanks again for you help.

Len

Wilade, Mar 1, 2016
  8. robgr Win User

Are you using a SATA 3 cable?

robgr, Mar 1, 2016
  9. Wilade Win User
    I'm not sure. The internal one came with the case when I built the computer 6-7 years ago, and the external one came with the hard drive enclosure I got last year. I know the internal one does have a locking clip, if that is any indicator.

Len

Wilade, Mar 1, 2016
  10. robgr Win User
    Yes it is, SATA 3 cables are often red in colour and do have a clip as you say

robgr, Mar 1, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 1, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, important for one thing - don't pay extra just because the seller is trying to pass off a "SATA III" cable as something special How to install PCIE SATA 3 board :), if they are then you probably want to find a more reputable seller.

NavyLCDR, Mar 1, 2016
  13. Clintlgm Win User

Not sure of the card you purchased, the one I have will show up in the BIOS/UEFI Boot with a suggestion that pressing the M key will allow editing setting up a raid etc.
    Using this card in windows 8.1 I was required to install a Driver, In Windows 10 the card was automatically recognized. It sounds like the first PCI slot you used has an issue? Transfer speed through SATA III of 120 MB/S is normal depending on the Chipset of the external Case and the hard drive itself. I get slightly faster transfer speeds with Fantom Case and WD Black hard drives 130 MB/s and slightly less with the same case and hard drive USB 3.0 mode. I stick with the eSATA as it is more reliable than USB 3.0

Clintlgm, Mar 1, 2016
  14. Wilade Win User
    I putzed around with a little last night and it seems that it requires an active data connection to work. I turned off my external drive and rebooted the computer and it stopped working after boot-up, nor did it reconnect after I restarted the external drive. Doesn't seem like the proper operation for an ESATA board.

When it IS working I still cannot identify it in Device Manager so I'm not sure even what drivers are being used to try something else.

Hopefully I will have more time tonight to try other solutions. I did connect my SSD drive to it last night and it booted fine. A quick test with HD Tune didn't show anything spectacular though. If I remember correctly the peak transfer speed was around 280-300 MB/s. Far below the theoretical top of 750 MB/s.

I'm not giving up yet. Just need time to explore the possibilities.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Len

Wilade, Mar 2, 2016
  15. Wilade Win User
    Update.

I have removed the card and returned it to Newegg. After connecting my other SSD to the controller it would hard lock my system when transferring files. It even happened doing a test with HD Tune and locked up within 20-seconds.

I have a new 4-port unit from a different manufacturer on the way.

Thank you to all for your help and suggestions.

Len

Wilade, Mar 6, 2016
Thema:

1. How to install PCIE SATA 3 board - Similar Threads - install PCIE SATA

2. Bsods on syba 40062 pcie card sata III

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bsods on syba 40062 pcie card sata III: I had to install the OS first on native sata ports and then I inserted the pcie card which gives me frequent crashes and does not boot with inaccessible boot device error.I managed to get it started, but every time I have to do a clean install it are problems. In device...
  3. PCIe SATA advice required please

PCIe SATA advice required please: I've hit the limit of 6TB drives with my motherboard although no mention of it in the manual and zero response from the manufacturer. So I need a PCIe card which will enable a couple of SATA 8TB drives - no RAID. Have tried one today and apparently that had a 4TB limit...
  4. sata power and sata 3

sata power and sata 3: i looked on amazon and i couldn't find a good sata 3 to usb 3 and a sata power that would fit with the sata 3. Does anybody have a link to what im looking for? Sata 3 2.5 inches. https://imgur.com/5DFguai...
  5. USB 3 PCIE Card issue

USB 3 PCIE Card issue: Reasus PCIE card installed and does work, but everytime i switch off my pc for a day or two and boot up my card does not get recognised and i have to reboot several times before it works. Trouble is my mouse and keyboard cannot function until this comes active? Anyone have a...
  6. Looking for PCIe to SATA 3 Add-in-card

Looking for PCIe to SATA 3 Add-in-card: I'm looking for a PCIe to SATA 3 add in card that actually works at X4 rates, that is, it must use all four lanes on the PCIe bus. The card can either provide sata connectors or permit insertion of a 2.5" SATA 3 SSD onto the card. Examples of the types of cards that would...
  7. usb 3 board

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb 3 board: just installed a new usb 3 board, but PC cannot find or recognize it. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3-board/e0a97612-4258-4aa9-97e2-7240772ca3eb
  8. 3 different SATA controllers on my m/board. How do I ...

3 different SATA controllers on my m/board. How do I ...: I have an old ASUS P9 motherboard (which I may need to replace soon.) The ASUS manual lists 8 SATA ports. 6 with an Intel controller, and 2 with a Marvell controller which is for data drives only. I think I know my own system, and there are no ports beyond the ones on the...
  9. USB 3 PCI Express Board

USB 3 PCI Express Board: I fitted a USB 3 PCI Express Board and kept getting a code 43 tried every thing and finally returned it, and the supplier sent me a second PCI board which doesn't give a code 43 and when I check it out on Device Manager it says that iI have the most up to date drivers and the...
  10. Migrating Windows 10 on SATA SSD to PCIe SSD that requires drivers be installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows 10 on SATA SSD to PCIe SSD that requires drivers be installed: Hi, I have a Windows 10 installation in which the current boot drive, a SATA SSD, is almost completely filled. I have an older OCZ Revo 3 x 2 PCIe SSD disk drive that is larger and to which I would like to migrate the current installation of Windows 10 to. The OCZ drive...