Windows 10: How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops

Discus and support How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I change between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10, the order of applications in the taskbar changes each time I return to a Virtual Desktop. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PossiblyUseful, Aug 18, 2016.

1. How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops

When I change between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10, the order of applications in the taskbar changes each time I return to a Virtual Desktop. Is there some way to retain the order?

To explain, I have a specific order of applications in my Windows taskbar - Directory Opus leftmost, then VMware Workstation (if open), MobaXterm, Outlook, etc. I don't always have the same applications open, but by arranging them in the same order it's much easier to find the right one in the taskbar without really searching.

The problem comes when I go back and forth between virtual desktops. When I return to a desktop, the application (or their icons in the taskbar) are reordered either randomly, or by some logic I haven't found yet. So I start with Directory Opus, then Outlook, then Notepad++, then Chrome - switch to virtual desktop 2, return to 1 and it's Chrome, Opus, Notepad++, Outlook. Not that big a deal with 4 icons, but when I have 10 it really slows me down.

So, I'm looking for ideally a way to lock the position of the applications in the taskbar, or failing that some other workaround.

Thanks

:)

PossiblyUseful, Aug 18, 2016
  2. HDMR Win User

Major Taskbar/Virtual Desktop Bug

There is a very annoying bug with the virtual desktop feature and the taskbar app icons.

The problem occurs when you rearrange the order of apps on the taskbar, e.g., there are 5 apps on the taskbar and i move the first app to the end, i.e., move from position 1 to position 5

Now, if i create a virtual desktop (desktop 2) and go to that desktop, and then go back to my original desktop (desktop 1), the app i moved from position 1 to position 5 has moved back to position 1 by itself. Its original position.

I do not want to pin the app, because that pinned app will show on virtual desktop 2.

Please Microsoft fix this! I want to be able to rearrange taskbar apps without them changing position when switching between virtual desktops. And i want to be able to do this without having to pin the app. Or at least, not having that pinned app show on
    other virtual desktops i create!

3. HDMR Win User
    Major Taskbar/Virtual Desktop Bug

I have given up on Microsoft fixing this issue, clearly a major problem for anyone who uses the virtual desktop feature (obviously the folks at MS don't).

Fortunately, there is a fix for this. Look for "taskbar tweaker". It's free. Once installed, right click on the tray icon and select advanced options. Scroll down the list and look for "virtual desktop order fix" and change that to 1.

This fixes the issues of taskbar icons moving when switching between desktops!

Thema:

How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops

1. How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops - Similar Threads - keep taskbar apps

2. how to change the desktop icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change the desktop icon: There is no place to chose customization like the rest of the folders for the desktop icon ... (as seen in pic) 131788
  3. How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar

How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar: On a Surface Pro 4, running Windows 10 Pro. I want to lock the order of the taskbar icons so that they cannot be rearranged. The 'Lock Taskbar' option does not do this and only prevents the icons from being removed. Any ideas?...
  4. change size of taskbar and desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    change size of taskbar and desktop icons: The icons on my desktop icons suddenly got huge and all could not fit on the screen. Simultaneously, the taskbar icons got very small. I had not done anything intentionally to cause this. I tried clicking settings I got pressing the windows button (lower lft of screen). I...
  5. How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops

How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops: Just an idea for anyone wanting icons for the virtual desktop. You need a fixed number of virtual desktops for this to work. For example, I am using 3 virtual desktops. If I wanted to use 4, I would have to recode it or just not used the icons. - Get a free scripting...
  6. Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed: I have a laptop with a 4k 17.3" display. When set to native resolution, 3840x2160, some programs do not display their dialog boxes and menus in usable form. In an attempt to correct this I have tried setting the display resolution to 1920x1080. Then setting the magnification...
  7. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...
  8. Desktop Icons keep changing to Black

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons keep changing to Black: Each and every time I boot up 2 of my computers, the desktop icon font color is black. I have to manually change them to white. I have tried looking on Google, tried resolving the problem myself to no avail. So, how can I fix this? Acer Aspire XC603G Desktop and Acer...
  9. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173
  10. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed: This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the taskbar now have a generic looking icon. Right clicking on the start menu no longer brings up the menu and when I go to file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keep icons in order on menubaron taskbar in order