Windows 10: How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language

Discus and support How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello new user here! I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct session to post, dear mods bear with me! So, I'm setting up a laptop for a friend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrElement, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mrElement Win User

How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language

Hello new user here! I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct session to post, dear mods bear with me!

So, I'm setting up a laptop for a friend using Windows 10. His nationality is Greek and not quite good with English so I put the system display language, currency/time formats and location all in Greek.

Quite to an oddity though he likes to chat in "greeklish" (which is the term used for greek being typed in latin/english characters). Moreover his initial password for log in is also with latin/english characters. And it's quite annoying that the keyboard is always initializing in Greek layout due to system language selection to begin with.

I'm trying to find some way to keep the system language in Greek along with time/date/currency formating but retain the initial keyboard layout in English (USA). I don't mean I don't want a greek typing keyboard - I merely want the USA one to be selected when the computer boots. I tried messing around with language and locality settings in "Region & Language". But if I set the English (USA) first in list this automatically changes my system language as well, which I don't want to happen.

Is there any way to go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

:)

mrElement, Sep 21, 2016

2. How do I keep "English-International" as my DEFAULT keyboard entry preference in Windows 10?

Hello Shari,

We realize your concern in this regard.

Yes, setting language will automatically sets the keyboard input method to the desired. Say for example, if you set English-International as your display language, then it will automatically sets keyboard input as International keyboard layout. Moreover,
    after setting language and clicking on the Options will give you an option to choose keyboard input language.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Sep 21, 2016
  3. keyboard settings

Thanks, Sarah, but this won't solve my problem since I want to use English as display language but Danish keyboard - i.e. a mixed configuration. If I set Dansk as default, it will make both display language and keyboard Danish, which is not what I
    want.

Since posting my question, I see that a lot of other people who also want to work in a mixed language configuration have the same problem as me.

It would seem that MS have not considered the mixed language configuration as being a user requirement.

What is needed is the ability to select separate defaults for the display language and the input device (keyboard). As far as I can see, it is only possible to select a default package (display language + matching keyboard).

Michael

Michael J H, Sep 21, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I think it's a bug, because when playing around with it, it doesn't necessarily seem to be the Windows Display Language it keeps resetting back to when rebooting. Just now, I managed to get it so that it kept resetting back to my second language when re-booting *Confused.

As such, I'm not aware of a proper fix, but a 'work-a-round' I just found that you can try is go to Settings App, then:

1) Set up your main Windows Display language (Greek), go to Options, add United States INTL keyboard and delete any other keyboards.

2) Add your second language (English), go to Options, add United States INTL keyboard and delete any other keyboards.

3) Then toggle the default language ('Set As Default' button) to the second language (English), and then back to main language (Greek). Don't reboot inbetween toggling them, as doing so will change the entire Windows Display Language to English, which you don't want to do.

4) Now when you re-boot, it should keep changing back to Greek with United States INTL keyboard.

How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language [​IMG]

Addition:
    If you still want to be able to use a Greek Keyboard for typing as well as the United States INTL keyboard, then the keyboard at the top is the default keyboard for that language (see below screenshot).

You can’t drag & drop to change the keyboard order, therefore the order that the keyboards are added determines the default keyboard for that language. So, in Step 1 add a United States INTL keyboard, remove the Greek keyboard, then re-add the Greek keyboard. This puts the United States INTL keyboard at the top (default) and the Greek Keyboard below it (not default).

Now when re-booting, it should default back to Greek with United States INTL keyboard, but you will have the option to set the Language Input Selector in the Windows TaskBar to either:

- Greek input language with Greek keyboard
    - Greek input language with United States INTL keyboard
    - English input language with United States INTL keyboard

ARC1020, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

1. How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language - Similar Threads - keep separate *default*

2. Keyboard language keeps changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard language keeps changing: Hi, The language setting on my keyboard keep changing and switching the keyboard from US to UK. Further, the UK language is not configured on my PC as can be seen in this picture. I have check Office, again UK is not installed (see the other pic). Any ideas as to what's...
  3. default language

default language: How do I change default language in Office 2016? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-language/d8433cbe-e10e-4868-86cc-a683f310fdad
  4. Windows 10 keeps changing display and keyboard language

Windows 10 keeps changing display and keyboard language: Hey everyone, I just got a new laptop and I've had trouble with language settings right from the beginning. The laptop is purchased in Germany and had german as default language. I wanted (and could do this with every windows device in the past without any problem at all)...
  5. Windows keep adding Keyboard by itself & Windows Display Language

Windows keep adding Keyboard by itself & Windows Display Language: Hello Support Team, This is completely frustrating in Windows 10 and I need a solution of that crap. I reinstalled the windows just to try overcome this problem but yet still occurring. THIS IS A BUG OR SOMETHING NEED TO BE LOOKED AT. Here is the problem I have an...
  6. Keyboard language keeps changing

Keyboard language keeps changing: I have a desktop and a laptop linked to the same Microsoft account. Both run Windows 10 Pro v1803. Both are completely in English, apart from my laptop having a Spanish keyboard. So I have 2 input methods configured – one English with English keyboard and one English with...
  7. Keyboard language keeps changing

Keyboard language keeps changing: I have a desktop and a laptop linked to the same Microsoft account. Both run Windows 10 Pro v1803. Both are completely in English, apart from my laptop having a Spanish keyboard. So I have 2 input methods configured – one English with English keyboard and one English with...
  8. Different Keyboard and Display Language

Different Keyboard and Display Language: Hello there. I am deperately trying to keep my english display language, but changing the default keyboard layout to german or french. I did everything described in the web, including Time & Language settings, advanced keyboard settings etc. For the solution with the...
  9. Keyboard symbol keys and default language

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard symbol keys and default language: Since the last big Windows 10 update, some of my symbol keys on my keyboard no not provide the correct symbol and some of the symbols that I need such as the sign for Sterling and Euro no longer function. Also Microsoft Word defaults to English US when It should have remained...
  10. keyboard language keeps changing

keyboard language keeps changing: Since the last windows update my keyboard language keeps changing. That problem did not occur before the update but I can not get rid of it now. system language is English but keyboard is German (for practical reasons). I used override for default input method and German...