Windows 10: How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD

Discus and support How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently purchased an M.2 SSD 120GB just to be a boot drive for my Windows 10 so it's faster, but I'm not sure about how to keep my files and games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gaworare, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Gaworare Win User

How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD

I recently purchased an M.2 SSD 120GB just to be a boot drive for my Windows 10 so it's faster, but I'm not sure about how to keep my files and games on my 1TB HDD but it still has Windows 10 on it and I'm not sure on how to tackle this situation. I want to keep everything on my HDD so I don't have to reinstall my games and just use my HDD as a storage device and just keep the SSD clean and just only for the install of Windows 10.

:)

Gaworare, Feb 3, 2021

2. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Feb 3, 2021
  3. brify Win User
    Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage (I have 1TB cloud storage with 365) and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred
    any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to
    continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

brify, Feb 3, 2021
  4. How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD

Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD

1. How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD - Similar Threads - keep files games

2. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  3. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  4. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  6. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  7. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How do i transfer files from my HDD to my SSD?

How do i transfer files from my HDD to my SSD?: I bought a ssd and I need to know how i can transfer all my files from that hard drive to the ssd. I deleted enough apps to make sure my HDD has enough space to transfer all the downloads and files, etc, to my SSD. I also want to make it so windows boots off my SSD instead of...
  9. HDD to SSD while keeping files

HDD to SSD while keeping files: Hello, I want to switch from an HDD to an SSD. My intention is to use the bootable media to install a clean copy of windows on to the SSD, and drag and drop files from the HDD. However, I am concerned about dragging and dropping files from the HDD to the SSD, namely, whether...
  10. File Explorer & My Libraries SSD/HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer & My Libraries SSD/HDD: Hi, I thought I had it right but now have 2 different locations for library folders and This PC (D:\ HDD). Both folders are showing D:\ storage drive but up in File Explorer but have different paths. One set was done through Settings > System > Storage The other was done...