Windows 10: How to know that Windows Automatic Maintenance took place?

Discus and support How to know that Windows Automatic Maintenance took place? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My system is neither dead nor lacking in performance, but if there is such a service I just want to try it out and see the outcome. I am talking about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Shubh Varma, Aug 5, 2020.

1. How to know that Windows Automatic Maintenance took place?

My system is neither dead nor lacking in performance, but if there is such a service I just want to try it out and see the outcome.

I am talking about the 'Windows Automatic Maintenance'. I scheduled it for 8:00 am today, but don't know if it actually happened.

I woke up at 7:45 am and plugged in the laptop and then went back to sleep, my day starts at 9:00 am so it's good if my system gets a maintenance scan at 8.

Now, I don't know how to find it's results.

I checked task scheduler but don't know where to look for it.

Searched the internet but nothing special.

How to know this scan's result?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Shubh Varma, Aug 5, 2020
  2. Rong Jie Win User

Questions about Automatic Maintenance

I am not sure if there is a better name for Automatic Maintenance, I am referring to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.

How I know defragmentation is part of Automatic Maintenance:

• Open Defragmenter.
    • Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.
    • Start Maintenance.
    • Go back to defragmenter, you will see it starts running.
    Since Automatic Maintenance will try to run during idle time and defragmentation is part of it, my HDD is being (partially) defragmented everyday. Is it harmful to my HDD?

Rong Jie, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Rong Jie Win User
    Questions about Automatic Maintenance

I know when my computer is idle, Automatic Maintenance will start to run automatically and when I start to use my computer actively again it will stop. But since my usual idle time is far too short for the whole process to run completely, defragmentation
    of my HDD (which is one of the first few steps in Automatic Maintenance) will never complete before I start using my computer, so I sometimes start maintenance manually through Control Panel. How often should I run it manually for best performance? Will overdoing
    defragmentation harms my HDD?

Also, I am curious about what are the steps carried out in Automatic Maintenance, all I know is defragmentation is definitely part of it.

Rong Jie, Aug 5, 2020
  4. How to know that Windows Automatic Maintenance took place?

How to disable automatic maintenance permanently?

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

In Windows 8.1, you could open the task scheduler and browse to the location: Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Task Scheduler. You could then eventually, disable
    Idle Maintenance & Regular Maintenance. But in Windows 10, these entries are not listed.

In this case, I would suggest you to send your feedback using the Feedback App in Windows 10. To open the feedback app:

• Open Start menu.
    • Type Feedback and hit Enter
    • Follow the prompts
    Hope the information helps.

Harkanwar Singh, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

How to know that Windows Automatic Maintenance took place?

1. How to know that Windows Automatic Maintenance took place? - Similar Threads - Automatic Maintenance took

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. How to change time of automatic maintenance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change time of automatic maintenance?: Every single night, between 2:00 and 3:00am, my computer wakes itself up from sleep. The keyboard lights up, both monitor turn on, and the pc starts making noise. It does this because it is doing automatic maintenance. This wakes me up. Every single night. It wakes up 2-4...
  5. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  6. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  7. how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?

how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?: I'd like to turn of automatic maintenance, just like i did in Windows 8/8.1. It was easy and straight forward, but in Windows 10 it seems they took the options away in task scheduler. Frustrating since i do not want my computer looking for updates or running maintenance every...
  8. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  9. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...
  10. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...