Windows 10: How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts

Discus and support How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a new laptop with windows 10 and would like to add a family member. But each time I add them, either as a standard user or administrator, all... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by CaseyMom, Jun 19, 2019.

1. CaseyMom Win User

How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts

I have a new laptop with windows 10 and would like to add a family member. But each time I add them, either as a standard user or administrator, all our files, folders, and programs are shared. How do I add a new account and keep our stuff separate?

:)

CaseyMom, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

user accounts

Thank you for your response. If you've created a new profile and you have admin privileges, try these steps on how to transfer files from one user to another and see if it will work for you:

• Open File Explorer and go to C:\Users.
    • Look for the account you want to copy the files from.
    • Select the folders/files you want to copy, right-click on it and select Copy.
    • Go to the new user account folder and paste the folders/files you copied.
    • Repeat the steps if needed.

Give us an update on how it goes.

Anne Ros, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Multiple User accounts with separate desktops, how to hide folder on new account.

Hello Dalton,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with files. We will certainly help you.

You can change the permissions of the folders you want for the user account. Try the steps below and check if it helps:

1. Sign-in to your (Administrator) user account.

2. Right click on the File or folder
    you want to deny permission for the other user account.

2. Click Properties and then click on Security
    tab from top.

3. Now click on the other user account from the accounts list
    which you want to deny to open the folder for.

4. Next click on Edit tab and check the boxes under deny column.

5. Click apply and ok.

Now sign in to the new user account and try to access the folder and check if you are able to access it.

Let us know if it helps. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 27, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts - Similar Threads - keep files folders

2. How do I create a completely separate user account?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I create a completely separate user account?: I have a main account that I use day to day for work and general use, however I want to create a new separate account that does NOT share any files, apps or anything with the first account. This is because i want my second account for only games and my first one for only work...
  3. Downloads Folder Organization - How to prevent folders from being grouped separate from files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads Folder Organization - How to prevent folders from being grouped separate from files?: Hello, My mission is simple. How can I organize my downloads folder so that when I choose to sort the contents of said folder by date modified, ALL of the contents are organized by their date. No matter what option I choose right now, it will sort the various file types by...
  4. Microsoft account and xbox into two separate users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account and xbox into two separate users: I am a father that has a 16 y/o son. So when I set up his xbox account, he used my microsoft account. I have several files on my one drive and keep changing my password effecting my son's xbox account. Moved from: Office / OneDrive with Office / Windows 10 / Office 365...
  5. How Can I Hide Users File From Other Users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How Can I Hide Users File From Other Users: Is there a way to create user files or folders that are not invisible to other users. Invisible to mean the other user see absolutely nothing to do with another user. Users in this case to mean Windows 10 "Standard User" Please note that if solution cannot be accomplished...
  6. Setting up a separated user account

Setting up a separated user account: Kind of a weird question, though I'm sure you can guess what I'm asking about. Is there a way to create a user account that is hidden from the other users on a computer, or at least hidden from the initial login screen? Even more preferable, though I'm sure probably not...
  7. Complete separate user account? Win 10

Complete separate user account? Win 10: I was wondering if I can make an additional user account that has complete separate files and separate programs. Such as I have Diablo 2 but I don't want the other user to be able to see that Diablo II is installed. Another example being that I have family photos of my...
  8. System Image with separate user accounts

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image with separate user accounts: Just a quick question. Can I make a system image of recent Windows 10 install which has been set up with two user accounts (one is a child's account) with their own different set-ups, programs etc. If so - which account do I use to select to make a system image from. Just...
  9. Sharing single Onedrive account with two users, keep data separate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing single Onedrive account with two users, keep data separate: Hello. When I sync onedrive, it creates all of the directories of My Documents in the root of it. I share onedrive with my daughter and would like to clean up the root. is is possible to have the PC may a My Docs type dir and then populate it with all of the dirs and files...
  10. Missing folders from the "User's File" folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing folders from the "User's File" folder: This is weird. I've just done a clean install of Win10Pro64 (as I have many times before) and I have something odd happening with the "User's File" folder icon on the desktop (put there from desktop>personalise>themes>desktop-icon-settings). When I open up my user files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to seperate file into new account windows 10