Windows 10: How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt?

Discus and support How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So often times I come across an issue where when I install software on a standard user account using admin credentials on UAC prompt it will not show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jackin, Sep 16, 2020.

1. jackin Win User

How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt?

So often times I come across an issue where when I install software on a standard user account using admin credentials on UAC prompt it will not show up for a standard user. But when I log in as admin it shows up on admin account,however, this is not desired.

Excerpt from

https://help.plangrid.com/hc/en-us/...r-Account-Control-Administrator-Installations

"UAC manages what happens when you run a process as administrator. If the user is logged in to a ‘standard’ account, UAC will display a prompt that allows them to switch to an administrator account. When this happens, the installer is no longer executing as the logged-in user it is running as the administrator. This means that all the user file paths & etc are pointing to the administrator account and not the logged-in user. The installed files will be placed in the administrator’s account and won’t be accessible to the logged-in user."

This behavior of Windows does not work well for us. All users have standard Windows account,no permission to install software. How can I install software using admin credentials on UAC prompt and software be still available on standard user account?

:)

jackin, Sep 16, 2020

2. Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials?

I just installed Windows 10 and my local user account is a Local Admin Account.

However, under Local Security Policy settings, I set the UAC Prompt to Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop (for Admin accounts). Can I also use this account to browse the web, check email even If the UAC is set to Prompt for Credentials? Or, would it be more secure if I create another local account which would be a Standard User Account?

Can malware still cause damage even if the UAC is set to Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop for the local Admin Account?

I am the only one using the computer.

win10freak, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Was not prompted for admin password during install (Standard user)

I just installed an update for the Vypr VPN software. I am a Standard user, but there was no prompt to enter admin credentials to proceed with the install. I verified that I am a standard user in settings. I installed another program just 5 minutes before
    this one that DID ask for the password. This concerns me. What should I do?

WayneB2001, Sep 16, 2020
  4. How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt?

Changing the UAC Setting Prompt for Built-In Admin account?

Thanks! Appreciate the support and detailed explanation.

However, slightly off topic here, but what about setup programs that a user can just change to their User Profile instead of a System folder like the Program Files folder? If a Standard User installs an app like Utorrent for example without changing the installation destination (C:\Program Files), then of course, the UAC will prompt for the Admin credentials. But when the user changes the installation path to their User Folder or wherever a directory does not need Admin rights to install, then its bad news...

So I guess there is a slight flaw in this UAC prompt thing when it comes to applications like these.

Best UAC setting if one likes to be more secure, then UAC setting for Standard Users should be: Automatically deny elevation requests.

Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows

Utorrent is one example, see the image.

win10freak, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt?

1. How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt? - Similar Threads - install software standard

2. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  3. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  4. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin: In our domain, user accounts are not Admins and Admin accounts have no access to the internet. Brilliant right? Except it makes it troublesome to install that software that requires both Admin rights AND internet access with the same account. My work-around for this has been...
  6. Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?: Seems like the recommendation is to use a user account when logging to leaving the admin account to make changes to the computer. However, if the UAC (user access control) is set to always notify and the registry is set to always require a password. Does this fulfil the same...
  7. Security practice - standard and admin - UAC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security practice - standard and admin - UAC: Hi, It is a good security practice to have standard account as primary account and only use admin account when elevated access needed. Is this the same as when i just turn on “maximum” notifications through UAC. This means i get prompt/notification when: - Application...
  8. Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials?: I just installed Windows 10 and my local user account is a Local Admin Account. However, under Local Security Policy settings, I set the UAC Prompt to Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop (for Admin accounts). Can I also use this account to browse the web, check...
  9. Was not prompted for admin password during install (Standard user)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Was not prompted for admin password during install (Standard user): I just installed an update for the Vypr VPN software. I am a Standard user, but there was no prompt to enter admin credentials to proceed with the install. I verified that I am a standard user in settings. I installed another program just 5 minutes before this one that DID...
  10. Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows: How to: Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows How to Change User Account Control (UAC) prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This...