Windows 10: How to install Win10 Pro to a new empty hard disk.

Discus and support How to install Win10 Pro to a new empty hard disk. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to replace my failed system disk with a new one and wonder how I can go about installing a new win 10 bought and downloaded from Microsoft. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJG10, Jan 11, 2016.

1. JJG10 Win User

How to install Win10 Pro to a new empty hard disk.

I need to replace my failed system disk with a new one and wonder how I can go about installing a new win 10 bought and downloaded from Microsoft. I imagine the process would be the same as for a new custom built computer. I miss being able to buy a Windows on a DVD.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Jan 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 creating empty folders.

I have the same issue. Win10 Pro. Installation went smoothly as an upgrade from 7 Pro, performance is fine and no errors. I'm not convinced that it's anything to do with an AV either (AVG) , or the hard disk as these check out fine. I only get a couple
    of additional folders or so each day and, yes, they are empty! It's just a real pain keeping the drive clean manually every day or two. :-(

GlynFogell, Jan 11, 2016
  3. ssd upgrade on laptop

i have a new hp laptop that came preinstalled with win10 digital no disk . i want to upgrade the hard drive. how do reuse the windows for a install on the new hard drive ?

Davidnoggle, Jan 11, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Jan 11, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    What OS was on the failed disk? If it was Windows 10 then there was no need to buy a new copy of Windows 10.

Actually, if it was Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 there was no need to buy a new copy. All of these are available for the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Ztruker, Jan 12, 2016
  6. JJG10 Win User
    It was a W10 disk. The new disk is completely blank.

JJG10, Jan 12, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    I may have misunderstood you. I thought you had a bad disk and then bought a new one from Microsoft and downloaded it. What format was the download? If it was an ISO image file, you would use any ISO burning software and burn it to a DVD disk or use a program like Rufus to install it on a USB Flash drive. If you could explain it so I understood your problem better, maybe I could help.

essenbe, Jan 12, 2016
  8. JJG10 Win User

All I have right now is an USB drive I created using Rufus. I has an early version of Win 10. and it insists it be run from within Windows. Of course I can't do that on account of how I don't have a running system on that computer.

How can I get an Windows 10 iso file from which I can make an installation disk?

Thank you.

JJG10, Jan 12, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    What exactly did you get from MS? Is it an ISO file as essenbe asked? If so, just mount the iso and copy all the files to your Rufus formatted bootable USB drive.

Word Man, Jan 12, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jan 12, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    You need to get the last Windows 10 ISO then re-create the USB flash drive using Rufus. Any version prior to 10586 will not allow a clean install using a key from a qualifying OS. If the computer had 10 on it previously then the install will automatically activate and you will not need to enter a key.

You have to have a recent ISO to start with though.

Ztruker, Jan 13, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    There are no 32 bit only or 64 bit only licenses (at least not for Windows 7/8/8.1/10). The version (Pro, Home, Enterprise, etc) and edition (normal, "N", Single Language) must be the same.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  13. JJG10 Win User

Thank you, Thank you! That is just what I was looking for.

JJG10, Jan 13, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    @JJG10, I'm glad it helped. Good luck with it.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to install Win10 Pro to a new empty hard disk. - Similar Threads - install Win10 Pro

2. Replacing New Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing New Hard Disk: Hello,If I restore a backup image of the system (which contains windows 10 and office) to a brand new disk (same computer), do I have to re-license /re-validate the windows and office ?Answers will be appreciated.ThanksWidows 10, 20H2 x64, 19042.1165 183706
  3. windows activation after new hard disk installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows activation after new hard disk installation: i had replaced and installed a new hard disk after the old one crashed, now there appears to be a message after logging in the system " ypur windows licence will expire soon". i had downloaded a copy from microsoft and had subsequently logged into the microsoft account so...
  4. Second install of Win10 PRO 2004 loses all disk drives in Explorer and fills previous empty...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Second install of Win10 PRO 2004 loses all disk drives in Explorer and fills previous empty...: WIN10 PRO 64 ASUS Z270AR, i7 7700K 4,2GHz. 32 GB 3200 RAM, 1TB NVme Crucial and Samsung 970 PLUS SSD, 4 Hi cap 7200 HDD, Opsys on HDD, MSI RTX 2080 Ti TRIO 11gB GFx card, Previous WIN Ver was 1909 Working OK, no major issues working fine enough for many months Now...
  5. Empty hard drives to install Windows?

Empty hard drives to install Windows?: Howdy, I have a little problem. My system is only causing problems or nothing can be done. I have decided to do a reinstall again. That means emptying the hard disks completely as if the PC was freshly assembled. The problem is I only have the BIOS available because I can...
  6. Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk: So i had to replace my hard drive in my laptop and i'm trying to install Win10 onto the replacement hard drive. I've tried using windows creation tool onto a usb device but when i plugged it into the laptop it didn't boot from the USB drive and i was prompted to install an...
  7. I'm trying to install Win10 to a new hard drive.

I'm trying to install Win10 to a new hard drive.: I get a message about required partition missing. I put the hard drive onto a USB adapter and put a NTFS partition on it but still no joy. What's the story on "required partition" and how do I fix it?...
  8. Install windows with no externa backup and hard disk is empty

Install windows with no externa backup and hard disk is empty: I got windows10 with my laptop. Suppose my hard disc crashes and i need to reinstall the windows and i haven't created backup in external media. How do i install it...
  9. New Hard drive-Install OS without disk

New Hard drive-Install OS without disk: My husband's laptop needed a new hard drive. We bought the laptop refurbished and it didn't come with the Windows 10 disks. We do not have a back up copy. What can I do to reinstall Windows 10? Thanks....
  10. Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.

Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.: A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 Recovery disk and used it to do a clean install of my W10 upgraded installation on my desktop. It went well. Now I find I would like to put W10 on my Win 7 Acer laptop and plan to remove the...