Windows 10: How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language

Discus and support How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello new user here! I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct session to post, dear mods bear with me! So, I'm setting up a laptop for a friend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrElement, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mrElement Win User

How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language

Hello new user here! I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct session to post, dear mods bear with me!

So, I'm setting up a laptop for a friend using Windows 10. His nationality is Greek and not quite good with English so I put the system display language, currency/time formats and location all in Greek.

Quite to an oddity though he likes to chat in "greeklish" (which is the term used for greek being typed in latin/english characters). Moreover his initial password for log in is also with latin/english characters. And it's quite annoying that the keyboard is always initializing in Greek layout due to system language selection to begin with.

I'm trying to find some way to keep the system language in Greek along with time/date/currency formating but retain the initial keyboard layout in English (USA). I don't mean I don't want a greek typing keyboard - I merely want the USA one to be selected when the computer boots. I tried messing around with language and locality settings in "Region & Language". But if I set the English (USA) first in list this automatically changes my system language as well, which I don't want to happen.

Is there any way to go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

:)

mrElement, Sep 21, 2016

2. How do I keep "English-International" as my DEFAULT keyboard entry preference in Windows 10?

Hello Shari,

We realize your concern in this regard.

Yes, setting language will automatically sets the keyboard input method to the desired. Say for example, if you set English-International as your display language, then it will automatically sets keyboard input as International keyboard layout. Moreover,
    after setting language and clicking on the Options will give you an option to choose keyboard input language.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Sep 21, 2016
  3. keyboard settings

Thanks, Sarah, but this won't solve my problem since I want to use English as display language but Danish keyboard - i.e. a mixed configuration. If I set Dansk as default, it will make both display language and keyboard Danish, which is not what I
    want.

Since posting my question, I see that a lot of other people who also want to work in a mixed language configuration have the same problem as me.

It would seem that MS have not considered the mixed language configuration as being a user requirement.

What is needed is the ability to select separate defaults for the display language and the input device (keyboard). As far as I can see, it is only possible to select a default package (display language + matching keyboard).

Michael

Michael J H, Sep 21, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I think it's a bug, because when playing around with it, it doesn't necessarily seem to be the Windows Display Language it keeps resetting back to when rebooting. Just now, I managed to get it so that it kept resetting back to my second language when re-booting *Confused.

As such, I'm not aware of a proper fix, but a 'work-a-round' I just found that you can try is go to Settings App, then:

1) Set up your main Windows Display language (Greek), go to Options, add United States INTL keyboard and delete any other keyboards.

2) Add your second language (English), go to Options, add United States INTL keyboard and delete any other keyboards.

3) Then toggle the default language ('Set As Default' button) to the second language (English), and then back to main language (Greek). Don't reboot inbetween toggling them, as doing so will change the entire Windows Display Language to English, which you don't want to do.

4) Now when you re-boot, it should keep changing back to Greek with United States INTL keyboard.

How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language [​IMG]

Addition:
    If you still want to be able to use a Greek Keyboard for typing as well as the United States INTL keyboard, then the keyboard at the top is the default keyboard for that language (see below screenshot).

You can’t drag & drop to change the keyboard order, therefore the order that the keyboards are added determines the default keyboard for that language. So, in Step 1 add a United States INTL keyboard, remove the Greek keyboard, then re-add the Greek keyboard. This puts the United States INTL keyboard at the top (default) and the Greek Keyboard below it (not default).

Now when re-booting, it should default back to Greek with United States INTL keyboard, but you will have the option to set the Language Input Selector in the Windows TaskBar to either:

- Greek input language with Greek keyboard
    - Greek input language with United States INTL keyboard
    - English input language with United States INTL keyboard

ARC1020, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

1. How to keep separate *default* display language from keyboard language - Similar Threads - keep separate *default*

2. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  3. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  4. keyboard language and display language settings and how to press characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard language and display language settings and how to press characters: Hi I have problem with my keyboard,I've recently bought proline v146 so when i press shift and 2 or shift and 3 I don't get characters or symbols I want, I want hashtag and ''at'' symbols. How can this issue be rectified?My laptop only allow one display laguage which is...
  5. keyboard language and display language settings and how to press characters

keyboard language and display language settings and how to press characters: Hi I have problem with my keyboard,I've recently bought proline v146 so when i press shift and 2 or shift and 3 I don't get characters or symbols I want, I want hashtag and ''at'' symbols. How can this issue be rectified?My laptop only allow one display laguage which is...
  6. Language keyboard display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Language keyboard display: I understand that you can switch languages using the Windows key+spacebar. But this only changes the language input. It is useless unless you can also display the language keyboard onscreen. Is there any way to create a shortcut to do this? Or some other method?...
  7. Language keyboard display

Language keyboard display: I understand that you can switch languages using the Windows key+spacebar. But this only changes the language input. It is useless unless you can also display the language keyboard onscreen. Is there any way to create a shortcut to do this? Or some other method?...
  8. Default Language Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Language Keyboard: I'm so fed up with the Default Language Keyboard showed at the right bottom corner of the task bar. I'm living in Canada, but I set up my language is the US keyboard. Every time I restart Windows, Microsoft automatically adds up the Canadian French anf Multilingual keyboards...
  9. How to Remove Display Language Keyboard?

How to Remove Display Language Keyboard?: I always had problems in Windows 10 to define my language preference: Display language = US English and keyboard language Swedish! And I do not want something else no keyboard language switch!. Some updates ago I managed finally to define this only language combination, I...
  10. Input language and keyboard language are different.How to set as default.

Input language and keyboard language are different.How to set as default.: I use English as a language, but living in Spain I use a Spanish keyboard. (Sometimes I write in Spanish) Every time I turn on my Surface I have to manually change the settings to ENG/ES - ENG being the input language and ES being the keyboard input. Every time, if I...