Windows 10: How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops

Discus and support How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I change between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10, the order of applications in the taskbar changes each time I return to a Virtual Desktop. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PossiblyUseful, Aug 18, 2016.

1. How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops

When I change between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10, the order of applications in the taskbar changes each time I return to a Virtual Desktop. Is there some way to retain the order?

To explain, I have a specific order of applications in my Windows taskbar - Directory Opus leftmost, then VMware Workstation (if open), MobaXterm, Outlook, etc. I don't always have the same applications open, but by arranging them in the same order it's much easier to find the right one in the taskbar without really searching.

The problem comes when I go back and forth between virtual desktops. When I return to a desktop, the application (or their icons in the taskbar) are reordered either randomly, or by some logic I haven't found yet. So I start with Directory Opus, then Outlook, then Notepad++, then Chrome - switch to virtual desktop 2, return to 1 and it's Chrome, Opus, Notepad++, Outlook. Not that big a deal with 4 icons, but when I have 10 it really slows me down.

So, I'm looking for ideally a way to lock the position of the applications in the taskbar, or failing that some other workaround.

Thanks

:)

PossiblyUseful, Aug 18, 2016
  2. HDMR Win User

Major Taskbar/Virtual Desktop Bug

There is a very annoying bug with the virtual desktop feature and the taskbar app icons.

The problem occurs when you rearrange the order of apps on the taskbar, e.g., there are 5 apps on the taskbar and i move the first app to the end, i.e., move from position 1 to position 5

Now, if i create a virtual desktop (desktop 2) and go to that desktop, and then go back to my original desktop (desktop 1), the app i moved from position 1 to position 5 has moved back to position 1 by itself. Its original position.

I do not want to pin the app, because that pinned app will show on virtual desktop 2.

Please Microsoft fix this! I want to be able to rearrange taskbar apps without them changing position when switching between virtual desktops. And i want to be able to do this without having to pin the app. Or at least, not having that pinned app show on
    other virtual desktops i create!

3. HDMR Win User
    Major Taskbar/Virtual Desktop Bug

I have given up on Microsoft fixing this issue, clearly a major problem for anyone who uses the virtual desktop feature (obviously the folks at MS don't).

Fortunately, there is a fix for this. Look for "taskbar tweaker". It's free. Once installed, right click on the tray icon and select advanced options. Scroll down the list and look for "virtual desktop order fix" and change that to 1.

This fixes the issues of taskbar icons moving when switching between desktops!

Thema:

How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops

1. How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops - Similar Threads - keep taskbar apps

2. Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop: Has anyone experienced this too? When moving desktops in Windows, some of the icons on the taskbar sometimes disappear, sometimes they appear again....
  3. Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop: Has anyone experienced this too? When moving desktops in Windows, some of the icons on the taskbar sometimes disappear, sometimes they appear again....
  4. how do I keep windows 11 from changing the icon order on desktop

how do I keep windows 11 from changing the icon order on desktop: how do I keep windows 11 from changing the icon order on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-keep-windows-11-from-changing-the-icon/612a1546-8ea7-4dc0-91e9-dbfb98d46339
  5. how do I keep windows 11 from changing the icon order on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I keep windows 11 from changing the icon order on desktop: how do I keep windows 11 from changing the icon order on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-keep-windows-11-from-changing-the-icon/612a1546-8ea7-4dc0-91e9-dbfb98d46339
  6. Taskbar icons /apps keep resetting to the "default" icon when pinning to taskbar

Taskbar icons /apps keep resetting to the "default" icon when pinning to taskbar: Hi all,I've been having this issue for ages can't remember exactly when but it has been a while maybe a year and I've been trying to resolve it for ages by trawling the internet and the different ideas people come up with but fed up now so figured I'd create my own post /...
  7. how to change app icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change app icons on taskbar: So i have changed my application icons on my desktop, how can i apply those to my icons on my taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-app-icons-on-taskbar/b04d5cfc-7080-4a2f-8e0b-d18c6ba6bf77
  8. Desktop and Taskbar how to change size of icons

Desktop and Taskbar how to change size of icons: I currently have desktop icons and selected small for their size. Can I increase the size of the desktop and taskbar settings. I would like them about 25% larger....
  9. How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar

How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar: On a Surface Pro 4, running Windows 10 Pro. I want to lock the order of the taskbar icons so that they cannot be rearranged. The 'Lock Taskbar' option does not do this and only prevents the icons from being removed. Any ideas?...
  10. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keep icons in order on menubaron taskbar in order