Windows 10: How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10

Discus and support How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]The default mode of Desktop is to auto-arrange icons. If you move an icon or delete or add a new one, then it will rearrange […] This article... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Feb 28, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10

WinClub, Feb 28, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Feb 28, 2020
  3. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor. I am running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1884
    I have seen other posts about this but nothing recent. I am new to using a laptop with a second monitor. Every time I dock or undock the laptop, the desktop icons rearrange themselves. I have autoarrange off and have tried toggling "display desktop icons".

Was this issue every actually fixed? Or just something we have to live with. Its a big waste of time to arrange my icon on the big external monitor only to have them change after an undock/dock cycle. Also, when I undock, the icon location are very different on the laptop builtin screen.

Is there a way to have two desktops that don't change, one for the external monitor when docked and one of the built-in when undocked?

rhodesengr, Feb 28, 2020
  4. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10 ;)

qubit, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

1. How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10 - Similar Threads - keep Desktop Icons

2. How to keep icons from moving?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep icons from moving?: I have two screens and I want all my icons to stay on the main screen but they move every time I shut down. How do I keep them in the same place? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-keep-icons-from-moving/2cd6691a-52f9-46c3-a029-315446f001b1
  3. How to keep icons from moving?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to keep icons from moving?: I have two screens and I want all my icons to stay on the main screen but they move every time I shut down. How do I keep them in the same place? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-keep-icons-from-moving/2cd6691a-52f9-46c3-a029-315446f001b1
  4. How to keep icons from moving?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. desktop icons keep moving in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop icons keep moving in windows 10: Since recent update two days ago every time I turn on my PC all desktop icons are randomly rearranged. They're placed randomly all over the screens with empty spaces between them. The issue keeps persisting so it wasn't a one time thing.I have two displays, the auto...
  6. desktop icons keep moving in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop icons keep moving in windows 10: Since recent update two days ago every time I turn on my PC all desktop icons are randomly rearranged. They're placed randomly all over the screens with empty spaces between them. The issue keeps persisting so it wasn't a one time thing.I have two displays, the auto...
  7. desktop icons keep moving in windows 10

8. Desktop Icon keep moving

Desktop Icon keep moving: My desktop icon keep moving and I unable to keep them still, I tried the method right- click then select desktop unable to select desktop * * [ATTACH] Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers in the Microsoft Community forum. Contact...
  9. Desktop Icons keep moving

Desktop Icons keep moving: So this has been an ongoing problem for me for months at this point. Every time I restart or shut down my computer my desktop icons rearrange in a way that I did not set. I have gone through many of the common fixes and have had success temporarily fixing it through some...
  10. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock: I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor. I am running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1884 I have seen other posts about this but nothing recent. I am new to using a laptop with a second monitor. Every time I dock or undock the laptop, the desktop icons...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icon desktop move after dock and undock