Windows 10: How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts

Discus and support How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a new laptop with windows 10 and would like to add a family member. But each time I add them, either as a standard user or administrator, all... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by CaseyMom, Jun 19, 2019.

1. CaseyMom Win User

How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts

I have a new laptop with windows 10 and would like to add a family member. But each time I add them, either as a standard user or administrator, all our files, folders, and programs are shared. How do I add a new account and keep our stuff separate?

:)

CaseyMom, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

user accounts

Thank you for your response. If you've created a new profile and you have admin privileges, try these steps on how to transfer files from one user to another and see if it will work for you:

• Open File Explorer and go to C:\Users.
    • Look for the account you want to copy the files from.
    • Select the folders/files you want to copy, right-click on it and select Copy.
    • Go to the new user account folder and paste the folders/files you copied.
    • Repeat the steps if needed.

Give us an update on how it goes.

Anne Ros, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Multiple User accounts with separate desktops, how to hide folder on new account.

Hello Dalton,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with files. We will certainly help you.

You can change the permissions of the folders you want for the user account. Try the steps below and check if it helps:

1. Sign-in to your (Administrator) user account.

2. Right click on the File or folder
    you want to deny permission for the other user account.

2. Click Properties and then click on Security
    tab from top.

3. Now click on the other user account from the accounts list
    which you want to deny to open the folder for.

4. Next click on Edit tab and check the boxes under deny column.

5. Click apply and ok.

Now sign in to the new user account and try to access the folder and check if you are able to access it.

Let us know if it helps. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 27, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. How to keep files and folders separate from other user accounts - Similar Threads - keep files folders

2. How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?: I merged my desktop folder with my Onedrive folder accidentally. please help me how to separate them as lots of documents present in the onedrive folder is visible on desktop....
  3. How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?: I merged my desktop folder with my Onedrive folder accidentally. please help me how to separate them as lots of documents present in the onedrive folder is visible on desktop....
  4. How to keep files in a video project separate from other video projects?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep files in a video project separate from other video projects?: I am using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 5. My Video Projects folder contains a copy of every photo I ever added to a video project. Each time I added the same photo to a new video project, another copy of that same photo was added automatically to the Video Projects folder.How...
  5. How to keep files in a video project separate from other video projects?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to keep files in a video project separate from other video projects?: I am using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 5. My Video Projects folder contains a copy of every photo I ever added to a video project. Each time I added the same photo to a new video project, another copy of that same photo was added automatically to the Video Projects folder.How...
  6. How to keep files in a video project separate from other video projects?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How to separate user accounts on Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to separate user accounts on Windows 10?: I've been trying to setup 2 user accounts on my Windows 10 OS; so, that I can separate my Uni work and regular use, but I'm not able to separate the accounts when it comes to the apps and programs. E.g. when i delete a shortcut on my desktop from the uni work account it also...
  8. Hiding files and folders from other users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hiding files and folders from other users: Hello All, I have D drive which has storage of 1000GB HDD. I have added multiple users, thinking that one user cannot see the files and folders of other users in D drive. But evetually they all could see each other files and folders. Is there any way to restrict users from...
  9. Hiding folders from other user account

in Windows 10 Support
    Hiding folders from other user account: Hi all, I have a PC with Windows 10 Home (1903, 64 bit). I log in via Microsoft admin account and someone else logs in via a standard local account. Is it possible to hide the admin account user data folder/s from the local account user while having the folder/s visible to...
  10. Separate user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Separate user accounts: Why set up separate user accounts? I was expecting that each user could have different program icons on their home screen to simplify their use of the PC, but all icons are the same on screens and task bars. Also, is there a way to hide or turn off the brightly colored...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to keep 2 windows accounts completely separate

2. how to keep windows 10 admin user data seperate from other user account

3. how to create folder which is seperate from all other windows folders

4. how to seperate file into new account windows 10