Windows 10: How to know if a system image backup has actually backed everything up?

Discus and support How to know if a system image backup has actually backed everything up? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just did my first ever system image backup onto an eternal drive in order to wipe and then restore my computer. The backup finished and seems to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MyTeaJustWentCold, Jan 4, 2020.

1. How to know if a system image backup has actually backed everything up?

Just did my first ever system image backup onto an eternal drive in order to wipe and then restore my computer.

The backup finished and seems to have taken up the right amount of space, but when I enter file history > D on my drive, I can only find the contents of my downloads folder, and no other programs or files seem to be on there.

The rest of the drive is a bunch of stuff I don’t understand like Logs and hard disk images. Is there an easy way I can be sure if the backup worked and I’m safe to wipe the computer?

submitted by /u/MyTeaJustWentCold
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MyTeaJustWentCold, Jan 4, 2020

2. System image BACKUP ERROR in Windows 10.

Hi Subramanian,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Share this information to assist you better.

• What are the steps you are trying to create system image backup?
    • Are you trying to take system image back up on a External device or Network location?
    • What is the exact error message or code you get?
    Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jan 4, 2020
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jan 4, 2020
  4. How to know if a system image backup has actually backed everything up?

Creating a System Image backup - keeps looping

Hi,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

I understand the inconvenience caused, now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

The system image is exactly like the mirrored copy of the Operating System which contains the configuration of the Operating System. When you create backup system image your windows 10 comes back to the same position at when the image was created earlier.

As an initial step, I suggest you to make sure that the services required for backup to run successfully is enabled. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows + R
      keys, type services.msc and press Enter.

• In the services window, locate the services
      File history service
      and the Volume shadow copy service and check if they are running.

• If they are not running, right-click and select
      Start to manually start the service.

• Check if you are able to create a backup now.
    Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article created by

Andre Da Costa
    and check if it helps.

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Step 2: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and then check.

Booting the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue. You can refer to this article for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step
    How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

How to know if a system image backup has actually backed everything up?

1. How to know if a system image backup has actually backed everything up? - Similar Threads - system image backup

2. Backing up System Image with Windows 7 Backup and Restore failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up System Image with Windows 7 Backup and Restore failing: I want to make a backup with a system image but it failed halfway through. I set my external harddrive as the destination and it has plenty of space. Thinking it was failing because there was things on it, I shrunk the volume and made a seperate partition called F. I tried...
  3. Backing up System Image with Windows 7 Backup and Restore failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up System Image with Windows 7 Backup and Restore failing: I want to make a backup with a system image but it failed halfway through. I set my external harddrive as the destination and it has plenty of space. Thinking it was failing because there was things on it, I shrunk the volume and made a seperate partition called F. I tried...
  4. Backing up System Image with Windows 7 Backup and Restore failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backing up system image

Backing up system image: If I back up a system image on an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-system-image/8f04a05f-43b6-4633-b212-400d17fd1a81
  6. System Image Back Up Not Working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Back Up Not Working: Hi, I'm trying to do a system image back up with win10 (20H2) on a new install, but I can't get it working. I don't normally have a problem with this procedure. Nothing I do with any internal or external drive allows me to do it. The result is always a message indicating...
  7. Unbale back up a system image

Unbale back up a system image: Keep getting 'check VSS and SPP log. Logs are not helping at all. Error code 0x81000019. I have checked multiple threads and tried starting services, clean book, check **** etc etc. No other language pack installed. I have another PC that has no such problem....
  8. System Image Back Up

System Image Back Up: How should I prepare my hard drive for a system image back up to DVD/CD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-back-up/d7cd84c5-5317-451e-8f95-d580a3f22aff
  9. Back up System Image

Back up System Image: Hello, I have HP pavilion laptop, and want to make System Image Back up by: Back up and Restore (Windows 7) ==> Create a system image. I have 2 physical disks in my laptop: A- Disk 0 (SSD): Windows(C) + Windows RE tools. B- Disk 1 (HDD): 1- Data (D) 2- HP Factory...
  10. System Image Back Up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Back Up: Trying to do a system image back up on Windows 10.Get error 0x80042302.Shows back up disc disconnected.It is connected.In file history it shows the hard drive any more deals ? 60169