Windows 10: How to launch new Microsoft Edge Browser with admin rights?

Discus and support How to launch new Microsoft Edge Browser with admin rights? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi guys, So we have these tools that need elevated rights within IE to install correctly. In windows 7 we always did the right click, run as admin... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rayb, Jul 28, 2015.

1. rayb Win User

How to launch new Microsoft Edge Browser with admin rights?

Hi guys,

So we have these tools that need elevated rights within IE to install correctly. In windows 7 we always did the right click, run as admin thing. However, now after the upgrade and Edge there seems to be no availability to run it as admin. Tried all the icons & right click that I can find for Edge but not getting the option anywhere.

This should be an easy thing to do, no?

Any ideas appreciated. Tried also with the Edge app from /Windows/Systemapps and it didnt give the option either. Of course if I go back to IE it allows me...

Thanks,
    Ray

:)

2. Olga_Gh Win User

Looking for forum support Microsoft Edge?

Thanks for your interest in Microsoft Edge. We have launched a new forum for this topic here on Microsoft Community.

Visit the Microsoft Edge forum to ask for help or share ideas for doing more in your browser experience.

Please note that all the threads from this location have been moved to the new Microsoft Edge forum.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Olga_Gh, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Mystere Win User

Huh? I can't fathom how anything would require IE to be elevated... What are you talking about exactly?

I would assume that you're talking about some kind of extension. Edge does not yet support extensions, nor does it support (nor will it ever support) ActiveX.

Mystere, Jul 28, 2015
  4. rayb Win User
    Just looking to see how its quickly done with the new MS Edge browser. Don't really want the conversation to go down the path of why. Has a little to do with xml widgets and installation of tools into eclipse environments.

Thanks,

5. Mystere Win User
    Windows 10 doesn't support Gadgets, nor does Edge. Edge has no plug-in functionality.

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  6. rayb Win User
    Yes, but I'm not installing into Edge. Again, just looking on how to launch the Edge browser with Admin rights. Not concerned with what Edge does/doesn't support.

It is a straight forward question I think. No need to dive into other topics.

Thanks,

7. Mystere Win User

You're just not making any sense. If you won't explain why you need to run a browser in administrator mode, we can't help you, since doing so makes no sense.

Edge is a universal app. Universal apps do not function with administrator privileges.

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  8. rayb Win User
    Ok, thats all you had to say. Many thanks for the answer. XML plugins get downloaded via an MS browser and dropped into a 3rd party app and kicks off an install into that 3rd party app. It has always worked fine with other browsers, but with IE you always had to launch as admin in order to get them to install. Looks like we will just have to stay away from using Edge at all.

Thanks

9. Mystere Win User
    You see, by being cryptic you just kept perpetuating the problem, because I had no information with which to tell you what your issue is.

IE is not Edge. They are two different browsers, and do not work the same way. Edge is standards-only browser with no backwards compatibility for non-standard rendering.

Your issue, however, is that IE runs in "protected mode" by default. When you run as administrator, you're disabling protected mode. Protected mode runs IE with "low rights" which makes it much more difficult for browser vulnerabilities to affect other parts of the OS. This also has the side-effect of some uses that used to work in older (read IE6 or earlier) versions no longer working without disabling protected mode.

Universal Apps run in what could be called a "Super protected mode" or a sandbox, which cannot be disabled. This makes them much more secure, and unable to affect other parts of the OS.

Frankly, any app that relies on this functionality is either so old that it needs to be rewritten, or the author doesn't bother to make his app work correctly with protected mode (ie, he runs without UAC and therefore doesn't see the problem). Either way, that functionality needs to be updated.

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  10. rayb Win User
    Sorry, just didnt want to run down any rabbit holes that didn't need exploring.

The issue is this app installs into IBM Notes. Which uses widgets that you can drag and drop into Notes to initiate an install that needs ability to write to system areas. Its only during install the app needs elevated rights. But historically you couldn't drag the xml widget from IE into Notes without IE being run in an elevated state. We are going to have to figure out another way around the issue, maybe just staying away from Edge.

