Windows 10: How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID?

Discus and support How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just downloaded an app from the browser on my PC, and when I installed it I realized something was wrong so I tried to cancel it. But the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tohpatti C. P., Nov 25, 2022.

1. How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID?

I just downloaded an app from the browser on my PC, and when I installed it I realized something was wrong so I tried to cancel it. But the installation process suddenly finished and some files that I didn't recognize suddenly appeared in my folder. I have tried to remove it but cant because the file says it is running. So I tried to stop it via cmd, but it still couldn't because I saw the PID kept changing every time I tried to stop it. And this is blocking me so I can't do browsing with microsoft edge. Can you please help me?

:)

Tohpatti C. P., Nov 25, 2022
  2. imanalien Win User

No restart button in task manager

another easy way to kill tasks, download and install Winaero Tweaker(free) and theres a setting to add a Kill non responding tasks using the desktop right click menu. When you place your cursor on the desktop anywhere and right click the option is at the top of the list, Very handy and you dont have to go through all those steps and well Winaero Tweaker has alot of cool Windows tweaks. Just posting a different suggestion, Im sure your ok with what was suggested here.

imanalien, Nov 25, 2022
  3. Search indexing will not turn on even after resetting the PC running Windows 10.

Hello Wailem,

Thank you for the update.

Since the error occurred interrupting the starting sequence of the
    Windows Search
    service, I suggest kill the task and restart the service by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Window logo + X keys on the keyboard and select the
      Command Prompt (admin) from the context menu.
    • In the command prompt type the following command:
    sc queryex WSearch (Note down the PID number displayed on the window).

taskkill /f /PID number (enter the PID number in-place of
    number, ex: taskkill /f /PID 4888).

net start WSearch

Check if the above commands will restart the Windows Search service in the
    Services automatically. If the issue persists, write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance.

Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 25, 2022
  4. Jessen P Win User

How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID?

Query to enable PID in task manager

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

Perform the steps to enable PID(Process identifier) in task manager.

a: Open Task Manager.

b: Click the processes tab.

c: Right click on the column where it's mentioned name and click
    PID.

Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Nov 25, 2022
Thema:

How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID?

1. How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID? - Similar Threads - kill service task

2. PID number not showing up on Task Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PID number not showing up on Task Manager: I’ve been suspecting that someone may have hacked my laptop due to a couple of reasons…and so I researched on ways to find out if my laptop has indeed been hacked and one of the ways was through the netstat -ano command. The article said to take note of the “ESTABLISHED”...
  3. How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to kill a service from a task that constantly changing its PID?: I just downloaded an app from the browser on my PC, and when I installed it I realized something was wrong so I tried to cancel it. But the installation process suddenly finished and some files that I didn't recognize suddenly appeared in my folder. I have tried to remove it...
  4. Powershell task kill

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell task kill: I have several meeting rooms setup to empty the Outlook mailbox when its closed. So im trying to have a powershell script close Outlook after office hours but if you PS C:\> Stop-Process -Name "outlook" it just kills outlook where as if you manually close it a prompt comes up...
  5. Powershell task kill

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell task kill: I have several meeting rooms setup to empty the Outlook mailbox when its closed. So im trying to have a powershell script close Outlook after office hours but if you PS C:\> Stop-Process -Name "outlook" it just kills outlook where as if you manually close it a prompt comes up...
  6. Powershell task kill

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Someone killed cortana and searchUI.exe task from task manager

in Cortana
    Someone killed cortana and searchUI.exe task from task manager: I was so happy with my newly upgraded laptop...but something weird happened after a month... This happened last week when I tried to search paint on windows search bar...but it didn't even open... I thought the PC was a little slow so I shut it down... and next day same...
  8. PID not listed in Services

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PID not listed in Services: After doing a large network transfer to my NAS my computer started acting very weirdly with processes not wanting to open or close Task Manager, Chrome, etc., I restarted my computer and opened task manager to see how things were performing. I found some CPU spikes so I...
  9. Task Manager/PIDs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Manager/PIDs: Hello, Our IDS was giving us an alert about some clients connecting to external hosts over http. I went into a host and I ran an netstat -ano | find ":80" and i was able to see the connection to the external address with an established connection. I got the PID, and went...
  10. Specific PID not showing in Task Manager.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Specific PID not showing in Task Manager.: I'm investigating an issue with port 80 and have the pid number of the process using that port. But the pid number is not showing in task manager and all services from all users are shown. How can I locate the service using the pid? submitted by /u/Raspberryfx [link]...