11. Mystere Win User
    That sounds like a related, but different issue. The problem appears to be that you're running the Notes client in an elevated context, and Windows does not allow dragging and dropping files between user contexts (ie from normal user to administrative user). This is to prevent "Shatter attacks", which were a specific type of exploit a while back (some "researcher" wrote a big paper about it, claiming it was impossible to fix... except that Microsoft then proceeded to fix it in Vista).

Have you tried dragging the xml out of the browser and dropping it somewhere as an intermediary (say, to the desktop or a folder) and then dragging it the Notes client? You might also have to "Unblock" the file (right click on it, choose properties, and click unblock).

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  12. rayb Win User

yup, IBM, very sketchy vendor lol.

13. rayb Win User
    Yes, I understand where your coming from. We do use local versions of the XML file that gets loaded into Notes as an alternate install style just as you mention as well as an MSI (still in beta). It seems this method is also now failing in Windows 10 but I have to play around bit to see if thats really the case, i.e. check out properties as you mention above. At the moment the only way the install is working is to run chrome, and notes as admin and drag the XML into the notes client. I'll check/try the block properties you mention with a local XML file.

Thanks!

14. jd2015 Win User
    Ray, I know I'm coming in late and I'm sorry for the astray-dog-clan-psychology that you had to go through.

It is doable, here. Windows 10 Edge cant be opened using the built-in administrator account — Virtualization Howto

jd2015, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. How to launch new Microsoft Edge Browser with admin rights? - Similar Threads - launch Microsoft Edge

2. New Microsoft Edge browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Microsoft Edge browser: Since installing the new Edge browser my text size seems to have gone smaller and is fuzzy and difficult to read. I have the same problem now when I use other browsers as well as the new Edge browser. Needless to say I had no problems before installing the new browser....
  3. new edge browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new edge browser: where can i download the new microsoft browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-edge-browser/5a51e5f6-fae5-46ff-bd65-d089589c5778
  4. the new edge browser

the new edge browser: When is the new Edge Browser coming out? I think its called Edge Chromium. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-new-edge-browser/edb59077-f0f0-4273-9882-da776bc9e220
  5. new edge browser

new edge browser: should i update to the new edge browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-edge-browser/6713934b-dc8b-4a84-afe0-2aa9a5183822
  6. How to install PWA on the new Microsoft Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to install PWA on the new Microsoft Edge browser: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Progressive Web Apps (PWA) are the next big this in the app based ecosystem across platforms. Various companies are pushing hard on their platforms to add support for Progressive Web Apps. This includes Windows 10, Android as well as iOS. [...] This post How...
  7. How to reset the new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset the new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If your new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser is not working properly, you may have to Reset the Edge browser. Maybe the browser starts slowly, is slow to respond, hangs, crashes or generally does not work efficiently as it should. In [...] This post How...
  8. How to manage Data Sync on the new Microsoft Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to manage Data Sync on the new Microsoft Edge browser: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Four years after launching Edge browser, they Microsoft has rebuilt it on the Chromium engine. The browser seems to be smooth at working and does not show any sign on instability as of now. In fact, many have started to [...] This post How to manage Data...
  9. Microsoft’s new Edge browser for Windows 10 could launch in preview soon

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s new Edge browser for Windows 10 could launch in preview soon: Microsoft last year confirmed that it has decided to work on Chromium-powered Edge, the platform on which Google Chrome runs. Microsoft is expected to release first and early build of its Chromium-based browser very soon but the company hasn’t announced any ETA. Some early...
  10. Microsoft Accidentally Launches Edge Browser Extensions Website

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Accidentally Launches Edge Browser Extensions Website: Dedicated Microsoft Edge extensions page revealed early as new Redstone build nears [img] A user by the name of H0x0d on Twitter appears to have found a dedicated webpage from Microsoft asking Windows Insiders to begin testing Extensions for Microsoft Edge. The...